Sponsored Chess Read

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Sabrina Chevannes

Sponsored Chess Read

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:49 am

In my humble attempt to raise a few pennies for Junior Chess, I have come up with a new initiative - a sponsored chess read.
Like all great ideas, this came to me whilst sitting in a pub :)

Most people know that I don't read chess books, nor do I intend to, so they are sponsoring me to see me go through the pain! Want to join in helping me suffer? Then do so by helping to support junior chess at the same time!

Read the details here on my blog: http://chevanneschessacademy.blogspot.com/

Vote on the poll to see which book I have to start reading next week!!!

I'm not looking forward to it!!!

Thomas Rendle

Re: Sponsored Chess Read

Post by Thomas Rendle » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:54 am

I worry a little that, well intentioned as I'm sure it is, this might send out entirely the wrong message to our junior players. Reading chess books should not be viewed as a chore, and if it is then perhaps you are reading the wrong books! Maybe an alternative activity could be sponsored instead?

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:39 am

I think the point is, that I am one of a kind and I am trying to show that it is not good that I am like this and perhaps if I get to read to help juniors for the better then I might see how beneficial it really is. Thomas I can't say there are many juniors out there who regularly pick up chess books all the time and not see it is a chore. The ones that do are already blessed with the enthusiasm and drive and that is great. Why do you think there are so many DVDs and alternative methods of teaching, as reading is not the most attractive method.

My light-hearted idea is to try and make juniors see that I am willing to make an effort to help junior chess, then after a review is written by someone that juniors respect and like (Me!) and who is not seen as a "typical chess geek", they might not see it as "sad" to read a chess book.

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:35 pm

There are a lot of excellent books written with children in mind but I take your point - in any case I agree that anything that raises money for junior chess is a good thing.

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Well...all sounds like a good idea to me...and my small donation has been made :)
I have also felt the need to purchase a copy of "Dynamic Chess Strategy " to enable me to test Sabrina when she has finished it ( not that I will be able to get past page two....as Im a bit of a numpty :oops: ) .
Lets hope there aren't a flood of last minute votes for something else.....
Last edited by David Grobler on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks David for the donation!!

I hope there is a surge of votes as that is the meatiest book of all of them! And I think that is why it is winning!!

kishanpattni

Post by kishanpattni » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:22 pm

Timothy Taylor's Birds opening!!!!!!

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:42 am

Haha Kishan you can put that in as a suggestion for the next batch! Let's just hope no-one votes for it as that will be a killer!

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:45 am

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:In my humble attempt to raise a few pennies for Junior Chess, I have come up with a new initiative - a sponsored chess read.
Like all great ideas, this came to me whilst sitting in a pub :)
Excellent idea - have made my own small donation!

I had a thought also, though not in a pub, so it may not be as good as yours. Instead of me asking you a question - as I have not read any of the books myself - could you perhaps impart a gemstone of an idea/useful tip from the book to me? That way, I get to learn something new also!

Many thanks,

Krishna

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi Krishna

Yes of course! I will be doing a review about the book too, so hopefully you can learn something from that! I hope that this way I can encourage my students to read books if they seem interesting :)

Thanks for the donation too!

Sabrina

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:10 pm

spent about 3 minutes reading Subas book at the 4NCL bookstall (pretending to be thinking about buying it)
err........can we choose something easier next time?

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Oh god, is it really difficult? You are not filling me with confidence!! Good job Chess for Tigers is catching up :)

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Actually it looks a really interesting book. I'm sure you will enjoy it (perhaps I should change my vote?!) Here's the link to the review on Chess and Bridge
http://www.ukgamesshop.com/Merchant2/me ... gory_Code=

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:19 pm

But Chess for Tigers is fun to read, so that can't be allowed - I hear there's a 3rd edition of Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual out - assuming it's similar to the 2nd edition - I suspect it would be a fairly sadistic choice (though of course the content is great - you just don't want too much of it in one sitting)

Actually all of the old Batsford Dvoretsky books that are basically collections of lectures are pretty readable and fine for people above about 160 strength who like a challenge.

Paul

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:33 pm

sorry...forgot to put the smiley at the end of my last post :-)
Actually Subas book looks very interesting....I just hope I can learn something when it arrives in a few days time . Its aimed at players stronger than me...so should be a perfect choice to get you started Sabrina .