You may have noticed that our new Junior Director has asked for volunteers and recommendations for a number of roles he has identified
I would hope that he achieves a wide spread of age and geographical location for these posts, and perhaps the Forumites could be positive and put themselves or others forward for these positions
Phil has emailed a number of coaches, and even people like me, to ask for nominations, but in case you missed it:
"England Juniors Need Your Help!
A message from the Director of Junior Chess and Education
Dear ECF Members,
Plans for implementing ideas outlined in my campaign statement will soon be offered for consultation, specifically regarding a junior selection policy and an elite junior development program. I have spoken to a number of like-minded people about the optimal organization and skills required. I have also spoken with several people who might carry out the required jobs well. Before proceeding formally with proposals to the ECF Board, I want to ensure the entire ECF membership is offered the opportunity to help.
Please contact me if you are willing and able to assist in any of the functions below (‘jobs needed’), or willing to serve in the leadership roles (posts) shown below, by sending an email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Applications for specific posts will be held confidentially until nominated to the Board. Offers to assist with the jobs needed will be forwarded to appointed leaders. The posts shown below are more like to receive Board approval if accompanied by names of nominees. Candidates for all posts must be ECF members. This is your opportunity to join the team who aim to raise standards in England’s junior chess!
• Job needed: Review and re-invigorate the accredited coaches program. Build a development program to support new coaches and arbiters. Encourage continuing professional development of senior coaches along the lines of FIDE’s trainer development program. With the help of a selection committee, invite coaches to provide in-tournament support to international championships. A Manager of Coaching is needed to lead this effort, as well as to fulfil responsibilities in the established job description. Please submit applications by Monday, 28 November.
• Job needed: Design the content of an Elite Junior Development Program. With the help of a selection committee, identify promising juniors and appropriate coaches into the program. A new ECF post of Junior Development Officer is intended to lead this effort. Please submit applications by Monday, 28 November.
• Job needed: Ensure financial solvency and sound logistical plans for the Elite Junior Development Program, including fees, venues, financial compensation for coaches and ECF-organised group travel for juniors. A new post of Junior Directorate Business Manager is intended, reporting to the Junior Director. Please submit applications by Monday, 12 December.
• Job needed: Seek external funding for the Elite Junior Development Program, the National Schools Championship and the County U18/U13 Championship. Assist families of children playing in international championships offset costs of participating. A new post of Junior Sponsorship and Fundraising Coordinator is intended, reporting to the Junior Director and liaising with the Director of Marketing. Please submit applications by Monday, 9 January.
• Job needed: Monitor junior performance in tournaments, both ECF graded and FIDE rated. Maintain a list of current top juniors and help identify potential players for the Elite Junior Development Program. A new post of Junior Ratings Officer is intended. Please submit applications by Monday, 28 November.
• Job needed: Coordinate group travel sponsored by the Junior Directorate, including trips to international championships as well as trips in the Elite Junior Development Program. In the event a travel agency is retained for the bulk of this function, coordination of travel plans with families, coaches and the office would still be needed. A new post, Junior Trip Coordinator is intended, reporting to the Business Manager. Please indicate interest by Monday, 9 January.
• Job needed: Review and re-invigorate the National Schools Championship and the U18/U13 County Championship, conduct special projects with schools and act as a resource for schools generally, coordinating with the Manager of Coaching as required. A new post of Manager of Schools and Counties is intended, reporting to the Junior Director, but overseeing the work of the National Schools Championship Controller. Please indicate interest by Monday, 5 December.
• Job needed: Continuous dialogue among junior chess leaders from regions across England and other national junior chess bodies, and provision of advice from these leaders to the Junior Director. Creation of a Junior Director’s Advisory Council is intended by mid-January, with membership invited by the Junior Director, meeting by conference call periodically, perhaps eight times per year. Expressions of interest are welcome.
I am grateful for those who have engaged with me thus far and look forward to pressing forward to transform ECF support to youth chess.
Sincerely, Phil Ehr"