BEWARE – Chess Coaching Scams

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Michele Clack

Re: BEWARE – Chess Coaching Scams

Post by Michele Clack » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:55 pm

It says Andrew Martin on the ECF Coaching pages.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:58 pm

michele clack wrote:It says Andrew Martin on the ECF Coaching pages.

Sorry for the echo but
The ECF coaching web site will be updated by Yours Truly shortly.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Did a post by Loz Cooper disappear almost immediately? Anyhow Loz I did follow the link regarding coaches:-

Manager of Coaches
David Levens
[email protected]

Peter T

CliveHill

Post by CliveHill » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:45 pm

I believe that this can happen anywhere; but especially with the relative anonymity of a large population centre. I have heard of similar things happening in California. I might be able to glean more from a contact of mine over there.

Gens Una Sumus,

Clive :-)

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:21 pm

I won't quote the comments because there were so many, but firstly Thomas: There is no conflict of interest as my only interest is that of the children. As was correctly mentioned, it is quite easy to know who are strong players, who have coaching experience etc, but only for someone who is heavily involved with the chess scene. Many schools and individuals have no clue. I would not suggest that their current coach is not good and then suggest myself if that is what you are trying to imply. Anyone who has tried to request coaching off me recently knows that I am already heavily subscribed and do not have any extra slots, so why would I do this? I don't believe I am the best coach for everyone, but I do believe I am a good one, or I wouldn't be doing it.
However, there are some that should not be allowed to coach as it is more detrimental than anything.

You have also hit the nail on the head though - the ECF SHOULD be the ones doing this, but they haven't. They have failed to do this for years. The ECF Accredited Coaches scheme checks the CRB, which is good, and then two references, which could be made up for all they know - they do not check them. This is not thorough enough as far as I'm concerned.

Also, the coaches that I mean are often not ECF Accredited, so it is not the ECF faults. Many schools don't even know what the ECF is, so therefore would not understand what an accreditation scheme by them means. I am merely offering those who know me and trust my judgement the opportunity to make sure their child is getting the best education they can.

Secondly, Andrew... why do I need the ECF's backing? I am writing it on MY blog, which has nothing to do with the ECF. I made a comment about the ECF scheme. Nothing wrong with that. I don't need their backing to mention anything. I haven't said I am working in co-ordination with them, as I am not. Therefore I don't understand your comment.

Thirdly, Richard...the situation you describe is very similar to ones I have come across, but instead of their teacher being a very well known GM, it is: "My teacher GM Mr./Mrs. Nobody" who claim to be a GM or an England International. That is what needs to stop.

Now I have worked with some exceptional coaches who have no title, don't even play competitively but are just so enthusiastic. Plus, they know the rules of the game enough to teach the juniors. That is all I want. Otherwise, it is just not fair on the parents investing time and money in someone who doesn't know what they are doing, when the child might be better off watching a DVD on how to play chess!

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Sabrina,

I am not at all interested in who is or is not a good coach or well meaning
teachers who think Knights cannot jump.

The report suggests that there are strangers masquerading as chess coaches
with no background clearance approaching parents, taking their money and having
access to their children.

If you have names or any other information then this has to be passed onto
a higher authority.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:07 pm

Peter Turner wrote:Did a post by Loz Cooper disappear almost immediately? Anyhow Loz I did follow the link regarding coaches:-

Manager of Coaches
David Levens
[email protected]

Peter T
Just for clarity, is David Levens the new ECF manager for coaching? Is it like 'Voldemort' - nobody is allowed to say?

Why is he being so shy about coming forward? He has done a great job in Nottingham with the juniors there.

All the best to him!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote: The ECF Accredited Coaches scheme checks the CRB, which is good, and then two references, which could be made up for all they know - they do not check them. This is not thorough enough as far as I'm concerned.
Of course, this is disturbing.

Have you reported the details of any coaches who have submitted bogus references?

I am sure that the ECF would wish to act swiftly in these cases.

We do not need names in this place but an assurance that you have communicated your worries to the accreditation body would be most excellent.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Sabrina Chevannes

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:Hi Sabrina,

I am not at all interested in who is or is not a good coach or well meaning
teachers who think Knights cannot jump.

The report suggests that there are strangers masquerading as chess coaches
with no background clearance approaching parents, taking their money and having
access to their children.

If you have names or any other information then this has to be passed onto
a higher authority.
This is it Geoff - who is the higher authority? I actually did write a letter to FIDE about this a while ago. I am sure you can dig up old threads where I mention that the ECF Accreditation Scheme should be more rigorous, but they have not seem to taken this on board. I think that an official checking service should be set up and it should probably start at the top - FIDE.

I do have names of some people, but this is not the place to do it. I have gathered information and when someone wants to take action, then I will release the information, but it is not right to just blurt it out on a forum or a blog. That would not be the right way to handle things. After all, I don't care about naming and shaming these people, just want to make the dishonesty stop.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:32 pm

Sabrina - I think Geoff might be thinking of the police. If children are being taught chess badly, that is a thing for us to worry about. But if we suspect they might not be safe, we should involve the authorities straight away.

IanDavis

Post by IanDavis » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Passing yourself off as a chess GM in order to take money from poor kids? A straightforward case of fraud I'd have thought. Although, admittedly, I know as much about the law as Ray Keene.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi Sabrina.

As I said if you are sure there are unqualified and unchecked conmen going about.
(I don't mean actual teachers who get a thorough background check.)
I would warn the schools who would in turn pass it onto the parents.

I'm not 100% on the law but I'm pretty sure these days you cannot pass yourself
off as child coach without going though and passing an examination.
(not to see if you are any good, to make sure you are not a beast.)

You sound organised and no doubt have a network of friends and genuine coaches.
I thought you might have a contact inside the Schools governing body.
One of the teachers on here will tell you how to go about it.
Alex Mac will know.

You have a few names. If these are genuine club players trying to do their bit
then it may all be harmless. But it sounds like there are some out there you don't know
and they may be up to no good as far as the children are concerned.

In chess I often play a move and then think about.
Look before leaping is certainly not my family motto.

However in this situation I think now you have brought this scam
to light it maybe wise to act and warn the proper authorities that
there are unchecked people who may not be all they claim to be be
getting access to kids perhaps falsley using the banner of the ECF.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:37 pm

IanDavis wrote:Passing yourself off as a chess GM in order to take money from poor kids? A straightforward case of fraud I'd have thought. Although, admittedly, I know as much about the law as Ray Keene.
Sounds like it. It probably falls under "obtaining a financial advantage by deception", or something with a name like that.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Peter Turner wrote:Did a post by Loz Cooper disappear almost immediately? Anyhow Loz I did follow the link regarding coaches:-

Manager of Coaches
David Levens
[email protected]

Peter T
Who?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:

Manager of Coaches
David Levens
[email protected]

Peter T
Who?
http://www.chesscoach.co.uk/