Trying For England

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Niroshan Ganeshan

Trying For England

Post by Niroshan Ganeshan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi I am 12 years old and is wondering how to try for england for my age group! Also can i have advice for wheather I should also do e2e4 this november in gatwick to establish a fide?

LawrenceCooper

Re: Trying For England

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Niroshan Ganeshan wrote:Hi I am 12 years old and is wondering how to try for england for my age group! Also can i have advice for wheather I should also do e2e4 this november in gatwick to establish a fide?
I've copied your question to Phil Ehr (Junior Director), David Levins (Manager of Coaches) and Nick Pert (Junior Development) so I hope you will get a prompt reply.

Lawrence

Niroshan Ganeshan

Post by Niroshan Ganeshan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:41 pm

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Niroshan Ganeshan wrote:Hi I am 12 years old and is wondering how to try for england for my age group! Also can i have advice for wheather I should also do e2e4 this november in gatwick to establish a fide?
If you get a FIDE rating at a young age, then you have to be prepared to play a reasonable number of FIDE rated games (30-50 per year) in order for your rating to keep pace with your hoped for improvement. If you don't do that, your FIDE rating will be lower than your playing strength in the future.

If you can do that, then there is no reason not to play FIDE rated events at any age!

Niroshan Ganeshan

Post by Niroshan Ganeshan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Im looking to play in 2-5 tournaments a year such as E2e4 gatwick and british championship!

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:40 pm

From your grading record, it appears that nearly every graded game you've played has been rapidplay. You've only ever played 1 standard-play graded game (up to the cut-off date of 30 June). I would suggest that your priority should be playing more standard-play graded games, to get used to the slower rate of play, and not worry, yet, about whether or not they are FIDE rated.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:30 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
If you get a FIDE rating at a young age, then you have to be prepared to play a reasonable number of FIDE rated games (30-50 per year) in order for your rating to keep pace with your hoped for improvement. If you don't do that, your FIDE rating will be lower than your playing strength in the future.

If you can do that, then there is no reason not to play FIDE rated events at any age!
I shouldn't focus too much on playing 30-50 FIDE rated games per year at the moment. Pick your tournaments carefully and play your best chess that way your ability will show through
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Niroshan Ganeshan

Post by Niroshan Ganeshan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:42 pm

I play a 90 + 5 timed control game on the play chess server. I also play for an ancl team bob.I play. Once a weels so to compensate I thought it would help me

Niroshan Ganeshan

Post by Niroshan Ganeshan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 am

www.anclchess.net is the site where i play!

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi Niroshan,

What a sweetie! Where do you live? You do not have to tell us exactly - just which county - maybe we can put you in touch with your local chess organisations?

Also I think that Peter and Sean are both correct. Do take a look around as to who is running regular longplay congresses nearby to you and go along to any you can manage. Playing for England is now more of a reality for juniors than ever before and Phil will give you lots of valuable and useful information.

It is lovely to hear from a junior with ambition and to see you have been brave enough to come along to this forum. We wish you every success in your quest to play for England!

Kind regards, Krishna

PS if you would like to chat to my 13 year old son - he had his birthday yesterday - and represented England abroad for the first time at the Europeans in Prague a couple of weeks ago, then PM me!

Niroshan Ganeshan

Post by Niroshan Ganeshan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi,
I live in sussex and would like to talk to him by any chance is it Rohan shiatis?

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi Niroshan,

Yes, it is Rohan - have PM'd you. We used to live nearby to you, but have now moved.

Krishna

Niroshan Ganeshan

Post by Niroshan Ganeshan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:34 pm

ok cheers Can anybody please tell me the events we should go to qualify?

Phil Ehr

Post by Phil Ehr » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Dear Niroshan,

Thanks for asking. I hope your parents won’t mind this rather public reply. They are welcome to contact me privately. Please read the ECF selection policy for 2012: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... y-2012.pdf. Anticipate that the basic structure will remain for 2013, subject to what happens at the ECF’s annual general meeting next month.

Target grades and ratings for the “major championships” will be adjusted in November, after data from the World Youth are analysed. Anticipate that county and club leaders will be more involved in selections for the “developmental championships”. I see from the EDF Grading Database that you are a promising player from Sussex. Mr Tuck and other leaders at Sussex Junior Chess are better placed to see you in action over the board and advise accordingly.

Groups other than the ECF also send English players overseas and host teams from other countries, usually at less cost to join an England team in an international youth championship. Most notable is the National Chess Junior Squad: http://www.ncjs.co.uk/. One often-overlooked option is to gather some friends together and form your own “team” in one of the many open-registration tournaments, whether in Britain or across the Channel, with or without professional coaching. Yet another option for team chess is to compete in the Junior Four Nations Chess League: http://www.4ncl.co.uk/jn_entry_form.htm. Sussex Junior Chess also has an excellent understanding of these options.

You should definitely take out an ECF membership and compete in the English Youth Chess Championship Grand Prix: http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/play ... rand-prix/ A boy and a girl in each birth year will be invited to a major championship from performance in the specified tournaments. Most people who play chess on their school team have loads of fun. Ask your school to enter the National Schools Chess Championships http://www.nationalschoolschess.org.uk/ , where ECF membership is not required.

The most important point I’d like for you to think about is your commitment to chess. Although playing on your national federation’s team in an international youth championship is thrilling and well worth the effort, true dedication by yourself and your parents is required. Much more important than playing for England is your preparation and attitude every time you play chess. Approach chess as Olympic athletes approach their sports. Not every talented athlete competes in the Olympics, but everyone who tries their best in a sport they love is better for the experience—win, lose or draw. Who knows… Maybe someday you’ll compete against someone who actually plays in the Chess Olympiad or the Under 16 Chess Olympiad, such as these talented players: http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/worl ... enn-flear/ You might even get there yourself.

Best wishes,
Phil Ehr
ECF Director of Junior Chess and Education