Cornish junior draws with IM!

National developments, strategies and ideas.
IM Jack Rudd

Cornish junior draws with IM!

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Cornish junior draws with IM!

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Interesting game. Is that early queen exchange theory? And looking at the later part of the game (not having looked at this on a computer, Carl doesn't seem to have found the resources yet for parallel computer engine analysis to go with the PGN display) is the piece sacrifice sound? PS. I'm forgetting my manners. Congratulations to the junior (Theodore)!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 pm

The early queen exchange is theory, yes. Theo informed me afterwards that I'd played that line twice before, against Richard Pert and Martin Taylor, and that in both games I'd played 9...e6.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:47 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Interesting game. Is that early queen exchange theory?
Certainly is. The other idea is to play 8 .. Nc6 so as to provoke White to take on b6. I remember Mark Hebden using a new idea as Black against Tony Miles at the 2000 British. A couple of weeks later, I borrowed it (as Black) to get a draw against a local player that I otherwise have bad results against.

It might seem odd to deliberately allow doubled and isolated pawns, but any sense of positional propriety has to be abandoned when playing the Tromp. Or at least that's the way it seemed the last time I went anywhere near it.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:54 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: It might seem odd to deliberately allow doubled and isolated pawns, but any sense of positional propriety has to be abandoned when playing the Tromp. Or at least that's the way it seemed the last time I went anywhere near it.
I had this Tromp game recently that also featured a queen exchange on b6 to double those pawns (though these ones were not isolated). It is very short, so I'll give it here. Not the best of games, but I was pleased to be able to use both my King and bishop to form part of the pawn chain to lock up most of the board...

Ironically, in the final position, my computer engine (Fritz 6, so YMMV) starts out assessing it as about +0.3 for White and then slowly turns to -0.4 in Black's favour. Probably still objectively drawn, and we were both happy with the draw at that point.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Personally, I think White should have done cxd5 before Qb3, if you take with the e pawn Black's king side is looking artificial, if you take with the c pawn then Qb3 is a better idea, then Qb6 you just take and the Bishop of f5 maybe slightly misplaced if White quickly attacks the queenside

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:32 pm

Going back to the original game, I had a interesting game against David Howell back in 2003, where Black played the Nc6 line, where after Qxb6 bxc6, Nd4 e5, Nxc6 exf4, Nd4 then white can play the interesting e4 and after en passent can play Ke2 and Ke3

Some people recommend that Qd8 instead of Qb6 is a better line for black

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:09 pm

That result makes me feel slightly better about this:
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Astonishing result. To think - Jack drew a game!

However, White can play on, I think? I can see that the position looks scary, and that Jack will see any tactical shot in the blink of an eyelid. But negotiating your way through challenges like this is one key step to becoming a better player.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Astonishing result. To think - Jack drew a game!

However, White can play on, I think? I can see that the position looks scary, and that Jack will see any tactical shot in the blink of an eyelid. But negotiating your way through challenges like this is one key step to becoming a better player.
Jack drawn with Peter at Coulsdon chess international last year it stopped Jack winning event outright :wink:

Still good result by the lad to work out a good system against Jack opening.

its a lovely day sun is out and its almost time for lunch :D
when you are successful many losers bark at you.