National Schools Championships 2013/14 - Girls team event

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Andrew Martin

National Schools Championships 2013/14 - Girls team event

Post by Andrew Martin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:35 pm

National Schools Championships - Girls team event 2013/14

Entries are invited to the 2013/14 Girls School Team Championships, sponsored by St Catherine's School, Bramley. Entries may be made here:

http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/nati ... am-events/

As last year, there will be an U11 Championship and an U19 Championship

Matches will be contested over three boards. Age-handicapping will apply in the U19 event. Games will not be graded.

There will be two semi-finals and then a final of six teams in each age category.

There is an entry fee of £ 10 per school, payable to the ECF, to include one team and then a further £ 5 for each subsequent team. We have been forced to take this measure to avoid frivolous entries and unfortunate withdrawals.

The Southern semi-final will take place at St Catherine's School, Bramley on Sunday January 19th 2014, from 10am until 6pm

http://www.stcatherines.info/

Controllers: Andrew Martin and Neville Belinfante

St Catherine's will host the day and provide lunch for all participants at no further cost.

The Northern semi final will take place at Cheadle Hulme School on Sunday 26th January 2014, from 10am until 6pm

http://www.cheadlehulmeschool.co.uk/

Controller : Julian Clissold

The final will take place over two days on 12/13th April 2014 at St Catherine's School, Bramley. The timetable has yet to be scheduled, but it is likely that play will commence in the early afternoon of the 12th and finish at around lunchtime next day.

Boarding facilities will be available to those who need it, at a cost of £ 40 plus VAT per person. This will include several meals and full use of leisure facilites, which include a swimming pool and extensive playing fields.

Any enquiries may be made to :

Andrew Martin

email: [email protected]

It was extremely encouraging to see so many girls playing and enjoying chess in our tournaments last year. We hope for a bigger and better event this year.

Andrew Martin ECF Manager of Schools September 2013

Matthew Turner

Re: National Schools Championships 2013/14 - Girls team even

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Andy,
Many thanks for organising this. I thought the tournament at St. Catherine's was really excellent last year and I certainly hope we can attend again.
I don't know about the Finals (I am not assuming we qualify, but just in general), that is smack in the middle of our Easter holiday, so that might create problems for availability.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Matt

We will be pleased to see Millfield again at the semi's.

I recognise the finals are the weekend before Easter; we tried to find a time when boarding facilities would be available and obviously,before the end of the Summer Term ;)

On another matter, can you post details of the Millfield International this year? I'm about to enter two Yateley Manor teams and want an address to send the money to.

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Given ill-informed speculation on another forum: for the record, yes there will be U11 Open and U19 Open events as well. Entry details will be published in the next week or so.

(Posted in my capacity as ECF Junior Directorate Business Manager)

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 am

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Entries are coming in nicely for this event,with over 30 teams currently entered across the two semi-finals.

Although the opportunity to enter does not close until the end of December, can I encourage ALL schools who can form a team with three girls to consider joining up. Beginners, improvers and seriously good players are all welcome.

By entering you will be supporting the future of girls chess, both in schools and among the wider chess community.

Thanks

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Entries for the Girls team championships in late January are coming along nicely and I have pleasure in attaching some more information.
Chess Flyer and Invite.pdf
Please circulate among your contacts and colleagues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:02 am

We are a little over two weeks away from the first semi-final and so I would urge all schools who have not yet entered to do so without delay.

This helps me to organise the day .

Thanks.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:22 pm

A very successful event today at St Catherine's School Bramley

Qualifiers for the final:

U11. Howells Cardiff A+B , Putney B

U19. Nonsuch A, Burnt Mill Academy, The Abbey School, Reading

Many internationals played; it was very strong at the top of each section.

28 teams and would have been many more had no less than 5 schools dropped out in the 72 hrs prior to the event.

Very generous sponsorship from St Cats makes all this possible. In the end everyone who came had a nice time.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:14 am

Full results - Girls semi-final.

St Catherine's School Bramley 19 01 2014

U11

1st Howell's A 13.5
2nd Putney B 11
3rd Howell's B 10.5

All qualify for the finals in April

4th = Putney C 9.5
Putney A

6th Wimbledon High B 9

7th Wimbledon High A 8.5

8th Walthamstow Hall 8

9th= St Catherine's A 7
Notre Dame A

11th Walthamstow Hall B 5.5

12th St Catherines's B 5

13th= St Catherine's C
Yateley Manor A
Notre Dame B 4.5

16th Yateley Manor B 2.5

An event dominated by the school from Cardiff, who have six strong players over the two teams, most of whom have represented Wales.

U 19

1st Nonsuch A 12.5

2nd Burnt Mill Academy 11.5

3rd = Abbey Reading B ( winner on tie break)

These three teams qualify for the finaL

Abbey Reading A
Guildford High 10.5

6th = Nonsuch B 10
Yateley Manor B

8th Surbiton High 9

9th Yateley Manor A
St Catherine's A 8

11th St Catherine's B
St Catherine's C 5

Age-handicapping came into effect,hence the large number of points!

Nonsuch A deserved to win with a very consistent display. Of course, it helps to have Akshaya on Board One, but boards two and three were also pretty powerful for a girls event.

Overall, a good day.

I would like to thank Graeme Buckley and Susan Lalic for assistance with controlling and the staff of St Catherine's School, who are so generous with their time.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Congratulations Andrew for running a great event.

Nonsuch were one of the schools who entered last year but then withdrew (I don't know how late) when their teacher in charge moved at Christmas. They would have had the same team last year, so I was disappointed when they withdrew.