Brooklyn Castle

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Phil Ehr

Brooklyn Castle

Post by Phil Ehr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:13 am

Tired of election posturing? Me too. Three more days of it until the AGM. Here’s immediate relief:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/brooklyncastle/interview.php

This 34-minute interview with Katie Dellamaggiore, producer of the inspiring documentary, Brooklyn Castle, explains well the special attributes of chess and its role in teenagers’ development. Replicating I.S.318’s inspirational story in England may not be possible, but we came close with pre-teens at Heathside Preparatory School. The documentary film itself is available online until 6 Nov, but only in the USA. The trailer, other supplementary videos and a chess quiz are viewable from PBS’s website. Brooklyn Castle was screened last year at the London Classic. Malcolm Pein is seeking permission to show it again this year.

Readers will be pleased to know that Elizabeth Vicary, the visionary chess teacher and coach at I.S.318, is the daughter of Dr Robin Vicary, Chair of Barnet Junior Chess. Elizabeth claims a three-year programme to take beginners to 1600.

David Robertson

Re: Brooklyn Castle

Post by David Robertson » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:14 pm

A little scrutiny here.
Phil Ehr wrote:Replicating I.S.318’s inspirational story in England may not be possible
OK, let that pass. But has it been replicated elsewhere in America, for example? After fourteen years of alleged success, one might imagine every school in the country would be clamouring to imitate the programme. Yet I can't find evidence of take-up. Odd, surely?
Phil Ehr wrote:...but we came close with pre-teens at Heathside Preparatory School.
In assessing the usefulness of this statement, we need to know how far we're comparing like-with-like. Let people judge for themselves.

Brooklyn Castle, New York City, USA

...(is) a below-the-poverty-line inner city junior high school. (T)he biggest obstacle...arises from recessionary budget cuts to all the extracurricular activities at (the) school. (from its website)

Heathside Preparatory School, Hampstead Heath, London, UK

...(is) an outstanding mixed, independent preparatory school for 3-11 year olds. Fees are £8,250-£11,400 per year. (E)xtra-curricular activities are strengths of the school and the programme has an exceptional impact (from OFSTED report 2013)

In sum: one school educates poor kids from a deprived neighbourhood. The other educates posh little rich kids from a wealthy neighbourhood.

Hhmm...in the interests of world peace, I'll say no more.