ECF U18/13 County Championships 2009

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Neill Cooper

ECF U18/13 County Championships 2009

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:17 pm

This year's ECF U18/13 County Championships are to be held on Saturday 28th February. Like last year it is at Heanor Gate Science College, Kirkley Drive, Heanor, Derbyshire
DE75 7RA (near J26 of M1).

It would be great if as many counties as possible could enter teams. As well as the 12 board Open event there is a 6 board U18 minor (average grade <90). Do encourage (and if necessary help) your county find at least 6 juniors so that they can play in this event.

The U13 event is also only 6 boards. There is also an U18/U13 girls tournament - also 6 boards.

Entry forms from Sally McIntosh, Heanor Gate Science College (as above) (Tel: 01773 830027, Email: [email protected] )

Brent Smith

Re: ECF U18/13 County Championships 2009

Post by Brent Smith » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:This year's ECF U18/13 County Championships are to be held on Saturday 28th February. Like last year it is at Heanor Gate Science College, Kirkley Drive, Heanor, Derbyshire
DE75 7RA (near J26 of M1).

It would be great if as many counties as possible could enter teams. As well as the 12 board Open event there is a 6 board U18 minor (average grade <90). Do encourage (and if necessary help) your county find at least 6 juniors so that they can play in this event.

The U13 event is also only 6 boards. There is also an U18/U13 girls tournament - also 6 boards.

Entry forms from Sally McIntosh, Heanor Gate Science College (as above) (Tel: 01773 830027, Email: [email protected] )
I don't wish to sound negative about people running more events for junior chess, but does anyone know why there should be two "national" events for these age groups? There are the NYCA championships in the Autumn for U18, 16, 14, and 12. Given that many counties / associations (including traditionally strong ones) enter neither, can we say who the national "champions" are in any given age group? Personally, I would rather not go down the boxing road of having multiple title holders for different organisations. The NYCA is affiliated to the ECF, so can't the ECF just liaise better, and allow the NYCA to handle this older age group?

Perhaps I shouldn't complain, as last time we (Berkshire) entered the U13 event, we won! See http://www.bjca.org.uk/results.php?eid=815

Given that it will go ahead, what is the U18/U13 girls tournament? Are there both U18 teams and U13 teams playing in the same section (or jamboree group?), but there is a separate prize for the best U13 team in the competition?

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:04 am

Brent

Good questions to which I don't know the answers about the history. I now that you used to have to qualify for the ECF final at regional events.

It is good suggestion that the ECF U18 be combined with the NYCA U18, unless people now reasons why they should be separate. (The eligibility rules are probably a bit different.)

The entry form states: Please note: Girls’ tournaments may be merged if there are not enough entries

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:12 am

I used to run chess events with Sally McIntosh in Derbyshire when we were colleagues, but now I am at Uni, so cannot find the time to organise them anymore, but if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask me, I still keep contact with Sally, and I believe I shall be Arbitrating on the day again like last year.
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.