Yes2Chess

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Yes2Chess

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:44 am

Andrew Martin wrote:I think it's really important to hear from the organisers on this, because the situation has to have been discussed and, hopefully, remedied. From the stats, many schools have entered, so I would like to hear from them. Maybe it's just my school that is having difficulty. Is it easy to open those ports, particularly if an outside authority controls the school firewall and not the school itself?
A old chessbase article here http://en.chessbase.com/post/first-brit ... ampionship mentions port 6002 although udp/tcp is not mentioned?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:06 am

Andrew

Your comments are again well made and the Firewall issue is a problem that is not exclusive to your school.

Alex H,as Tournament Director,has recently amended the Instruction Guides to try and help schools and Chess tutors overcome the technical problems to which you refer.

As I said previously CSC is trying to solve issues as and when they are brought to our attention, so posts like yours on this Forum are very welcome.

I am confident that as you suggest, with a solution to technical problems, as and when we spot them, and the crucial buy in from the schools, teachers and Chess tutors to make a success of Yes2Chess and to allocate the sufficient time resource required for the children to fully engage, it will be a wonderful and enjoyable event for everyone.

Thanks and Best Wishes

Chris

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:12 am

Chris, surely it is the central issue, as it was nearly nine years ago.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:29 am

Andrew

The Firewall is a crucial issue but we are finding that in many schools where the problem has found to exist the Head or the IT Dept have quickly taken steps to "flick a switch" to overcome the problem. It is a technical problem that can be fairly quickly solved with the support of the school partners-this is partly what I was referring to when I said that if the buy in and time resource was given by all involved, then I have no doubts Yes2Chess will be the major success that we are hoping to see.

Best Wishes

Chris

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Were you aware of the previous precedent?

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:52 pm

Andrew

I was not involved in supporting Internet chess playing prior to Yes2Chess although many of the CSC Team including Malcolm P have many years of experience in this area and are aware of previous problems.

Chris

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:10 pm

I am very keen to see this project thrive. As far as I can see there is no problem playing individual games at home; problems arise solely in schools, as before. What would be really helpful is for one of the English schools who have solved the firewall issue to publish step by step instructions how they did it. I know I would find that incredibly useful. Can you arrange that?

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Andrew

Many thanks again.

I will make enquiries and come back to you.

Do you have an e-mail address that I could correspond with rather than on here.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Andrew

I think that AH may have sent you an e-mail directly re this.

Chris

Matthew Lunn

Post by Matthew Lunn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Felix Magath, the new Fulham FC manager, speaks about Yes2Chess: http://en.chessbase.com/post/yes2chess- ... lix-magath

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Matthew Lunn wrote:Felix Magath, the new Fulham FC manager, speaks about Yes2Chess:
Despite the presence of the CSC logo in one of the screen grabs, ChessBase imply that it's an initiative of themselves and the German Federation as well as the commercial sponsor. Don't CSC usually claim that they started it?

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 pm

Just an update on the software installation: apparently the school in Sheffield managed to contact the LEA and got them to open the right ports whereupon the client worked.
Unfortunately, when the IT person at my school opened the same recommended ports, the client opened but the play chess server could not be accessed. Any advice about what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:Just an update on the software installation: apparently the school in Sheffield managed to contact the LEA and got them to open the right ports whereupon the client worked.
Unfortunately, when the IT person at my school opened the same recommended ports, the client opened but the play chess server could not be accessed. Any advice about what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.
Which ports and udp and/or tcp?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:39 pm

On the road between schools. From memory I think ports
23 and 6002. Does that make sense?

Maybe it is just not me : http://www.chessexchange.com/forum/view ... f=7&t=4329

Noting the date of the above reference, it is pretty incredible that I am getting the same error messages in 2014.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Installation Guide-1.pdf, published 03/03/2014 10:58:08 wrote:3. If, having installed the client, you find that you cannot connect to the server, you may need to allow access to ports 23 or 6002 in your firewall. The IP address is 80.237.188.88.
Therefore you do not need to completely open ports 23 and 6002, if that causes an issue for your school or local authority. Only open them for the given IP address as the endpoint, depending on the capability of the firewall. Carl's question is relevant. Perhaps the school opened up either udp or tcp, but not both? Another problem is that they may filter at several points, on the computer, on their router, perhaps elsewhere on their network.