Chess can be popular in secondary school

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Neill Cooper

Chess can be popular in secondary school

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:17 pm

It is often said that few teenagers play chess. But on Monday over 130 pupils took part in the Wilson's School inter-form chess challenge, each playing 4 games in 2 hours. Over 120 pupils attend the school chess club at least once a week.

Chess can be made popular in secondary school, but it must be enjoyable for them.

John Swain

Re: Chess can be popular in secondary school

Post by John Swain » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Wow (to quote a prominent chess commentator)! Very impressive, Neill!

What time of day did you organise this?

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:50 pm

This was an after school event. For us school finishes at 3.30pm and started the first round just after 4pm. We finished the fourth and final round just before 6pm. Rounds were limited to 25 min with clocks on the top boards (10 min + 2 secs, or 12 min). Lower boards were adjudicated a la Basman (3 points up wins). Scores and pairings were displayed live by projector so players knew the leading teams and the winning house as soon as it happened. With lots of willing helpers (encouraged by the offer of chocolate biscuits) it was all tidied up in about 15 minutes.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:26 pm

I attended a Blitz tournament this evening between teams of 6 in schools in the Birmingham area. It was pleasing to see 14 teams in attendance, a high attendance compared with what it was in the olden days when I played in it.

The tournament was split into sections of 5 and 9, and run on a Jamboree basis. KE Camp Hill won the top section. KES 3 beat KES 2 to win the second section, which sounds unexpected, but KES 3 was in reality an Under 13 team, and had comparable strength to KES 2.

The notable incidents of the evening were:
(1) 1 e4 e5 2 Qh5 f6 1-0
(2) Two players played on long after both of their analogue clocks flags fell. KRR v K. However, K played an illegal move. (Pleasing that none of the kids dived in at any stage to point it out - they knew they shouldn't!)
(3) One player complained that his clock wasn't working. The clock showed 4:59, as opposed to 4.59. (This happened last year!)
(4) A stalemate and a flag down simultaneously - it was demonstrable that the stalemate happened first upon investigation.
(5) A back-rank mate which had the following sequence Rc8# (Black moves) Rc8-e8#. White hadn't declared mate after Rc8, and Black instantly moved due to time trouble, realised it was illegal, but hadn't realised he was already in checkmate until white played Re8 in reply just as briskly.
(6) A player was winning on time and over the board. K+lots v K. K+lots made no effort to defend his lots, resorting to instantaneous moving in a bid to win on time. Unfortunately, it got down to KN v K when K still had time on his clock.

Most importantly, it seemed like everyone enjoyed the evening. :)

Peter Sowray

Post by Peter Sowray » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:59 pm

Any girls?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:22 pm

Peter Sowray wrote:Any girls?
Yes; one tonight, playing for my old school. My old school is the only one of the "big three" chess schools in Birmingham which is mixed, and so if girls schools are to enter, they either have to form a team of 6 themselves, or find a way to team up with the equivalent boys school. This has happened many times in the past, but it's far from ideal.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:43 am

Alex - Great to hear that the Birmingham event still running. If you send me the results I'll include it in my upcoming Secondary School Chess Newsletter. I agree that "Most importantly, it seemed like everyone enjoyed the evening."

The ECF afternoon events I run are more aimed at encouraging schools and players new to chess. Hence I prefer to use a Swiss system to a jamboree, as teams that way end up playing against more balanced opponents. At the most recent event just 4 of the 72 players lost all 4 games, and every team at least drew a match. They also enjoy sitting together as a team. (See photos at http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/ecf- ... rnament-4/)
Peter Sowray wrote:Any girls?
The first afternoon event I ran included a team of 4 from Nonsuch, a local girls grammar school. I pointed out to them that they also had two strong and experienced players. At the second event they entered three teams of 4, and had enlisted these two players. By now they had an even stronger player join the school who was unable to play at this event. From this platform they have recently won the National Schools Championships - Girls Semi-final (http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 25#p130660)