Residential Chess Camp in UK – August

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Paul McKeown

Re: Residential Chess Camp in UK – August

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Another possibility is that the Fulham Junior Chess Club, of which I am secretary and treasurer, is considering opening in the summer. We were requested to do so by a lady who home schools children (in residence with her) from overseas and one of whose home-schooled children currently attends our club. It depends on numbers and finances, but it may well be an option. So anyone seriously looking for this sort of service could PM me and I could speak with the lady concerned.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:14 pm

Andrew, I'm criticising the system, not individuals.

I ran something approaching a Centre of Excellence in Richmond for many years and am currently trying to get us back there again.

The structure I envisage needs to be set up nationally by the ECF or some other national organisation. Individuals can only set up individual CoEs. As Lawrence has expressed an interest I shall put my proposals to him.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Jiri Hollan wrote:Can anybody recommend good residential chess camp held in UK in August
for kids of age 15 with ELO FIDE around 2000 points? Thank you for your advice.
Probably not an adequate substitute, but a family coming to the UK for chess reasons could consider the British Chess Championships at Aberystwyth over the last two weeks of July. It's going to be on a University Campus. Although Junior Championship events are restricted to British players, there are FIDE rated events both morning and afternoon which attract players 2000+ Elo . In addition there are Junior orientated events some evenings and private coaching can be available.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:48 pm

Richard James wrote: But if you want to encourage young children to take a long-term interest in chess you need to promote chess in secondary schools along with a national network of junior chess clubs as centres of excellence.
As ECF National Secondary Schools Co-ordinator I am doing my best with secondary schools!
But not many seem to be as passionate about it as I am!
Tonight though I took 37 by coach to Hampton School and they came away excited about chess.
One of my year 7s asked "How can I get into the school 5th team?"

Jiri Hollan

Post by Jiri Hollan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:20 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Speak with Sarah and Tim Kett. They run residential camps near Cardiff. See http://www.TSKChess.com/
Dear Paul, thank you very much for the lead. Jiri