Selection to European schools

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Rad Kadengal

Selection to European schools

Post by Rad Kadengal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:08 am

I recently came to know that the selection to European schools team is predominantly decided in the UKCC and only 20% of the team from non-UKCC. Apparently this has been a policy/board decision. It is very obvious this is

1. a single-point-failure situation, therefore inherently unfair.
2. a box ticking exercise, the polar opposite of subjectivity in selection.

Could any one explain how such a draconian policy was accepted by the board?
Is there not a move to make this selection more fair ?

Roger de Coverly

Re: selection to European schools

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:38 am

Rad Kadengal wrote: Could any one explain how such a draconian policy was accepted by the board?
The rules are here
http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/play ... on-policy/

The event referred to appear to be this
European Schools Individual Championship, Kavala, Greece 16-27 June 2014

and the ECF categorise them as
DEVELOPMENTAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
These events offer a great experience in terms of gaining international experience and being part of an England squad with access to coaching from some of England’s leading players.
which is a polite way of saying that it's for the reserve squad, those without yet the strength or experience to be selected for the world or European championships.

So I suppose the logic behind reserving places for those who do well in the UKCC is that it encourages participation in that event by awarding extra "prizes".

There's a long history of controversy about the balance in Junior Selection as to whether to only send the elite or invite wider participation. It isn't helped that at a world standard, very few young English players are anywhere near good enough to be challenging to win the events.

LawrenceCooper

Re: selection to European schools

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:39 am

Rad Kadengal wrote:I recently came to know that the selection to European schools team is predominantly decided in the UKCC and only 20% of the team from non-UKCC. Apparently this has been a policy/board decision. It is very obvious this is

1. a single-point-failure situation, therefore inherently unfair.
2. a box ticking exercise, the polar opposite of subjectivity in selection.

Could any one explain how such a draconian policy was accepted by the board?
Dear Rad,

There isn't anything more I can add to our exchange of e-mails on this subject. I inherited 116 nominations from the UKCC and did my best to honour as many of those as I could. I didn't feel it was fair to invite additional players when I couldn't accommodate all of the nominees at this particular event. As we've already discussed though there will be opportunities for your son in the future and I look forward to him being part of the squad at subsequent events.

Yours sincerely,
Lawrence Cooper
Director of Junior Chess & Education
English Chess Federation

Rad Kadengal

Re: Selection to European schools

Post by Rad Kadengal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:31 pm

Dear Lawrence

FYI, I use forum discussions only for matters of 'public interest' (never for individual matters) and would like to keep it that way.

The 'public interest' test is supported by Roger's reply that there is indeed a long history of controversy in this area, that hasn't helped English Chess.

Why did come to be like that? What are we going to do about it ? How are we going to improve the situation ?

I suppose there isn't anything stopping us having an open debate on that?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:18 pm

Rad Kadengal wrote: The 'public interest' test is supported by Roger's reply that there is indeed a long history of controversy in this area, that hasn't helped English Chess
I was referring to an era where contenders for selection at World and European level were expected to waste their weekends playing 5 round G/75 Swiss events against other contenders.

The latest accounts reveal a massive increase in ECF spending on International Junior events, financed by parents. This has mostly gone in the direction of the "Schools" events. I accept the point that you should limit the size of the squad, as otherwise you just get squad members playing one another.

Chess tourism is well established in Greece and to a lesser extent at an individual level Turkey, so there should be a reasonable choice of Open events in agreeable hotels on attractive islands or at popular resorts. Spain, Italy, France, Holland and Germany also have a wide selection of summer tournaments.

I would have thought an unofficial party quite possible. Put together a small group of families willing to travel to an attractive tournament and arrange for an experienced player or coach to play there or visit there as well. Come up with some deal where he or she spends some time on training.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: I would have thought an unofficial party quite possible. Put together a small group of families willing to travel to an attractive tournament and arrange for an experienced player or coach to play there or visit there as well. Come up with some deal where he or she spends some time on training.
I could do this.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:18 am

Although I have difficulty in pinning down any 'official' half term dates (which would be the ideal time to have a coaching event), I've been thinking of offering something like this for a while. The JETS scheme in Australia and the US is particularly popular, a good model, and a party could piggy back onto a cheap event such as Hampstead (as it used to be, at UCS school with IMs and GMs playing) or Golders Green (where it is over a Bank Holiday so we have an Open section), or even a residential overseas tournament such as Malta rating / IM tournament coming up in May with little difficulty. That way we get a titled player or two to coach, and plenty of opportunities for the players to improve their rating.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!