The importance of Secondary School Chess

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Neill Cooper

The importance of Secondary School Chess

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:58 pm

Anatoly Karpov speaks about the vital importance of secondary school chess http://fidefirst.com/?p=1562:
In addition, Ilyumzhinov is actively promoting the Chess in Schools project. I find the idea close to me. The matters of chess interaction in secondary schools around the worlds are critical for guaranteed success of chess in the future, for growth in the sport’s popularity and the number of active players. We started working on these matters a long time ago, but saw little activity and very limited success. Although at some point, FIDE even became affiliated with UNESCO. Campomanes’ attempts to promote chess in schools stand out in particular, but the first tangible result appeared only recently. For example, the European Union recommended that European schools incorporate chess in the curriculum.
This quote illustrates how important it is that we do reinvigorate secondary school chess in England. I believe that it is possible, but will not be easy. Thank you for all the support and encouragement I continue to receive as the ECF National Secondary Schools Co-ordinator as we seek to encourage more "chess interaction in secondary schools around England".

Peter D Williams

Re: The importance of Secondary School Chess

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:This quote illustrates how important it is that we do reinvigorate secondary school chess in England. I believe that it is possible, but will not be easy. Thank you for all the support and encouragement I continue to receive as the ECF National Secondary Schools Co-ordinator as we seek to encourage more "chess interaction in secondary schools around England"
Very few Secondary state schools have a real chess club many of these so called chess clubs only meet when its raining or nothing else is going on in the school.The teachers just do not have the time to set up and run a real chess club of course if you got a teacher that is really interested in chess than that will help but very few state schools have a teacher who is mad keen on chess.For most state schools runiing a real chess club will not help them with the exam league table which is what most parents are interested in.

I like to see Local education authority(LA) taking a lead on this as it may be possible to get funds support for schools who want to set up a chess club.Do you have any meetings with your local LA about chess in schools?
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Neill - Is it reinvigorating secondary school chess, or reinvigorating chess amongst secondary school age children?

I ask because the Football Association decided it was the latter and has seen a marked increase in participation in those age groups. Obviously, this will take some time to filter through to the adult level.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Neill Cooper wrote:This quote illustrates how important it is that we do reinvigorate secondary school chess in England. I believe that it is possible, but will not be easy. Thank you for all the support and encouragement I continue to receive as the ECF National Secondary Schools Co-ordinator as we seek to encourage more "chess interaction in secondary schools around England"
Very few Secondary state schools have a real chess club many of these so called chess clubs only meet when its raining or nothing else is going on in the school.The teachers just do not have the time to set up and run a real chess club of course if you got a teacher that is really interested in chess than that will help but very few state schools have a teacher who is mad keen on chess.For most state schools runiing a real chess club will not help them with the exam league table which is what most parents are interested in.

I like to see Local education authority(LA) taking a lead on this as it may be possible to get funds support for schools who want to set up a chess club.Do you have any meetings with your local LA about chess in schools?
Chess is growing in popularity in State Secondary Schools. Of the 81 secondary/prep schools who entered this year's U19 ECF National Schools Championship 35 were state schools. Of these state schools 16 are selective and 19 are not. The most impressive growth in secondary school chess therefore appears to be in non-selective state schools, in particular Academies.

I find that it is more effective to have direct links with schools to promote chess. In Surrey we have four state secondary schools playing in the League and eight others who have sent teams to the afternoon events I have run.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Neill - Is it reinvigorating secondary school chess, or reinvigorating chess amongst secondary school age children?

I ask because the Football Association decided it was the latter and has seen a marked increase in participation in those age groups. Obviously, this will take some time to filter through to the adult level.
Karpov had just mentioned the FIDE "Chess in Schools project" so I think he is talking about secondary school chess. However, it is important that we do whatever we can to encourage chess among teenagers, inside or outside school. I think the popularity of football is such that whilst we can learn from their experience we cannot repeat it. There are very few places outside schools where you will see a dozen or more teenagers enjoying playing chess together on a regular basis.

However, if you create the right environment chess in secondary schools can be remarkably popular.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Quote-- "Chess is growing in popularity in State Secondary Schools. Of the 81 secondary/prep schools who entered this year's U19 ECF National Schools Championship 35 were state schools. Of these state schools 16 are selective and 19 are not. The most impressive growth in secondary school chess therefore appears to be in non-selective state schools, in particular Academies.

I find that it is more effective to have direct links with schools to promote chess. In Surrey we have four state secondary schools playing in the League and eight others who have sent teams to the afternoon events I have run". End of quote by Neil Cooper

35 is not a large number when you think how many state Secondary schools are in England.In your area you would have a few more state schools interested as you are very keen on chess in school.Of course any state schools taking part is to be welcome but it is a small number and we been over the reasons why before such as teachers being to busy.

The other source of help for a school would be a parent who could help with the runing of the chess club have you tried this?

I am still convinced that if you had direct contact with your Local Authorthy(LA) and the County councilor who is in charge of education in Surrey you may get further support.Why do you not try this? Often County Councilors are unaware of issues and how to help a teacher or school untill you tell them.

Well i must get back to the garden.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:35 is not a large number when you think how many state Secondary schools are in England.In your area you would have a few more state schools interested as you are very keen on chess in school.Of course any state schools taking part is to be welcome but it is a small number and we been over the reasons why before such as teachers being to busy.

The other source of help for a school would be a parent who could help with the runing of the chess club have you tried this?

I am still convinced that if you had direct contact with your Local Authorthy(LA) and the County councilor who is in charge of education in Surrey you may get further support.Why do you not try this? Often County Councilors are unaware of issues and how to help a teacher or school untill you tell them.

Well i must get back to the garden.
35 might not be a large number but it is comparatively large - both as a fraction of the total schools entering the national Schools competition and compared to previous years. I hope that the number of secondary schools playing any sort of inter-school chess will grow over the coming years.

Secondary schools are notoriously bad at accepting outside help, as various parents and chess people have previously observed. I want to create a desire from within schools that they wish to play chess against other schools. That is one reason why I think the LA (or even LEA) and others will have little effect. Another is that large numbers of secondary schools are now academies and so outside the Local Authority influence.