Penalty for an Illegal Move in a Rapidplay Game

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Mike Gunn

Re: Penalty for an Illegal Move in a Rapidplay Game

Post by Mike Gunn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:01 pm

PS A key to understanding the naw laws is that "making a move" and "completing the move" (pressing your clock) are different events. I think I read this somewhere (or I possibly saw Stewart Reuben explained it).

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:16 pm

A crucial question for the interpretation of draw offer procedure is the meaning of 'having the move', and I have still not managed to be clear about this. Do you 'have the move' until you have 'made it' or until you have 'completed it'? Presumably, if the former, there is a period in each move cycle when no one has the move.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:40 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:A crucial question for the interpretation of draw offer procedure is the meaning of 'having the move', and I have still not managed to be clear about this. Do you 'have the move' until you have 'made it' or until you have 'completed it'? Presumably, if the former, there is a period in each move cycle when no one has the move.
Provided it was your turn to move and with a few exceptions, you "have the move" until you make a move. As soon as you have made a move your opponent "has the move", again with a few exceptions. This is written into the FIDE laws.
In a different post Mike Gunn wrote:You do (of course) still have to move the originally touched piece if it is possible to make a legal move with it. (Which isn't the case in Lewis's example.)
This is correct in most but not all cases.