ECF's new 100 Euro Tax on Junior International Events

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF's new 100 Euro Tax on Junior International Events

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:34 pm

Nick Grey wrote:Not sure I like the charge to parents. Seems not right with our other chess organisations policy of charging less to encourage.
Be cynical. Many Junior events, particularly World or European Championships at various levels, are fund raisers for organisers. So book a large hotel off season, get off season bulk rates, charge participants and accompanying people high season prices. You enforce "must stay at official hotels" as a condition of entry.

It's a lot more difficult, in much of Europe anyway, to get away with this trick for adult and Senior events.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:40 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Nick Grey wrote:Not sure I like the charge to parents. Seems not right with our other chess organisations policy of charging less to encourage.
Be cynical. Many Junior events, particularly World or European Championships at various levels, are fund raisers for organisers. So book a large hotel off season, get off season bulk rates, charge participants and accompanying people high season prices. You enforce "must stay at official hotels" as a condition of entry.

It's a lot more difficult, in much of Europe anyway, to get away with this trick for adult and Senior events.
I'm not sure what point you're making. The organisers don't get this 100 euros, the player's federation does.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:44 am

NickFaulks wrote: I'm not sure what point you're making.
That far from subsidising international Junior chess, the chess Federations which run a number of these events treat it as a profit centre.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:54 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: That far from subsidising international Junior chess, the chess Federations which run a number of these events treat it as a profit centre.
That's been true for a long time, although sometimes their plans don't work out - ask South Africa! They take a risk. The difference now is that some of the players' home federations are jumping on the bandwagon, at no risk.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:10 am

With regard to the recent discussions on opportunities for Junior players in International tournaments, the following caught my eye:
21 Other Directors Updates wrote:TW asked the Board to be informed of 4 English players who had been registered to play in the European Schools Chess Tournament in Konya, Turkey by the UKCA. These registrations had not been made through the ECF as the regulations dictate. We are currently working with the organizing committee and the ECU, but so far had received no response from UKCA.
reference
1. Minutes of 95th Board Meeting (May 2015) http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... ersion.pdf

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:14 am

Michael Flatt wrote:With regard to the recent discussions on opportunities for Junior players in International tournaments, the following caught my eye:
That would be part of the ECF's ongoing fight with the UK Chess Academy over access to FIDE and ECU junior tournaments where the ECF would like to re-establish a monopoly.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:20 am

So, will the ECF be applying sanctions to the children and parents over non payment of the 100 Euro levy?

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:24 am

I was about to post on the same point from the ECF's May Board Meeting when I noticed others had already done so. Much the same question occurred to me - when a director "asked the Board to be informed" of these developments, was there an unspoken agenda? Put bluntly, does the Board intend directly or indirectly to discriminate against those four English juniors?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:06 am

Michael Flatt wrote:With regard to the recent discussions on opportunities for Junior players in International tournaments, the following caught my eye:
21 Other Directors Updates wrote:TW asked the Board to be informed of 4 English players who had been registered to play in the European Schools Chess Tournament in Konya, Turkey by the UKCA. These registrations had not been made through the ECF as the regulations dictate. We are currently working with the organizing committee and the ECU, but so far had received no response from UKCA.
reference
1. Minutes of 95th Board Meeting (May 2015) http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... ersion.pdf
Returning to the above item. Can anyone say how it was resolved?