End game studies & problems composing

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Paul McKeown

End game studies & problems composing

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Are there tournaments for juniors with an interest in composing?

At Fulham Juniors we were and still are quite flabbergasted by a 7 year who has taken to composing quite creditable studies in domination, and we would be interested in entering the youngster in any age appropriate competition.

Any suggestions?

Richard James

Re: End game studies & problems composing

Post by Richard James » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 pm

Paul

The British Chess Problem Society ran a Secondary Schools solving and composing competition at Imperial College in April. Schools taking part included Hampton and Westminster.

Details

As far as I know there's nothing for younger children.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Are there tournaments for juniors with an interest in composing?
Competitions appear to be for solvers rather than setters, but the British Chess Problem Society (Brian Stephenson)'s website would be a starting point. I assume at the very least they would publish a composition if it satisfied their standards.

http://www.theproblemist.org/

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:46 pm

Thanks, Richard and Roger, that's useful.

Can anyone provide practical advice regarding assisting a junior assembling a portfolio of compositions?

Brian Stephenson

Post by Brian Stephenson » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:50 pm

I am sure that the British Chess Problem Society would be interested in this youngster. May I suggest that somebody contact our studies sub-editor Yochanan Afek? He can be contacted via the 'Contact' page of our website at:

http://www.theproblemist.org/contacts

Yochanan will be able to judge the quality of the studies produced and advise as to their possible publication.

The recent junior solving event at Imperial College was a new departure for us and we hope that it will become permanent. We run a yearly British Solving Championship, but this currently does not have a junior section. We have tried over the years, but such a thing has never really taken off. As for composing, we publish original chess problems and endgame studies in our magazines 'The Problemist' and 'The Problemist Supplement', the latter generally for beginners, though it does not cover endgame studies. Original problems published take part in annual composing tourneys.