How do you correct a child's bad habits?

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Michael Flatt

Re: How do you correct a child's bad habits?

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:08 am

David,

I am pleased to learn that your club is adadpting to cope with Junior players. Certaintly, having a single point of contact, and possibly a deputy, seems to be the right idea so that all parents and children get consistent information about the club and know who to approach over matters of Junior Chess and child safeguarding.

My only quibble would be over the use of terms like "bad habits". My thought is that it helps not to be too critical about a youngsters standard of play but just accept that they have the ability and willingness to learn and improve.

One other possibility might be to make contact with your local Junior County Chess Association. Junior Chess Associations often run coaching sessions and competitions including EPSCA inter-county matches. If you have sufficient young players, your club might even consider running a qualifying tournament for the Delancey UK Schools Chess Challenge.

What you are doing in supporting your new player seems to be the right thing. I wish you success in your work with Juniors.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:22 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:
My only quibble would be over the use of terms like "bad habits". My thought is that it helps not to be too critical about a youngsters standard of play but just accept that they have the ability and willingness to learn and improve.
On this point I didn't want it to sound as though I was being overly critical of a newcomer to the club, but just to make people aware of the level of standard of play so that maybe those who have previous experience with this sort of thing can best give advice.

Maybe the term "bad habits" was not a good term to use. Certainly with things like etiquette and behaviour it is ok.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:10 am

David,
Junior Clubs very much reflect the character of the individuals organising them. So, please, don't make the mistake of believing that you have to follow what others are doing. You are in the best position of judging what your Juniors need.

I would suggest that you make contact with your County Junior Chess Association and the other Junior clubs in your area. Parents are one of your greatest resource and getting them involved can take some of the load off you. As organiser you don't necessarily have to be the one doing all the coaching!

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:08 pm

In primary school, our maths teacher Mr Toovey would say to us "Not using that piece?" (one you hadn't developed while trying to go for a mate with two pieces) and take it off the board. Mind you he was a pr*ck! :lol:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:14 pm

I thought I would give a bit of a GOOD NEWS update.

He has now successfully learnt how to do the Queen + King v King checkmate, has enjoyed himself, and now his brother wants to go to the club.