European Schools Chess Championship 2015

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Higgs

European Schools Chess Championship 2015

Post by John Higgs » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:43 am

The European Schools Chess Championship starts today - the venue is Konya in Turkey. The event is a 9 round FIDE rated tournament for U7s through to U17s.

The England delegation is 13 players and 4 coaches. The team can be viewed at http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/play ... -the-team/

The official event website is http://escc2015.tsf.org.tr/

The first round is today at 4pm local time and I will post the chess-results link later so you can follow the results and the round draws.

Latest news, photographs etc can be seen via the twitter feed : @ECFJuniors2015

No twitter account? You can follow the twitter feed via this link https://mobile.twitter.com/ECFJuniors2015
Last edited by John Higgs on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

LawrenceCooper

Re: European Schools Chess Championships 2015

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:55 am

All the best to the England delegation.

Live games can be viewed here: http://escc2015.tsf.org.tr/en/live-games including an ENG v ENG pairing in Kumaresan v Willow :oops:

Andrew Martin

Re: European Schools Chess Championship 2015

Post by Andrew Martin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:10 pm

Not the greatest internet in the evening,but here is my first round summary:

EUROPEAN SCHOOLS CHAMPIONSHIP KONYA, TURKEY June 2015

Rd 1 Report

After an extended journey, requiring a change of planes at Istanbul and a delayed coach departure at Konya airport, the Hotel Rixos was a sight for sore eyes as we arrived at 1030pm. The Turkish Chess Federation seems to have this event very well organised and we were all made to feel most welcome. The Hotel itself is excellent, with large, comfortable rooms, superb leisure facilities , varied food and fine conditions for the players.
The tournament has definitely begun on the right foot!
After a long sleep, training began in earnest this morning. Pairings did not appear until just after 2pm and the coaching was of a more general nature just to get the players warmed up into the routine and to let them know what is expected of them here; basically, to give 100% in every game.
We have our own spacious analysis room, with plenty of chess sets provided, a thoughtful touch from our Turkish hosts and the team meeting at 3pm took place there without incident.

So to the games.
England got off to a roaring start with several fine wins, notably from Ezra Brass, Aditya Munshi and Robert Akeya-Price . As the round continued the opponents started to bite back, but we still managed further wins from Helen Archer-Lock, Amardip, Jonah Willow and Yang-Jian, as well as a draw by Thivyaa.

Tale of the tape : 7.5/14
Satisfactory plus!
There are a lot of young, promising players in our party for whom this is their first foreign trip and they are going to learn a lot. The first lesson today has certainly been that as the level rises, the level of resistance rises. Opponents do not lay down and die.
It’s a double-round day tomorrow. Hard work.
Last edited by Andrew Martin on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:26 am

It appears that the organisers are not using chess-results for the results & draws but posting an excel based system.

The results for round 1 and the draw for round 2 for the U7 boys can be found at:

http://escc2015.tsf.org.tr/en/component ... ew&kid=328

If you use this link and choose a different tab for the other age groups ("pairings and results" third from the left on the top bar) you will eventually seen the entire landscape!
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:11 am

Live games that I can spot involving English players in round 2 which has just started are as follows:

In the U15s (2nd board down) Yang-Jian Zhou (board 4).

U13s (3rd board down) Jonah Willow (board 8.) & Helen Archer-Lock (board 17)

U11s (4th board down) Aditya Munshi (12), Thivyaa Rahulan (27)

U9 Open (5th board down) Ezra Brass (10).

Apologies to anyone that I missed. http://escc2015.tsf.org.tr/en/live-games

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:38 am

Results from the live boards; wins for Ezra, Aditya and Thivyaa, draw for Jonah and sadly losses for Helen & Yang-Jian.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:11 pm

The Rd 2 report comes from Glenn Flear:

"The English squad are enjoying the fine playing conditions, and responded with a tough fighting display this morning.
The only slight problem with the Rixos hotel is that the lifts are in heavy demand at peak periods. When travelling, I often get my daily exercise by walking up and down the stairs, but as my room is on the 21st floor I decided to give this plan a miss! So the solution is...patience! However it should be mentioned that Victoria (and her Mum) do grit their teeth and walk up the whole way. I'm not sure if this impressive display of sporting prowess made any difference to her play, but she did win today.
The weather is fine, like pleasant english summer days of about 25°C, although there is little reason to leave the hotel, as everything is on site.

The 10am start didn't seem to faze the ECF juniors who managed 9½/13 from the games played (Anisha had the bye).
The winners amongst the girls in this round were Anum, Anaya, Thivyaa, and of course Victoria (who is now in peak physical condition!). Concerning the lads, Aditya, Ezra, Nicolai, Apardip and Darshan also managed to score the full point.
As for the overall scores, Aditya, Ezra, and Amardip have 2/2 with Thivyaa and Jonah on 1½.

Now the squad will be preparing for the third round, to be played at 5pm local time this evening. In the UK you'll be able to follow a number of our players live from 3pm (London time)."

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Round 3 live games:

U13: Amardip board 6, Jonah board 10, Helen board 23
U11: Aditya 10, Thivyaa 21, Anaya 25, Anisha 28
U9: Ezra 8.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Rd 3 Report

With one game to finish, England has scored 4/13 in round three. Only Yang-Jian is battling on into the night. Nice wins for Bobby Akeya-Price, Anum Sheikh and Aditya Munshi though and draws for Nicolai and Helen.
There have been clear signs that the double-round day has caught up with some of the players, who are simply just not used to the schedule. They appear very tired. We don’t have any similar tournaments in England where they can experience the same conditions.
Economy of energy and an established routine help to achieve good results in a long event. It is no good being fussy about food for instance or you will just tire towards the end of the tournament. You have to sort a routine out for yourself from the very beginning and stick to it.
However, the mood remains good and the kids are happy; that is the most important thing. This gives me great hope that we will score well tomorrow.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Today is round 4 - good luck to all our 13 players.

:D

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:36 pm

Live games today:

U9 Ezra Brass (13)
U11 Thivyaa Rahulan (3), Aditya Munshi (15).
U13 Helen Archer-Lock (25)
U15 no English on live today.
U17 Victoria Sit (19)

The four UKCA players (Nilomi & Tarun Desai, Thattinischal & Thattinandinee) are all on 2/3. They are playing in the U7, U9, U9G & U11G.

Wins for Ezra and draws for Aditya & Victoria on the live boards, wins reported for Anum and a draw for Nicolai on the live result link.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Unofficial scores after round 4:

U9: Ezra Brass 3.
U9G: Anum Sheikh 3.
U11: Aditya Munshi 3.5, Bobby Akeya Price & Nicolai Woltery 2.
U11G: Thivyaa Rahulan & Anisha Sawhney 1.5, Anaya Popat 1.
U13: Amardip Ahluwalia 3, Jonah Willow & Dharshan Kumaresan 2.
U13G: Helen Archer-Lock 1.5.
U15: Yang-Jian Zhou 2.
U17G: Victoria Sit 1.5.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:59 am

From Glenn Flear, the Rd 4 report:

"A day of thunder and lightening outside with plenty of heavy rain. So all the more reason to stay indoors and play some interesting chess.
Overall, the ECF squad managed a fighting 7½/14.
Ezra was first to finish as he bamboozled his opponent in a fiery Dragon. Anum was the next to win, when her preparation came up trumps. However, unfortunately she was the only girl to win on Saturday. Anisha and Victoria drew, but Thivyaa, Anaya, and Helen all lost.
The boys fared better with later wins by Amardip, Yang-Jian, and Darshan, the latter being the last to finish after grinding out a long endgame. Jonah drew, but must have been close to winning, whereas Nicolai shared the spoils in a rather more balanced game. Otherwise Robert was the only lad to lose this round.
There was some nervous moments in Aditya's game, as he became short of time in a position where his opponent was pressing. At the end, just as his opponent was penetrating into his camp, a neat combination earned a perpetual check. Despite this shaky game, he still has the best score in the squad with 3½/4."

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:13 pm

Live boards include:

U17: Victoria (19)
U13: Amardip (7), Helen (21)
U11: Aditya (4)
U9: Ezra (10)

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Here is my Rd 5 report:

Rd 5 of the European Schools has been a tough session for the England Juniors, who have managed 5.5/13 so far with Yang-Jian once again the lone warrior battling on into the evening.

This was a difficult round for our leading scorers and Aditya Munshi, Ezra Brass and Anum Sheikh all lost, although each of the games could have gone the other way. It will be a test of composure to recover and come back strongly in Rd 6.

On the bright side there were wins for Thivyaa, Jonah, Anisha and Anaya as well as draws for Bobby, Amardip and Nicolai

The rest day comes tomorrow and is a chance to relax and recharge. An optional trip is planned into Konya, but do bear in mind that trips can be tiring ,giving a deceptive holiday flavour to what should be a serious chess tournament. I really do feel that rest should mean rest, but try explaining that to children or parents who need a break from the confines of the hotel.
The mood is still good and the organisation of the tournament exemplary. I congratulate our Turkish hosts on such a well-run event.