Juniors playing graded chess

National developments, strategies and ideas.
David Blower

Juniors playing graded chess

Post by David Blower » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:12 pm

When should a junior start playing graded chess (i.e. going into the clubs teams to play league chess against other clubs.)

Is knowledge of the rules of the game enough by itself?

Or do they need some minimum standard which involves not simply blundering pieces?

Or do they need to start winning against some of the other graded players at the club?

I, of course, do have my own opinion on this. But I just want to compare what do other open age chess clubs that accept children do?

I realise there is no prefect answer.

MSoszynski

Re: Juniors playing graded chess

Post by MSoszynski » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:38 am

David Blower wrote:When should a junior start playing graded chess (i.e. going into the clubs teams to play league chess against other clubs.)
As soon as possible when they want to.

I wouldn't impose higher standards on juniors than on adult starters.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:14 am

I would have thought that they should:

be familiar with using a clock (not just blitz);
have had experience of playing a game without (haphazard) conversation and with touch move rules
know how to score the game and to have done so throughout a game without getting behind (though total accuracy should not be expected)

and, as M Soszynski says above, want to do so (understanding that these conditions will apply)

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:56 pm

The decision has been made, that 3 children will be making their debut for the club in January. They are looking forward to it, and as I've partly helped make the decision its fair to say I am a bit nervous.