European Youth Chess Championship 2015

National developments, strategies and ideas.
John Higgs

European Youth Chess Championship 2015

Post by John Higgs » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:05 am

The European Youth Chess Championship 2015 starts on Monday 21st September and runs to Wednesday 30th September.

The event website is http://www.porec2015.org

Meet England's team here: http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/play ... -the-team/

Good luck to our 11 players supported by three very experienced coaches.

Latest news, photographs etc can be seen via the twitter feed : @ECFJuniors2015

No twitter account? You can follow the twitter feed via this link https://mobile.twitter.com/ECFJuniors2015

:D
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

John Higgs

Re: European Youth Chess Championship 2015

Post by John Higgs » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:24 pm

First round pairings are up:

http://chess-results.com/tnr180028.aspx ... =30&wi=984

Good luck everyone!

:D
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:54 pm

The English team has had a very difficult start to the event,scoring 0-11 in Round One.

We have to get off to bed, regroup and come out fighting hard tomorrow.

Rd 2 starts at 10am

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:06 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:The English team has had a very difficult start to the event
They do seem to have been overwhelmingly outrated, I'm sure things will pick up.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:51 pm

I win no friends from the sentimental. Nevertheless...

Why do we send these guys before they're ready? 0-11 will not be how it ends. But who's denying what we really know here?

Rethink urgently needed, with short-, medium-, and long-term targets and objectives agreed. The ECF Academy must be supported as a priority

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:23 pm

Ireland was also heavily outranked on each board but managed four draws.
Two of our team have a 0-point bye tomorrow.
I'm not clear how the scoring for this events works.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:09 pm

Tim Harding wrote: Two of our team have a 0-point bye tomorrow.
I'm not clear how the scoring for this events works.
I would suspect it's really a full point bye, unless they have indicated that they want the day off.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:16 pm

David Robertson wrote:I win no friends from the sentimental. Nevertheless...

Why do we send these guys before they're ready? 0-11 will not be how it ends. But who's denying what we really know here?

Rethink urgently needed, with short-, medium-, and long-term targets and objectives agreed. The ECF Academy must be supported as a priority
One only needs to look at the ratings to realise that many of the English juniors will find this tournament very tough, but if the players and parents know what to expect then what is the problem?
Actually, I think the fact the England has a smaller and weaker squad than they have had for many years is a positive. The truth is that a significant number of England's better players are turning away from these tournaments and choosing instead to go to Vienna or the Politiken or Riga or the Euro U18 Team Champs. Ultimately that will be much better for the development of their chess.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:50 am

Given that we are on the edge of Europe, most if not all of the opponents will have had better journeys to the tournament than our players. The ratings are not that reliable and the standings at the half way stage will provide a much better guide as to how the team are likely to perform overall, it is far too soon to start drawing any conclusions.

I have little doubt that the team will score over 50% today :)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:38 am

David Robertson wrote:I win no friends from the sentimental. Nevertheless...

I'm prepared to let them play nine rounds, rather than one before making any judgement. Several of the players representing England have taken the sensible route of playing in World/European Schools events and have been active in the summer, others have played in major events before and scored well. I think a more critical test will be the World Youth which is being held around the October half term time and because of this (and the location)
has attracted double the number of players and some of our more experienced players eg Akshaya & Ravi.
http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/play ... -the-team/

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:48 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:One only needs to look at the ratings to realise that many of the English juniors will find this tournament very tough, but if the players and parents know what to expect then what is the problem?
Actually, I think the fact the England has a smaller and weaker squad than they have had for many years is a positive. The truth is that a significant number of England's better players are turning away from these tournaments and choosing instead to go to Vienna or the Politiken or Riga or the Euro U18 Team Champs. Ultimately that will be much better for the development of their chess.
I defer to those with greater professional experience of the relevant age groups. Mine derives principally from being a parent. If thoughtful professionals - teachers and so forth, including involved parents - think there's no problem, then I'd be wise to take note. But it strikes me that there could be a problem. It's the problem of the mismatch, and its impact on morale within the developing youngster. A few may rise to the challenge of regular setbacks. But most will become discouraged. For sure, we have only a first round. It is likely an outlier, and results will improve. But the potential for mismatches remains throughout. It can't be good; it could get dispiriting. And a thought for the coaches too: how are they to lift the capacity and spirits of youngsters where the ability gap is too wide to bridge in the time to hand?

And is it really better for their chess? Do we have evidence for this oft-asserted claim? Obviously, as part of a winnowing process, those that 'survive' and subsequently thrive provide some evidence. But what, in fact, is the attrition (drop-out) rate overall? I only ask
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderated to add full quote by request.

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:01 pm

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:33 pm

50% today with wins for Karthik, Bobby, Amudhan, Zoe, Anum and a draw for Tristian.

http://chess-results.com/tnr180028.aspx ... =30&wi=984

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Not the easiest of pairings for Stephen Whatley on 0/2 in the U16's he is paired with a 2455 IM who is the number 1 seed :(

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:34 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Matthew Turner wrote:...if the players and parents know what to expect then what is the problem? (snip) Ultimately that will be much better for the development of their chess.
David has deliberately sought to misrepresent my comments here by connecting two unrelated comments. So, for the avoidance of confusion I have requoted my original comments.
Matthew Turner wrote: One only needs to look at the ratings to realise that many of the English juniors will find this tournament very tough, but if the players and parents know what to expect then what is the problem?
Best of luck to everyone today. Anyone else noted that the round times are a bit bizarre 3pm then 10am and today 5pm - difficult for all the players (not just the English ones, of course) to get into a rhythm.