Free junior silver membership

National developments, strategies and ideas.
David Blower

Free junior silver membership

Post by David Blower » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Anyone took advantage of this?

Neill Cooper

Re: Free junior silver membership

Post by Neill Cooper » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:37 am

Yes, it has been very useful.
You can find the past and present FREE members by downloading the memberships lists from the ECF website.
At present there are 177 such members of the ECF.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:04 am

Total agreement with Neil, local club has registered three or four juniors free this year already. Probably another 8-10 during 2014-15 but, of course, they won't be eligible again this year!

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:41 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:Total agreement with Neil, local club has registered three or four juniors free this year already. Probably another 8-10 during 2014-15 but, of course, they won't be eligible again this year!
Afternoon friends :wink:

Its only any good if the children carry on being members and contine to play chess.I wonder how many are members for one year then drop out.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:21 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:Its only any good if the children carry on being members and contine to play chess.I wonder how many are members for one year then drop out.
Dave Thomas provided an excellent membership analysis at the April ECF meeting. You can download it from http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... 015-v2.pdf
Whilst only about 41% of the free members rejoined by April the following year, that is not much lower than the 57% rate for Junior bronze.

I have found the free junior membership a valuable way of promoting chess at school.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:28 pm

Game fees are currently £2.50 for a standard play match, and £1.25 for a rapidplay match. We have currently two junior members who are not yet members of the ECF, but are paid up members of our club, (we have the fees for the club, and the ECF done separately to each other.) They have only just joined the club so would be eligible for the free silver junior membership of the ECF.

As you know ECF bronze junior membership is £11 per year.

The question comes because I don't want to "waste" the free year of membership.

Can you play club members, who are not members of the ECF, and pay the game fees (which should be less than £11) and then use the free ECF silver membership for the year after?

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:00 am

David Blower wrote
Can you play club members, who are not members of the ECF, and pay the game fees (which should be less than £11) and then use the free ECF silver membership for the year after?
The answer to your question is yes - the fact that some graded games may have been played previously in no way prevents a subsequent free junior silver membership from being obtained. The only restriction (apart from the self-evident need to be a junior) is that no ECF membership of any description has previously been held.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks, and perfect. Just the answer I was after! All I have to worry about then is getting our juniors better at chess!