Pennine Cup 2016

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Paul Bielby

Pennine Cup 2016

Post by Paul Bielby » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:44 pm

The NCCU Pennine Cup was founded several years ago by Gary Kenworthy as a team competition between the Northern Counties at an Under-16 level.

This year it was Northumberland's turn to hold the competition in Newcastle on 27th March.. Disappointingly the more southerly of the Northern Counties were unable to raise teams and the event was reduced to a straight match between Cumbria and Northumberland. Northumberland had picked a particularly strong team - they had hoped to be able to put one over on the bigger counties, Yorkshire and Lancashire, but no show from them. The result was a bit one-sided, but everybody enjoyed a good days chess, As organiser I was very grateful to Kevin Southernwood and his Cumbria side for crossing the Pennines and making the event possible. Also to our hosts for the day, Forest Hall Chess Club. Detailed results with photographs are on http://www.njca.org.uk and on the Cumbria and NCCU websites

John Reyes

Re: Pennine Cup 2016

Post by John Reyes » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Why did Lancashire and Yorkshire never turn up?

Also did you not think of invited other teams?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:21 pm

Almost certainly disorganisation, esp for Yorkshire.

Great to see Cumbria bringing a team :)

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:29 pm

I would be interested to know who from Yorkshire was approached. While Martin may have a point he is well aware that those people willing to take on organisational positions within the YCA are in a minority and are very overstretched.

I believe a Yorkshire based organiser ran the event a few years back and put a lot of effort into it. He resigned out of frustration that elements within the NCCU would not take action to end the long running feud involving Manchester.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:54 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:I would be interested to know who from Yorkshire was approached. While Martin may have a point he is well aware that those people willing to take on organisational positions within the YCA are in a minority and are very overstretched.

I believe a Yorkshire based organiser ran the event a few years back and put a lot of effort into it. He resigned out of frustration that elements within the NCCU would not take action to end the long running feud involving Manchester.
Despite a Greater Manchester junior team playing in the event :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:20 am

:(

I definitely meant more overstretched/generalised apathy rather than anything else.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:50 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote::(

I definitely meant more overstretched/generalised apathy rather than anything else.
That is why I would be interested to know exactly who in Yorkshire was contacted. There have been personnel changes in recent years and the information may have got lost somewhere. As for `overstretched/ generalised apathy` the solution is for new volunteers to get involved and help out. Since I'm sure you didn't mean to make a sweeping criticism of the YCA team I can assure you that we are happy to sign you up.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own