Glorney Gilbert International 2016

National developments, strategies and ideas.
David Shepherd

Re: Glorney Gilbert International 2016

Post by David Shepherd » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:35 am

Over the last few years the English teams have been published well in advance - the other nations teams haven't. Given this is a team event where all teams play all, this has possibly put the English players at a disadvantage as the other teams players can work out who their opponents are and prepare in advance. There is therefore some logic for not publishing the team names until required.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:16 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
3. England teams. I was contacted 4 days before the event began by someone involved with the England teams (and I’d like to remain on speaking terms with the person in question so I’ll call him or her X) who needed information about certain team members. With a well-organised event, that information should already have been to hand.
On that specific point, as the "X" involved the issue was the lack of an e-mail response from the relevant player/family. With your help I was able to gain the required response and to act accordingly.

Mike_Forster

Post by Mike_Forster » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:40 am

In general - for a large swiss competition (with many separate age rage competitions within it) - it is fine to publish the squad in advance. For an event such as the Glorney with a total squad of 20, where the whole squad of 20 plays each other squad of 20 - and the team are usually placed in grade order - it is unfair on the English teams to publish their names prior to the competition start. The other teams are declared on the Sunday night of the event. I would hope that we continue to delay until a similar time in future. The relevant coaches had their team lists in good time and were instrumental in deciding the board order of their teams.
regards
Mike

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:46 am

Mike_Forster wrote: it is unfair on the English teams to publish their names prior to the competition start.
I didn't think the English teams were actually trying to win the event. Isn't it rather like an attitude some clubs take to team selection? For the first and second teams, attempt to select the strongest available. For the third team, ensure that everyone in the club gets to play in a match from time to time.

If the ECF was actually trying to win the Glorney, should it not send in some or all of the heavyweights, players qualified to play in the British Championships for example?

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:02 am

The English teams that are selected, are trying to win the event, and also have ratings to consider. Whether a balanced team is selected in order to provide a reasonably equal competition and give experience to a range of players is a slightly different issue.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:24 am

As to England team selections, that’s a rather different question. I don’t think it’s fair or reasonable to disparage the efforts of a group of youngsters who achieved entirely reasonable results (as always, some better than others) and deserve full credit for doing so. At the same time, it’s undeniable that the England teams could have been stronger.

However, others have made the points that (a) these are developmental events from which the very top juniors are excluded (b) many state schools are still open, sometimes making it problematical for pupils there to take 3 days off, and (c) parents/coaches, not all of whom follow the ECF website assiduously, had to be aware that they needed to register interest by 31 March. Taking these factors together, it’s easy to see how they might have restricted choice. Whether they did so, I know not.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:48 pm

I would like to have seen the names of the organisers and officials somewhere on the event website. It seems to me that would provide suitable acknowledgement to those who devoted much time and effort in putting together a successful event.

Has it yet been decided where next year's event will be hosted?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Is it just me or was the location of the event not widely publicised?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:Is it just me or was the location of the event not widely publicised?
Not just the location, the event itself. It isn't in the ECF's tournament calendar.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... lendar.pdf

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:13 pm

I'll risk being a broken record and repeat that the absence of advance publicity was one of the features I identified here on Wednesday evening. Anyone wanting to go along would have needed to be resourceful to uncover the where and when. (Next year, I think, it's Wales's turn so I imagine the answer to Michael's question is Cardiff).

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:Has it yet been decided where next year's event will be hosted?
I read Cardiff 2017, but can't find where :oops: so I'd agree with Roger L on that

The nearly 3 hours I spent at the Bury FC AGM last night appears to have fried my brain completely (it could have been the explosion when my bullshitometer blew up :lol: )
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Mick Norris wrote: I read Cardiff 2017, but can't find where
The Irish Chess Union calendar has it as 23rd to 27th July in Cardiff with the caveat

https://www.icu.ie/events/731
DATES and VENUE PROVISIONAL - Subject to final confirmation around April 2017
That's finishing the day before the start of the British Chess Championship Congress in Llandudno on Friday 28th.

The World Under 16 Olympiad starts tomorrow. There are Scottish and Irish teams, but no English team.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:07 pm

I assumed I read it in the Irish report, but maybe not

If it finishes in Cardiff on the Thursday, then presumably the ability to travel on the Friday up to Llandudno would be ok, or is that not enough time?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:49 pm

Mike_Forster wrote:In general - for a large swiss competition (with many separate age rage competitions within it) - it is fine to publish the squad in advance. For an event such as the Glorney with a total squad of 20, where the whole squad of 20 plays each other squad of 20 - and the team are usually placed in grade order - it is unfair on the English teams to publish their names prior to the competition start. The other teams are declared on the Sunday night of the event. I would hope that we continue to delay until a similar time in future. The relevant coaches had their team lists in good time and were instrumental in deciding the board order of their teams.
regards
Mike
The solution to this is for the teams and board order to have a deadline by which they must be submitted to the Organiser. At the moment, this deadline appears to be the meeting the night before the tournament. It would ease the administration for those doing the technical side of the job to have this information sometime in advance, and in an electronic format.

That way, the teams can either be secret or announced together, but from an organisational perspective, the webmaster, the person putting results in the computer, or setting up liveboards, can do their jobs several days in advance, rather than after the tournament has started.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:25 am

"The solution to this is for the teams and board order to have a deadline by which they must be submitted to the Organiser. At the moment, this deadline appears to be the meeting the night before the tournament. It would ease the administration for those doing the technical side of the job to have this information sometime in advance, and in an electronic format.

That way, the teams can either be secret or announced together, but from an organisational perspective, the webmaster, the person putting results in the computer, or setting up liveboards, can do their jobs several days in advance, rather than after the tournament has started."

Well - that seems logical. At the European Small Nations event last year, we got the team lists from each captain, kept them secret, and then published all of them at the announced time. It's quite easy to do with the software... (well, it was easy after a bit of practice and lots of tuition from a young person.)