Clashing events, 22-23 April

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Mike Truran

Re: Clashing events, 22-23 April

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Michael

The ECF calendar can already be sorted by category (there's a drop-down menu).

Mike

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:30 pm

Mike Truran wrote: The ECF calendar can already be sorted by category (there's a drop-down menu).
There seems to be some sort of fault in the filtering logic.

My expectation was that selecting Junior Only would show all Junior events. It doesn't.

Selecting Junior Only events hides the London Junior Chess championships on 28th-30th Dec 2016.
Only by selecting ECF Graded & Junior only does it reappear.

It also took me a while to realise that selecting an options a second time clears it.
It would have been less confusing had there been a Show All or Reset option.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:46 pm

I agree with Michael in that, in my experience, the filtering works imperfectly - something I had previously attributed to the medieval state of my computers.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:51 pm

Mike Truran wrote:The ECF calendar can already be sorted by category (there's a drop-down menu).
It could do with more categories, the ability to exclude categories, and the ability to limit the results to events matching all of several selected categories. It's currently doing an OR search on multiple categories, not an AND search. I'd have thought AND searches would usually be more useful than OR searches if it's not possible to have both.

For example, a Seniors category would be useful, as would the ability to select events that are not exclusively for Juniors and not exclusively for Seniors. It would also be useful to be able to print the filtered search results.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:46 pm

Passed on to the ECF Office to add to the steadily increasing "to do" list.

I expect to be told it will need to wait until after the minutes are done. :wink:

Andrew Varney

Post by Andrew Varney » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:11 pm

In our busy consumer society, clashing events are a fact of life, and one has to choose. That's generally the case, not just with chess, of course.
At a higher junior level, probably the biggest choice has been in the summer with the UKCC Terafinal, the Gibraltar Junior tournament, international junior events and useful Open tournaments in Europe all falling over the same weekend.

The J4NCL and 4NCL RP on the same weekend was another recent occasion where a choice had to be made by some stronger juniors and by chess-playing junior chess organisers.
Last edited by Andrew Varney on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:15 pm

Andrew Varney wrote:The J4NCL and 4NCL RP on the same weekend was another recent occasion where a choice had to be made by some stronger juniors and by chess-playing junior chess organisers.
A rare case where an organisation deliberately clashed two of their events :wink:

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:54 am

Dates for EPSCA inter-association events for 2017/18 season are now published on the EPSCA website: http://www.epsca.org.uk/events/dates.html

They have also been provided to the ECF Office but do not show on the ECF Calendar which only extends to Nov 2017. I would surmise that the ECF Calendar is restricted to only showing events up to one calendar year ahead. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

The faults with the ECF Calendar, however, have yet to be addressed:
(i) The downloadable pdf is not identical with the live calendar. It is missing events such as the EPSCA U9 Final which gave rise to this thread.
(ii) The filtering is not accurate. Selecting Juniors Only fails to include the London Junior Championships in December 2016.

It only took me a single email to the EPSCA Secretary to obtain the dates for 2017/18. I still contend that as all the relevant people in ECF/EPSCA/4NCL/J4NCL know each other and, in fact, appear to cooperate quite happily during the British Championships it shouldn't need a third party to broker talks between them.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:31 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:Dates for EPSCA inter-association events for 2017/18 season are now published on the EPSCA website: http://www.epsca.org.uk/events/dates.html
Hurrah! :)
Michael Flatt wrote:it shouldn't need a third party to broker talks between them.
Indeed, they should put their dates on the website as a matter of course.