One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open letter.

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Ben Purton

Re: One cannot turn back the tide of ignorance. An open lett

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:22 pm

am I on this list David.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:23 pm

matt_ward wrote:Richard I do not understand why you're saying my English is that bad I am totally baffled by it, You're being so pedantic over nothing!
Forget this forum. Take it from me, it's awful, and if you hadn't known that previously then you should take advantage of the last day to do something about it and improve your future life prospects.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Ben Purton wrote:am I on this list David.
Since you ask, yes. However, I've now seen your post which was more or less simultaneous with mine and I appreciate that you're making an effort, so I'll endeavour to read your posts in future.

I have some understanding of the problems of dyslexia, as I have a niece who is dyslexic. However, I don't regard it as an excuse for "not bothering to check". I'm always pleased to see the occasional posts from Simon Williams, over which he must take considerable care.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Matt (Ward)

Here is a quote from another thread
matt_ward wrote: the fact of the matter they are not breaking the law I guess, and they won't be able to stop it anyhow so it's maybe a fantasy although the world would be a better place with alcohol, drugs.

Matt.
I'm not sure if you meant "the world would be a better place without alcohol drugs"? This is one particular example where your hurried, "stream of consciousness" style causes difficulties in interpreting what point you are trying to make.

There has been plenty of good advice given. Read your posts before hitting "submit", and in particular try to punctuate them more, and everyone will be a lot happier, including you, as you will be understood better.

Perhaps someone could PM you a "before" and "after" example of one of your posts as posted, and as rewritten following more conventional rules of grammar (sic) and so on?

P.S. Welcome to the board.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:49 pm

Hmmmmmm your post makes me and Simon Williams sound like charity cases David.

I am not too bothered if people read my posts or not. I understand i am very outspoken, often I speak my mind.

Regardless of checking grammar , I won't change my views on the forum. Sometimes I might re-word in a less offensive manner.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:50 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Sometimes I might re-word in a less offensive manner.
:D
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:03 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Hmmmmmm your post makes me and Simon Williams sound like charity cases David.
I'm sorry if I came across as patronising or condescending. That certainly wasn't my intention.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:07 pm

An appeal to fellow posters: "post as much as you like" is, in my view, not very well-worded advice, however qualified. I thought standard netiquette for forums was to spend time "lurking" (i.e. reading but not writing) until such time as you have absorbed all the info and feel you have something fresh or illuminating to say about a subject. It is disrespectful not to read what other people have taken the trouble to write before one looses off a post.

That said, this forum has always been welcoming to newcomers and rightly so. If they ask something that has been covered before, then the best response is often a polite message along the lines of "read thread x and you will find an answer". If they then come back with an already-voiced opinion, then perhaps the right response is to reiterate the original point with something like "yes, poster x wrote the same thing in thread y - why not go and read it?". However, if they then show signs of not reading anything that has previously been written on a given subject, and posting messages (replete with problems of spelling, grammar, comprehensibility, relevance, etc) at the rate of 30+ a day, then it strikes me as very disrespectful and is a problem that requires action. One option, of course, is not to respond to such posts.

To Matt W: I have less objection to your writing (hard to understand though it can be) than I have to your total failure to read what has already been written on all the subjects on which you have asked questions and voiced opinions. Please show the forum some respect by reading what has already been written. There is a lot of good stuff to be found here (OK, and some rubbish too, of course) and it may take you a considerable time to plough through it all. However, it may be time well spent - you may find that doing so will answer all your questions and obviate the need to write any more posts at all!
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Matthew,

Look,
matt_ward wrote:I think, it's a good idea personally them increasing the game fee up by 8% why not.

Matt.
on the ECF forum, on the Game Fee Hike thread, is a blatant troll, as is
matt_ward wrote:It does not seem a bad Idea although I think it's best to not to change the ECF grading around anymore as it's going to take a few years to get back to normal, due to inflation.
on the Grading Forum, in the Grading Anomalies thread.

We all write provocatively here from time to time, entertainment being part of the purpose, nevertheless, you should recognise that you are new here, and the pack will be liable to tear you apart unless you give due recognition to the established order.

Whilst admitting your wisdom in these matters to be profound, I would nevertheless suggest that you should wind the neck in.

To Carl,

Please delete those two effusions - they have no point beyond that of provocation and contribute in no useful debate to those important topics.

Regards,
Paul McKeown

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:54 pm

I guess!

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Correct, Matt, now delete them having admitted their nullity.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:20 pm

I don't think I am the only one here who is insane , from what I have seen and witnessed.

As they say "It takes one to know one"

Matt.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:23 pm

I think we have gone more than far enough with this one, the matter is closed lets now move on please
Cheers
Carl Hibbard