No Links

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Joey Stewart

No Links

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:25 pm

You know how people will often try and 'win' an arguement by posting a link to another site which may or may not contain the information which they themselves are too lazy to relay to you? Well I think that this sort of behavior should be stopped and henceforth anybody wanting to quote infomation from an 'outside' site should have to copy and past the text into the forums - its for all our safety really, as sooner or later you will get hit by spammers who try and trick you into going to some sort of dodgy site.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Carl Hibbard

Re: No Links

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:13 am

Joey Stewart wrote:You know how people will often try and 'win' an arguement by posting a link to another site which may or may not contain the information which they themselves are too lazy to relay to you? Well I think that this sort of behavior should be stopped and henceforth anybody wanting to quote infomation from an 'outside' site should have to copy and past the text into the forums - its for all our safety really, as sooner or later you will get hit by spammers who try and trick you into going to some sort of dodgy site.
I don't agree with this one at all but yes forum members should take care with any external URL which is being linked to from here

Please inform me ASAP or use the red exclamation button to report any external link that either needs checking or removing from this forum
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:31 am

Joey Stewart wrote:........anybody wanting to quote infomation from an 'outside' site should have to copy and past the text into the forums
You should be very cautious about doing this. There are copyright issues.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:17 am

I think it is ok as long as you are not trying to pass it off as your own work - a simple acknowledgement that it is quoted from their sources will nullify any attempt at a lawsuit.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:18 pm

"I think it is ok as long as you are not trying to pass it off as your own work - a simple acknowledgement that it is quoted from their sources will nullify any attempt at a lawsuit".

I consulted an expert on copyright who said,

"No it isn't (this confuses plagiarism and copyright). For instance, if that were true, there would be nothing to stop me printing my own copies of Harry Potter, provided that I mention the name of the author.

From the viewpoint of the publisher of the linked article, if you paste the contents of an article on the list, then the publisher loses exposure of any advertising that may be carried on the page."
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:35 pm

I am sure Tim Berners-Lee would enjoy (not) this silly thread. :?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D