Misuse of the Forum

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
David Sedgwick

Misuse of the Forum

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:36 am

Gavin Strachan (in another thread) wrote:Hate it when you get some guy playing not wearing whites.
I hate your presistent habit of uploading large images to this Forum.

Carl, can you ban this practice? This is a discussion forum. The written word should suffice, perhaps supported by the occasional diagram.

People who wish to refer to photographs and other images should do so by means of a link.

Well, that's my opinion.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Re: Misuse of the Forum

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:04 am

Come on, it's only 30K (*) and it was on topic as it's a picture of the traditional British Championships cricket match.

(*) Unless it's been resized because of your missive?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:19 am

It's the old story of the straw and the camel's back. I wouldn't have said anything if it had been a one-off, but I don't think Gavin would deny that he's got form in this area.

It's only my opinion. If no-one else agrees, then obviously Carl won't do anything.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:24 am

David Sedgwick wrote:It's the old story of the straw and the camel's back. I wouldn't have said anything if it had been a one-off, but I don't think Gavin would deny that he's got form in this area.

It's only my opinion. If no-one else agrees, then obviously Carl won't do anything.
It is a link to a foreign URL though isn't it and not a direct upload which has a limit on the size?

I need to check...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:31 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:It's the old story of the straw and the camel's back. I wouldn't have said anything if it had been a one-off, but I don't think Gavin would deny that he's got form in this area.

It is a link to a foreign URL though isn't it and not a direct upload which has a limit on the size?

I need to check...
That's not the issue which I was seeking to raise. What I don't like, when reading a thread, is suddenly coming across a huge great image. If it's a link, or uploaded as an attachment, I can choose whether or not to go there.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Warning! This man is a control freak. He has a compulsion to rule, judge and arbitrate on all aspects of human activity. If he approaches you, try to divert him with an arcane question about the rules of chess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:09 pm

David,

You have a bit of a point, I have found the same perceptual disconnect on occasion. But, the photo this time did have the merit of being in context? Would you object to the occasional diagram? I think the problem is the size of the illustration, isn't it, which takes up most of the screen, or indeed all of it and more besides, sometimes. Perhaps if the forum could autoresize, it that were feasible? Or just a request that people resize to no more than 400x300 for instance? Otherwise provide for download or a link?

Regards,
Paul

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:12 pm

If I had resizing control on images then I would apply. But the limitations of the forum mean that image sizes are judged by the embedded link.

Nice one Brendan! not sure the perspective could possibly be right :oops:

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:12 pm

And wouldn't this thread best be placed in "Rules and Registration"?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote:If I had resizing control on images then I would apply. But the limitations of the forum mean that image sizes are judged by the embedded link.

Nice one Brendan! not sure the perspective could possibly be right :oops:

You could resize before posting?

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:19 pm

it does not give an option as you have to link to an external url. The picture is not sized by me but the person who originally put the picture up on the internet. If the site that the picture is on goes down, so does the piccy. I suppose I could resize having seen the above pic after saving locally and do it as an attachment.

I personally prefer pictures to writing!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:Warning! This man is a control freak. He has a compulsion to rule, judge and arbitrate on all aspects of human activity. If he approaches you, try to divert him with an arcane question about the rules of chess.
You couldn't have made my point better. When you first took the photograph, you mentioned it on the Forum as follows:

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:I've posted some pics here: http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/197280951
Now you've uploaded it directly, just to annoy me.

I've just entered the Golders Green Major on Saturday, O'Gorman. I look forward to being paired against you.

And before too long I expect to be the arbiter at a tournament in which you'll be playing.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:And wouldn't this thread best be placed in "Rules and Registration"?
On reflection, I agree. Carl, please move it if you wish.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:42 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:Warning! This man is a control freak. He has a compulsion to rule, judge and arbitrate on all aspects of human activity. If he approaches you, try to divert him with an arcane question about the rules of chess.
You couldn't have made my point better. When you first took the photograph, you mentioned it on the Forum as follows:
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:I've posted some pics here: http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/197280951

I've just entered the Golders Green Major on Saturday, O'Gorman. I look forward to being paired against you.

And before too long I expect to be the arbiter at a tournament in which you'll be playing.
I shall make a point of pairing you both, and watch the game with interest!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:46 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:

I apologise abjectly, O great arbiter.