Flashing topic symbols

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Christopher Kreuzer

Flashing topic symbols

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:45 pm

I'm trying to work out what the flashing topic symbols mean. When I mouse-over the topic symbols, it can say "new posts" or "no new posts", but sometimes the symbol flashes and sometimes it doesn't.

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Flashing topic symbols

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I'm trying to work out what the flashing topic symbols mean. When I mouse-over the topic symbols, it can say "new posts" or "no new posts", but sometimes the symbol flashes and sometimes it doesn't.
In case it wasn't clear what I'm talking about, when you view a forum you have a symbol or icon on the far left-hand side next to each thread's subject line. The default appears to be a round circle with a symbol that looks like a piece of paper. The different settings appear to be colours (white or brown) and either static or flashing. Some threads also have a little black dot in the upper left part of the circle.

The black dot seems to show the threads I have bookmarked. The brown colour seems to indicates new posts and the colour goes back to white if you view the threads while logged in (though if you read threads while logged out, this colour scheme doesn't help much). Subscribing to a topic doesn't seem to do anything. Still not a clue as to why some topics are flashing, but it is a bit annoying. Maybe a subliminal attempt to get people to read the threads? :)

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Flashing topic symbols

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:51 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I'm trying to work out what the flashing topic symbols mean. When I mouse-over the topic symbols, it can say "new posts" or "no new posts", but sometimes the symbol flashes and sometimes it doesn't.
Doh! I just scrolled right down to the bottom of the screen and the explanations for the thread symbols are right there! :oops:

It took me long enough to find it, but I can't complain because it was right there under my nose all the time. Sorry about that.