Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
raycollett

Re: Consistent Moderation and of course Complaints

Post by raycollett » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:14 pm

Carl,
You do a good job. I would prefer that those who make references to anyone's age, gender or personal apperance are asked to apologise. Such remarks diminish any chess-related point the writer was trying to express.
Regards - Ray

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:16 pm

When did I make a direct reference to anyones looks...if you can get the quote where i single the person out...ill apoilgise

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:17 pm

If you say "theres some perverts in chess"

and someone says "I dont think blah blah is a pervert"

Did I say that person.

Ben
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Everyone loves ליכוד‎ http://www.netanyahu.org.il/
Ben - and Carl too -

Why on Earth are you now signing off your forum postings with the Modern Hebrew for Likud? And giving a link to (and I haven't checked by visiting) a site that appears to be Binyamin Netanyahu's?

This is a site about chess in England and any controversy herein should be restricted to that topic - or perhaps to a few topics related to chess in general. I fail to see any necessity to bring politics into the forum, particularly the politics in Israel, which is a very difficult issue and even a matter of life and death, but about which this forum has no opinion and whose members are not qualified to form an opinion.

Please, Ben, just humour me and take down the advertising...

Thanks!

Seasons Greetings,
Paul.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Its a signature bar, hence you put links etc just check the US ones , I did not realise Neti would cause such strong offence.....surely anyone is allowed a view of politics. But ill fish it off when im on my PC, noteboook atm so cant do much

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks Ben - good move!

It's not that it causes me offence - it's just that it's the sort of thing that can bring all the nutters on the Internet down on this site. Instead of discussions about chess, who knows what we would end up with. Ultimately the site might end up unusable for its original purpose...

Once more, cheers, exclamation mark :!:

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:07 pm

testing ..... should be done but on my xmas present from sarah so still unsure if reverything works!!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:35 pm

Ben Purton wrote:testing ..... should be done but on my xmas present from sarah so still unsure if reverything works!!
Yes that is better and probably a good call to be honest...

Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:19 pm

raycollett wrote:Carl,
You do a good job. I would prefer that those who make references to anyone's age, gender or personal apperance are asked to apologise. Such remarks diminish any chess-related point the writer was trying to express.
Regards - Ray
Thanks Ray another voice of reason without any snide comments!

Can it be that hard to post something without resorting to a little dig I can but ask?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:22 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Ernie Lazernby wrote:I dont think the Prof adds anything to this forum
Dear me, Ernie, desperate stuff. I can't believe there was any synapse activity as you wrote that. Also you might want to check whether Carl agrees with you :lol:

David
Atticus CC
I don't agree no but I am also getting a little bored of some of your little "additional" comments David, do you feel they add anything?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Are you THE David Robertson Professor, if so, your one of the top International Relations people in the country(what I study) So Kudos if so.

I dont like the biggotry of education on this forum. Ernie is a Police officer(I think), so he'll see stuff that academics will never learn?!, in opposition academics will probaly read alot more than someone on the beat. So the whole education term is subjective.

At least thats what I tell myself in the mirror for comfort! :)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:17 pm

I am reminded of the story of Manchester United striker, Brian McClair, who was nicknamed the professor because of his 2.2 from Stranraer University. I assume judging by the eloquence of professor's Robertson's postings he must represent a much more esteemed establishment.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:31 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I am reminded of the story of Manchester United striker, Brian McClair, who was nicknamed the professor because of his 2.2 from Stranraer University. I assume judging by the eloquence of professor's Robertson's postings he must represent a much more esteemed establishment.
Liverpool John Moores University I believe.

According to the The Complete University Guide they are ranked in 100th position in their national comparison of universities. Out of 113.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:55 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I am reminded of the story of Manchester United striker, Brian McClair, who was nicknamed the professor because of his 2.2 from Stranraer University.
Glasgow, I believe.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Liverpool John Moores University I believe. According to the The Complete University Guide they are ranked in 100th position in their national comparison of universities. Out of 113.
Oh come on guys, this is absurd. This is playing the man, not the ball. Irrelevant - particularly as David Robertson hasn't posted recently anyway - and certainly hasn't laid out his academic credentials to carry weight in favour of his arguments, unlike Ernie Lazenby, for example, who continually reminds everyone that he was a peeler, as if that should lend his argumentation extra credibility, forgetting in the process that Cleveland police have a rather dodgy form sheet if the media are to be believed.

I think this is abusive and unnecessary.

I can sometimes be very caustic in my comments, as I don't think foolish opinions filleted of any skeleton of logic should be sprayed around with wild abandon. But this?

This is simple revenge - and unacceptable.

I personally think that David Robertson is a poster of worth and this forum would be much poorer (close to worthless) without him.

Shame on you Sean Hewitt and Ernie Lazenby.