IOVPS Service is Crap!

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Carl Hibbard

IOVPS Service is Crap!

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:33 pm

This server is hosted with IOVPS at http://www.iovps.com and has been for some time.

However in the last few days then have managed to 'accidentally' delete another VPS server of mine along with all the backups.

No solution is possible so their SLA means little if you bother to read the small print closely.

To quote "I can only apologise for the inconvenience this has caused but our terms and conditions do cover us against any legal liability."

So therefore before the end of month I will attempt to move this forum to another service provider and this will cause some disruption.

Please feel free to share this message far and wide :shock:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

IM Jack Rudd

Re: IOVPS Service is Crap!

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:36 pm

"Our terms and conditions do cover us against any legal liability" is just meaningless, isn't it? They can't absolve them from things for which they are actually legally liable.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:39 pm

I can only apologise for the inconvenience this has caused but our terms and conditions do cover us against any legal liabilty.

http://www.iovps.com/info/tos/

This was a one of small error caused by our system that effected less than 20 VPS's I am afraid I cant offer anything other than some SLA compensation that can be used for our services in future and an apology.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: I should have taken an additional backup yes I know!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:48 pm

How often do you back up this forum and what is involved? (Am I right in saying that if the accident had been with the server containing the posts to this forum, they would have been lost?)

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:52 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:How often do you back up this forum and what is involved? (Am I right in saying that if the accident had been with the server containing the posts to this forum, they would have been lost?)
In which case, would we all have to help re-construct all past discussions, debates and disputes???

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:55 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:How often do you back up this forum and what is involved? (Am I right in saying that if the accident had been with the server containing the posts to this forum, they would have been lost?)
Overnight at 4am seven days a week to another service provider but YES I don't take it as seriously as work I do agree.

Attachments would be lost and 'checking' the above backups do occur is another issue.

At a 257mb backup a limitation of time and personal cost kicks in a little, although that is not a good excuse of course :(

I need to get in gear forum wise.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:39 am

I would imagine that the backup consists essentially of exporting the MySQL database sitting at the backend of phpBB and saving that to disk. There may be other things Carl would also like to back-up.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:28 pm

The forum server is moving to an alternate provider but I need someone willing to test IPv6 access for me.

Please PM me if you have that sort of access and the ability to check.

Thanks....
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:53 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:"Our terms and conditions do cover us against any legal liability" is just meaningless, isn't it? They can't absolve them from things for which they are actually legally liable.

Jack I am afraid they can. Limitation of liability clauses are a common part of business life and particularly prevalent in the IT world. Your only hope is the unfair terms contract act but I doubt that would afford much protection in Carl's case. The case law generally only support consumers not business people. It is a common worry with servers that if the hosting company goes bust all the data could be lost. C'est la vie!

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:So therefore before the end of month I will attempt to move this forum to another service provider and this will cause some disruption.
This is likely to happen today Sunday sometime during the afternoon, one more thing to check then I will close the board and move everything.

Expect perhaps an hour downtime maybe less.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:21 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:So therefore before the end of month I will attempt to move this forum to another service provider and this will cause some disruption.
This is likely to happen today Sunday sometime during the afternoon, one more thing to check then I will close the board and move everything.

Expect perhaps an hour downtime maybe less.
The server move is complete, please PM if anything seems out of order.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:The forum server is moving to an alternate provider but I need someone willing to test IPv6 access for me.
No volunteers yet, anyone got IPv6 access?

It was available on my old ISP but I am back on BT at home/work so not provided here :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Site is now fully IPv4 and IPv6 which is good :D

Performance is improved and we are now fully backed up (hopefully properly...) but I will continue to monitor.

Costs have increased slightly but not dramatically so which is also good :roll:

Beer.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:43 pm

Carl

Lot's of apostrophes have been replaced with ’s in the Fantasy Football thread, but perhaps we deserve it!

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Tue May 06, 2014 3:48 pm

It seems that the msbs of quite a few bytes have disappeared. Perhaps a consequence of an undesirable utf -> ascii conversion. For instance, at
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3211 the Russian text has been replaced by gibberish.

There is a snapshot at http://web.archive.org/web/201404101257 ... um.org.uk/ . It is incomplete. Would it be possible to use this to replace some of the posts made before 10 April 2014? To given an example of the difference, the link given in the first paragraph looks like: http://web.archive.org/web/201210190215 ... 5a4cf5877c .