How would you introduce chess in every school???

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Charles W. Wood

How would you introduce chess in every school???

Post by Charles W. Wood » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:18 am

"Chess for Schools" is well on its way, and seems to be running well. What would you do if you had enough chess sets for all the schools in your area? (don't worry read the "free chess sets for schools" thread as most of this is sorted, we just want ideas).

This is hyperthetical (can't spell) so how would you handle it?
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Greg Breed

Re: How would you introduce chess in every school???

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:51 pm

it's "hypo".

Re: your question, I'd go and teach the kids to play - if it was worth my while :wink:
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:53 pm

Greg Breed wrote:it's "hypo".

Re: your question, I'd go and teach the kids to play - if it was worth my while :wink:
That maybe coming through too, watch this space. :)
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:00 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing local MPs going to each school (or as many as they can), and trying to persuade the kids to play etc. or even local celebrities or something - that always gets a short boost for numbers, and although eventually some kids who were just there to see the famous person will stop playing, there is the potential to get a few kids enthusiastic enough to want to play long-term.

Only problem is that a lot of these "famous people" will want fees, as their time may be limited or something, but is there any way of perhaps raising funds for this? Or even pilot the idea in one or two areas before trying to do it nationally?
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:06 am

Nigel Wright wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing local MPs going to each school (or as many as they can), and trying to persuade the kids to play etc. or even local celebrities or something - that always gets a short boost for numbers, and although eventually some kids who were just there to see the famous person will stop playing, there is the potential to get a few kids enthusiastic enough to want to play long-term.

Only problem is that a lot of these "famous people" will want fees, as their time may be limited or something, but is there any way of perhaps raising funds for this? Or even pilot the idea in one or two areas before trying to do it nationally?
So far giving the prizes I've had Junior "The Hitter" Witter WBC Light Welterweight Champion, Nadeem "Golden Boy" Saddique British Master and Central Area "Undefeated" Champion, and at the next event I've got either David Solamona (Utility Wing) or Semi Tandula (Wing) both from Bradford Bulls. I've never payed for any of them, in fact the Bradford Bulls phoned me and offered the players to do prize giving. Just don't think superstars are "A" list only, sports stars are better, and they love the attention. I hoping for Amir Khan, Sir Ken Morrison, Ken Livingston, Kaiser Chiefs, Terrorvision, and maybe at some point Bill Gates. All free.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:27 pm

That's good stuff, but not all areas are going to be as lucky in having enthusistic local sporting clubs to help us out.

Does it do the trick when you have those "famous people" there to present prizes?

I Drink therefore I am.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:38 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:That's good stuff, but not all areas are going to be as lucky in having enthusistic local sporting clubs to help us out.

Does it do the trick when you have those "famous people" there to present prizes?
What Derby County will happily give you signed shirts, and get team players to events, theres a couple of half decent rugby clubs there, a good basketball team, hockey, ice hockey etc not back for one area.

As for the "trick", Donna came up with the idea of "Goody Bags" to give out at every tournament, kids stayed, superstar gives prizes, Bang!!! it worked. Kids asked for autographs, started supporting the star they had just had their picture taken with. And heros, chess and heros means more junior players.

I will happily give YOU a hand. Call me.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm not saying there's nothing in Derbyshire to get stars from to distribute prizes, just that other areas aren't as fortunate.

The problem with Junior chess in Derbyshire atm is that the Secondary schools don't seem to want to know, but hopefully the free chess sets and the coaching involved with that scheme will change things for the better.

I Drink therefore I am.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:I'm not saying there's nothing in Derbyshire to get stars from to distribute prizes, just that other areas aren't as fortunate.

The problem with Junior chess in Derbyshire atm is that the Secondary schools don't seem to want to know, but hopefully the free chess sets and the coaching involved with that scheme will change things for the better.
Well you are one of the blessed counties as you have something in place already, it will become much bigger but its there. Secondary schools are all coming right to your door. As long as the four boxes are ticked.

8)
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:58 pm

My only concern is that the Secondary Schools will expect everything done for them, and that everything must be perfect...

I Drink therefore I am.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:03 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:My only concern is that the Secondary Schools will expect everything done for them, and that everything must be perfect...
Nope, the school is not that involved, its extended schools and other agencies that will open this door, as for perfection, its never happened in my view, I doubt the juggling class they get at the minute will match up to the certification programme they are going to get. With the schools league and super coaches, its all going to work. :wink:
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:05 pm

I pray it does, and I'll try my best to make sure it does, but I'm very sceptical atm because of past experiences...

I Drink therefore I am.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:13 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:I pray it does, and I'll try my best to make sure it does, but I'm very sceptical atm because of past experiences...
I know Susan is on board very heavily, work as a group and be enthusiastic (can't spell, sorry) it will work, its as captive group. Trust me! I can only hope you will.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Susan?

And I do trust you, and I appreciate very much what you are trying to achieve, I just have trouble seeing it working well (in Derbyshire) when I have my past experiences constantly nagging me at the back of my mind... :)

I Drink therefore I am.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:33 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:Susan?

And I do trust you, and I appreciate very much what you are trying to achieve, I just have trouble seeing it working well (in Derbyshire) when I have my past experiences constantly nagging me at the back of my mind... :)
OK write down how you thoughts on how junior chess would be done 12 months ago, then bin it, cos thats whats its worth. No insult intended. We as a chess body never understood state schools worked thats why we never got in. I have read, jumped though hoops, and built the things we need need. Its here now, are you ready?
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion