World Youth 2012 - Maribor, Slovenia

National developments, strategies and ideas.
Peter D Williams

Re: World Youth 2012 - Maribor, Slovenia

Post by Peter D Williams » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Jim Wadsworth wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:Well that does surprise me to be taking non playing brothers,sisters. What is the point of that?
In most cases, because the parents in question (having decided to travel with their playing offspring to the relevant events) don't have an alternate childcare solution available for their, typically pre-primary age, other child(ren)...
Jim – thanks for your response - I’m not sure what answer I was expecting but it certainly wasn’t that

We only have one child so this was something we never had to consider though I hope that if we were in that situation Carol and I would have been able to find some other solution as I don’t believe taking your other children along because you don’t have a suitable alternative childcare solution is a good solution for anyone – are you sure this is the case?

There are several reasons why I think this is the wrong solution, in no particular order:-

a) If rooms were being shared then this could be disruptive to the player
b) If rooms are close together then this could be disruptive to other players
c) Additional costs to the families concerned
d) Young children do not always settle well outside of their day to day environment
e) Parents and players are trying to deal with the hotel, tournament, playing conditions etc and then have the stress of looking after the rest of their children at the same time.
f) The children who are not participating in the tournament can quickly become bored and disruptive and in the case of babies their parents are trying to look after them in venues that do not necessarily have the facilities needed. I do remember one instance where Carol looked after a baby for the mother while she went into the playing hall to make sure her other child was ok

I have always advocated and actively campaigned for more players to attend these events but if as a result of more players attending we end up with this situation then I think I will have to seriously consider my opinion. Yes we want to send more players and we should want them to do well but if we are going to treat it as a crèche then in my opinion we defeat the objective before we board the plane
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Peter D Williams wrote: Jim – thanks for your response - I’m not sure what answer I was expecting but it certainly wasn’t that

We only have one child so this was something we never had to consider though I hope that if we were in that situation Carol and I would have been able to find some other solution as I don’t believe taking your other children along because you don’t have a suitable alternative childcare solution is a good solution for anyone – are you sure this is the case?

There are several reasons why I think this is the wrong solution, in no particular order:-

d) Young children do not always settle well outside of their day to day environment
e) Parents and players are trying to deal with the hotel, tournament, playing conditions etc and then have the stress of looking after the rest of their children at the same time.
f) The children who are not participating in the tournament can quickly become bored and disruptive and in the case of babies their parents are trying to look after them in venues that do not necessarily have the facilities needed. I do remember one instance where Carol looked after a baby for the mother while she went into the playing hall to make sure her other child was ok

I have always advocated and actively campaigned for more players to attend these events but if as a result of more players attending we end up with this situation then I think I will have to seriously consider my opinion. Yes we want to send more players and we should want them to do well but if we are going to treat it as a crèche then in my opinion we defeat the objective before we board the plane
Since I am the delegation head for England's team going to the Maribor event, and have managed registration of the team, I would hope I have some level of insight. Whilst I understand your concerns, I'd suggest we should give the parents and children concerned a bit more credit...

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Jim Wadsworth wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote: Jim – thanks for your response - I’m not sure what answer I was expecting but it certainly wasn’t that

Since I am the delegation head for England's team going to the Maribor event, and have managed registration of the team, I would hope I have some level of insight. Whilst I understand your concerns, I'd suggest we should give the parents and children concerned a bit more credit...
And that makes you the authority on the subject does it? I find your response pompous
If you think that statement is going to make me shut up and put up you are mistaken

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:25 am

At the Europeans this year, there were several siblings present. I can only speak from the experience that I have here, but the extra children being present was really helpful and useful to the group as a whole. The eldest sibling present helped out administratively and even did a medicine run with her mum and helped to buy organise/presents at the end for our coaches and head of delegation. All the siblings I met were lovely. They all enjoyed the experience and it was nice to see families together.

The littlest one there was a cutie and ran around making everyone laugh and smile. It was excellent light relief and helped to put things in perspective when we began to take things too seriously. He gave some very valuable advice to David Howell and Stephen Gordon on many occasions despite only being 6. These tournaments are serious, but at the same time should be viewed as fun by the children. Anything to help that is a bonus.

Obviously, not all could bring their siblings and some did actively choose not to because of the reasons mentioned by Peter above. I do believe strongly in choice and allowing the parents to choose. As far as I can see, all the parents made the right choices for themselves, their families and the group as a whole.

It is the parents who are paying for it, so if they do bring their extra children and it helps the entire group - then why not?

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:52 am

Good luck to everyone going to the Worlds. Lovely to see so many kids going.

I am also very impressed by the numbers who have attended the Europeans and are also going onto the Worlds. In the past, it was an either/or scenario. Parents were not allowed to choose which one they attended nor given the option to attend both. This is a major step in the right direction and long may it continue.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:13 pm

[quote="Krishna Shiatis"]At the Europeans this year, there were several siblings present. I can only speak from the experience that I have here, but the extra children being present was really helpful and useful to the group as a whole. The eldest sibling present helped out administratively and even did a medicine run with her mum and helped to buy organise/presents at the end for our coaches and head of delegation. All the siblings I met were lovely. They all enjoyed the experience and it was nice to see families together.

The littlest one there was a cutie and ran around making everyone laugh and smile. It was excellent light relief and helped to put things in perspective when we began to take things too seriously. He gave some very valuable advice to David Howell and Stephen Gordon on many occasions despite only being 6. These tournaments are serious, but at the same time should be viewed as fun by the children. Anything to help that is a bonus.

Obviously, not all could bring their siblings and some did actively choose not to because of the reasons mentioned by Peter above. I do believe strongly in choice and allowing the parents to
choose. As far as I can see, all the parents made the right choices for themselves, their families and the group as a whole.quote

I can see that point Krishna about a child who not playing making every one smile laugh and helping at times. I listed my concerns in previous post and i would also like to think we are sending more junior chess players to play chess not more non playing supporters/ brother/sisters as that would defeat the object of everything.I would suggest this matter is monitored to make sure that the larger group of supporters do not interfere with the main reason why the players are going which is to represent England at chess.
I have fully supported and campaigned for more than one child per age group to represent England at junior chess long before it was accepted policy and fully up hold a parents right to chose so long as it has been thought though in a sensible manner about sending other brothers/sister/supporters.
I was very pleased to see Rohan at last having the chance to taste international junior chess and represent England in the event in Prague.He should have gone to an event like this a long time ago!

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:40 pm

Many thanks Peter!

He did enjoy it a lot and met lots of new chess kids from all over Europe. It was an amazing experience and Prague was a great place to have his first International. The local population was very nice and welcoming (excellent cab drivers - can recommend Airport Transfers) and it was good to have the playing venue at the same place as the accommodation so no worries about travelling to and fro anywhere.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:... it was good to have the playing venue at the same place as the accommodation so no worries about travelling to and fro anywhere.
What was the hotel like? There's an open tournament there soon that caught my eye, but I was put off by the many poor reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor, and the management responses to the poor reviews. Is it correct that it's about 20 minutes from the centre of Prague by public transport?

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:38 am

Ian Thompson wrote: What was the hotel like? There's an open tournament there soon that caught my eye, but I was put off by the many poor reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor, and the management responses to the poor reviews. Is it correct that it's about 20 minutes from the centre of Prague by public transport?
Yes, that is correct - it is 20 mins from the centre of Prague - though I found that the public transport was very good when I used it. You do need to understand how the buses work - for example the tickets are not like in the UK and based upon destination, they are timed tickets - which may run out mid-journey. So you do have to be careful that you have the correct amount of time for your journey as well as the correct zones.

The actual hotel was not IMO 4*. Though it was not terrible at all either. I had heard some horror stories before I went about cockroaches and flea-infested pits at these sorts of tournaments and so had prepped myself and my son for the worst. When this was not the case, I was so relieved, I did not mind anything.

The food was OK for the first couple of days, but then we did notice it was the same every day thereafter. It was balanced and OK, so again we did not mind too much, though we did eat out occasionally.

If you are looking for genuine 4*, then you may want to look elsewhere. However, the prices (without the extra added by FIDE) are reasonable for what you do get.

Overall, Prague is definitely worth a visit. It is a beautiful city and the people are warm and friendly.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:22 am

For a potential opponent see -
www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8467

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:06 pm

See report and photos on the training weekend just held at http://englishchess.org.uk/Juniors/reac ... he-worlds/. Thanks to Hillary Altman for wirting the report, and to the organising and coaching teams respectively for planning and delivering what was a very successful event.

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:04 pm

first version of the overall entry list has now been published, see http://www.wycc2012.com/#art52.

To delegation members: I am aware of at least one error. If you spot any please let me know and I will advise the organisers.

Jim Wadsworth

Post by Jim Wadsworth » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Jim Wadsworth wrote:first version of the overall entry list has now been published, see http://www.wycc2012.com/#art52.
For those interested in such things, and subject to my excel skills being up to the job, as measured by number of players registered England's team ranks 9th equal alongside China. Of Western European nations only Germany is sending a larger team. Approx 90 federations in total are sending players. Top ten federations as follows:

Rank Federation # registered players
1st Slovenia 149
2nd Russia 99
3rd USA 89
4th India 55
5th Kazakhstan 45
6th South Africa 43
7th Germany 39
8th Mongolia 38
9th= China 34
9th= England 34

Total 1576

Clearly, quantity of competitors is only one metric. Starting in a little over 3 weeks from now, we will start to see what this England team achieves in terms of results.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Maribor is European Capital of Culture this year and a blindfold simul has taken place there as one of the events leading up to the World Youth -
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8582

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:11 pm

I think all the English have now arrived at the hotel albeit some by more direct routes than others