e2e4 Basingstoke International

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Sean Hewitt

e2e4 Basingstoke International

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:56 pm

We travel to the charming 4 star Basingstoke Country Hotel, perfectly located in Hampshire in scenic surrounding, yet just 5 minutes from the M3 and only an hour by train from central London, the hotel is a peaceful haven surrounded by pretty villages.

A new location for e2e4 and to go with that, a new series of events!

The Masters is a 9 round swiss that will offer players the opportunity to play exclusively stronger players and achieve GM & IM norms. The Masters is strictly open only to players rated 21000 or above only, pus those who have qualified via a previous International
Challengers section. e2e4 will invite at least 3 GMs to play, with at least 1 extra GM for every 10 paying players. This will be a very special event!

The Challengers is also a 9 round FIDE rated swiss open to untitled players rated over 1900, or graded above 155 ECF. For every 10 players entered, we will offer a qualifying place for a future Masters event free of charge.

The Intermediate is a 9 round FIDE rated swiss for players rated over 1750 (or graded above 130) and below 2000 (175 ECF). For every 10 players entered, we will offer a qualifying place for a future Challengers event free of charge.

The Major is open to all players rated below 1850 (or graded below 150 ECF) who want to play 9 competitive FIDE rated games of chess in a friendly atmosphere with the opportunity to gain those all important rating points or obtain their first ever FIDE rating.

The Seniors is open to all players aged 60 or over. It is a 5 round FIDE rated swiss, with one game a day, played in beautiful surroundings.

Full details and online entry at www.e2e4.org.uk/basingstoke

benedgell

Re: e2e4 Basingstoke International

Post by benedgell » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi Sean,

Sorry to be critical, just looking on the website it says all of the sections are swisses, but on the playing schedule it says "As this is an all play all no byes are allowed. Each player must play in every round."

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:07 pm

It would also be nice to know what the dates are without having to visit the website...

27th - 31st October 2012

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: The Masters is a 9 round swiss that will offer players the opportunity to play exclusively stronger players and achieve GM & IM norms. The Masters is strictly open only to players rated 21000 or above only, pus those who have qualified via a previous International
Challengers section. e2e4 will invite at least 3 GMs to play, with at least 1 extra GM for every 10 paying players. This will be a very special event!
I knew FIDE ratings had inflated, I didn't realise by that much!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:It would also be nice to know what the dates are without having to visit the website...
But I want to drive traffic to the website!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:28 pm

benedgell wrote:Hi Sean,

Sorry to be critical, just looking on the website it says all of the sections are swisses, but on the playing schedule it says "As this is an all play all no byes are allowed. Each player must play in every round."
Andrew Bak wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote: The Masters is a 9 round swiss that will offer players the opportunity to play exclusively stronger players and achieve GM & IM norms. The Masters is strictly open only to players rated 21000 or above only, pus those who have qualified via a previous International
I knew FIDE ratings had inflated, I didn't realise by that much!
That is the last time I do a tournament website in the sunshine in Dublin drinking Guinness! Fixed.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Dear Sean

As a local boy I should add that the Basingstoke Country Hotel is a little (4 miles?) out of the town on the A30 near Hook. I visited for a Christmas meal when it first opened. Excellent place. Without a car It might be best to go to Hook and get a shared taxi. It is on a bus route, the No.10 (correction here-jp) serves it, if my map reading is holding. No buses to and from Basingstoke on a Sunday. It is quite near the motorway exit also.

James
Last edited by James Pratt on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:44 pm

I never thought I'd live to see "Basinsgtoke" and "International " in the same event title! :D

Despite all that, great news Sean!

I might have expected to see Popham airstrip to become a new International Airport after the upcoming parliamentary commission.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 pm

James Pratt wrote:Dear Sean

As a local boy I should add that the Basingstoke Country Hotel is a little (4 miles?) out of the town on the A30 near Hook. I visited for a Christmas meal when it first opened. Excellent place. Without a car It might be best to go to Hook and get a shared taxi. It is on a bus route, the 207 serve it, if my map reading is holding. No buses to and from Basingstoke on a Sunday. It is quite near the motorway exit also.

James
James - thanks. I have listed Hook as the nearest station (just 1.3 miles apparently). The info about the bus is helpful. If you can tell me which bus company that is I'll add it to the website.

We've already had 10 entries. I don't think I've seen an event start selling quite so quickly!

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Stage Coach, I think, but please ask the hotel itself who'll know, I'm sure. There is only one bus company locally but taxis from Hook should be easy enough. Those travelling from the coast should also not stop at Basingstoke railway station unless they want to walk down into the town, go to the bus station and even then have to wait around. Better to train it where ever you're coming from, I think, alighting at Hook. There are little bits of B&B in Hook also but obviously the Hotel is hoping for a goodly turn-out.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:52 pm

I have now checked and http://www.stagecoachbus.com/south Tel 0845 121 0190 or [email protected]. The only bus to serve the route is No. 10 and not (sorry) as previously stated. Weekdays it can be caught at 7.18 am and therafter 0748, 0818 and at this time until 1913. On Saturdays there is one at 07.53, 08.18 and thereafter, hourly, until 19.13. There are no buses on Sundays and none either on public holidays. Getting-off at Hook Railway Station is the only option whether you are coming either from London Waterloo or the south coast. Come out of the station, only one route, cross the road and the bus stop is immedately in front of you. The Raven will be opposite. The journey is about 5 minutes (either way!) along the A30. Ask for the hotel and get off near the Hoggett which is a local pub. The Basingstoke Coutry Hotel is almost opposite. A walk from the railway station would kill nobody, might take 30-40 minutes. So, alight at Hook!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:13 am

Sean Hewitt wrote: Full details and online entry at http://www.e2e4.org.uk/basingstoke
I did read it correctly that there's no prize money?

Norm chances are a prize in themselves for those good enough to be in with a shout, as shown by the relatively healthy entry for the Masters.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote: Full details and online entry at http://www.e2e4.org.uk/basingstoke
I did read it correctly that there's no prize money?

Norm chances are a prize in themselves for those good enough to be in with a shout, as shown by the relatively healthy entry for the Masters.
Correct. Instead, we've kept entry fees as low as we can. In 2013, we will run a weekend swiss with no prize money. I estimate we will be able to reduce the entry fee for that to £10-£12.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Just a quick update that the event is now full and entries are therefore closed for this event. If anyone would like to join the waiting list in case of withdrawals (there are usually one or two) please email me at [email protected]

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 pm

The Challengers and Intermediate look... interesting for pairing purposes. If you need any help working out pairings for those, let me know.