Free Chess Sets are ONLY for State Schools?

Discussions regarding the 70,000 Free Chess Sets for Schools in England.
Tony Robson

Free Chess Sets are ONLY for State Schools?

Post by Tony Robson » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:18 am

Apparently these Holloid Plastics chess sets are ONLY intended to go to State Schools.

1. Is this really true?
2. If so, who stipulated this - Holloid Plastics? Or some other body?
3. and when was this decided?
4. and can this decision be rescinded?

Charles W. Wood

Re: Free Chess Sets are ONLY for State Schools?

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi Tony

Interesting, the idea Holloid Plastics came up with was that every STATE SCHOOL should be the only people to benefit from these sets. BUT Gerry Walsh and the rest of the Chess for Schools Project team added up the figures and convinced Holloid Plastics that there is only a little more than 25,000 schools including the Independants, and Extended Schools and other agencies do go to quite a few of them too. So Answers 1. to 4.

1. No! its all schools that teach as a school anyone under 16.
2. Holloid Plastics, they are the sponsor. If Holloid wanted it could stop us from being in this process at all. They brought us in, not the other way round.
3. The State Schools only bit, 8 Months ago. All schools bit Wednesday last week.
4. It did, we're not idiots, we want this to be as fair as possible, especially when we found out not all independant schools we super rich or cater only to the rich. Some are run on a shoestring budget and work with all sorts of kids.

The biggest problem is now that all 250,000 boards and sets are now taken up by schools, so non are going anywhere else like youth clubs etc.

Shame that, but hey oh!
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:40 pm

Yeah, that's good, and hopefully some of the super rich and very successful independent schools (ie Nottingham Boys High School) could give their free sets to less fortunate and more needy schools than themselves? There are plenty of independent schools out there catering for disabled and unfortunate children, who rely on private backers and fund raising to provide the bare necessities...
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:Yeah, that's good, and hopefully some of the super rich and very successful independent schools (ie Nottingham Boys High School) could give their free sets to less fortunate and more needy schools than themselves? There are plenty of independent schools out there catering for disabled and unfortunate children, who rely on private backers and fund raising to provide the bare necessities...
We can but hope. The super rich schools, can do that as part of a "we are helping the poor schools" press release. As for the impared private schools, thats why Gerry Walsh did it, I don't on the whole agree with this policy, but I'm the Project Manager not the boss. In my world only state schools would get the sets and boards, but its not my world, its still great though.
Last edited by Charles W. Wood on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:27 pm

Yeah, the press release thing was what I was thinking, but although it gives them more credit than probably deserved, at least it would also give publicity to the scheme and what is trying to be achieved, and much-needed publicity for the schools that aren't doing as well as others.
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:52 pm

Nigel Wright wrote:Yeah, the press release thing was what I was thinking, but although it gives them more credit than probably deserved, at least it would also give publicity to the scheme and what is trying to be achieved, and much-needed publicity for the schools that aren't doing as well as others.
All schools are getting ten sets and boards, we made sure of that. If They use it it benefits us. :lol:
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Tony Robson

Post by Tony Robson » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:10 am

I am delighted that the organisers have at last agreed that Independent Schools can also be included in this project.

The Youth Chess Academy that I run locally is attended by a mix of children from State Schools, Independent Schools, and taught at home! You will not be surprised to hear that they build friendships across these three learning disciplines, based mainly on their shared interest in chess and to a lesser degree on their matching ages. Similarly, differences in colour, creed, nationality and gender quickly get ignored. In this way, I firmly believe that my Academy is a strong force for social cohesion within the community.

At least, having both State and Independent Schools in the Holloid project might now mean that we can start to break down any artificial divisions between the two systems.

Reading the threads on this Forum, I have to keep reminding myself that the end purpose of this exercise is surely not to bring chess sets to schools, but rather to bring chess to children. :roll:

However, from what I have read, I am a little uncertain as to whether my Academy would qualify to receive any of Holloid's chess sets... :(

I hope my comments here helped move this discussion forward in a constructive way.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:42 am

I think we can all agree this is a worthwhile project.

Can you tell me a little more about this ' Chess for Schools' project ?

As ECF Manager of Coaching and someone who has earned a living as a professional coach for 20 years, started up various chess scholarships in schools and probably know more about this area than most other chess players/teachers/coaches in the country, this is another scheme I have not been informed about.

It would be nice to have been in the loop,but this forum is obviously a remarkable way to gain information.

Thanks, Andrew

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:42 am

I think we can all agree this is a worthwhile project.

As ECF Manager of Coaching and someone who has earned a living as a professional coach for 20 years, started up various chess scholarships in schools and probably know more about this area than most other chess players/teachers/coaches in the country, this is another scheme I have not been informed about.

It would be nice to have been in the loop,but this forum is obviously a remarkable way to gain information.

Thanks, Andrew

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:44 am

One more thing-you mentioned a Chess for Schools project team.

Who, EXACTLY, is on the team ?

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:08 am

Tony Robson wrote:I am delighted that the organisers have at last agreed that Independent Schools can also be included in this project.

The Youth Chess Academy that I run locally is attended by a mix of children from State Schools, Independent Schools, and taught at home! You will not be surprised to hear that they build friendships across these three learning disciplines, based mainly on their shared interest in chess and to a lesser degree on their matching ages. Similarly, differences in colour, creed, nationality and gender quickly get ignored. In this way, I firmly believe that my Academy is a strong force for social cohesion within the community.

At least, having both State and Independent Schools in the Holloid project might now mean that we can start to break down any artificial divisions between the two systems.

Reading the threads on this Forum, I have to keep reminding myself that the end purpose of this exercise is surely not to bring chess sets to schools, but rather to bring chess to children. :roll:

However, from what I have read, I am a little uncertain as to whether my Academy would qualify to receive any of Holloid's chess sets... :(

I hope my comments here helped move this discussion forward in a constructive way.
If your registered with the DfES as a school that teaches the curriculum as laid about by them then you will be getting some, In your case you will not. However, Holloid Plastics are watching this project closely and are going do the maths to see if sponsoring other areas after the schools are done would benefit the chess world without damaging the businesses that run within the chess world.

The only advice I can give you is apply it the start up funds available in Northampton so you can buy some kit to help you, there are funds for £3,000 to £5,000 so you can get a tournament set, giant chess boards, display boards. Ask a local council worker they should point you in the right direct, I believe in your area its looked after by Social Services.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:17 am

andrew martin wrote:I think we can all agree this is a worthwhile project.

Thanks, Andrew
The only reason your not involved is because you don't know much about haulage and distribution logistics, unless I'm wrong and you run a small frieght company then I'm sorry.

As for the forum being the best way to get information, all I can say is you asked. As for not being in the loop, their are over 1,000 coaches opporating in England I can't call them all when the project for them starts in May for the North, June for the Midlands, and back end of the South (these are rough at the moment due to coaches wanting me to tell them whats going on before it sorted). I am very happy to go through this project with any and everyone. I'm on the ECF website under Coaches and under Officials, so call if you want to know more.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:49 am

andrew martin wrote:One more thing-you mentioned a Chess for Schools project team.

Who, EXACTLY, is on the team ?
Technically everyone whos willing to help. But a project this large needs to be project managed, (I know this is a strange idea in the chess world so I'll go into details). Project Management is E.G.: you are building a house which bits do you need first; diggers, foundations, utilities, workmen and site surveyors, NOT the Roofers, carpenters, windows and doors people and gardeners. So things move along in a structured fashion. Theres no point getting you involved until we know who and how many County Associations have done all the bits needed to be able to help and benefit from this, in other words we don't know what we are asking you to do yet, theres literally 15 different ways in which this project will go. When that has narrowed down, I as "Chess for Schools Project Manager" would talk to you about how we develop in the direction the options have left us.

So the team now:
the Management: Gerry Walsh and Peter Wilson as the ECF directors charged with running this project. The rest of the ECF board as its all being run by the ECF. Several of the board have been in touch (amazing that they can find a phone, Andrew is your phone really small or is it in a "safe place" :wink: ) to be brought up to speed and to see how they can help.
Project Manager: Charles W. Wood
The Adminatration: The wonderful ECF Office, the four girls there are fantastic and are pulling out all the stops to make this work.
Main Sponsor: Holloid Plastics
Pallet Distribution Sponsor: Fortec Pallet Distribution Network Ltd.
Haulage advisor: Andy Salter.
Parcel Distribution Sponsor: T.B. A.
Certification Programme advisors: Nick Nixon, every council in the country, the ECM policy board, Duke of Edinburgh Award activity advisors, Me, MRC Training, Parity Training, NVQ advisors and board members, Open College, Childrens University, DfES, Next Step Design, and of course the board of the Renaissance Academy.

This list is not a full list by any means.

Including advisors at some points it been a very big team, but like all well run projects you get the right people in at the right time then part company after that bit has been done.

Jobs Titles to fill. Too many to mention, and a bit like a game of chess, it depands what challenges come up will make us move differently.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion