House Rules and Leaching

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
JustinHorton

Re: House Rules and Leaching

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:01 pm

Incidentally, we could usefully be spared some of the humbug on this thread. I've been called worse than "idiot", not elsewhere, but here on this very forum (the Professor's "parasite" comes to mind and it's far from the sole example). So spare me, please. And if you have an issue with another site, take it to that site, eh?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:45 pm

JustinHorton wrote:And if you have an issue with another site, take it to that site, eh?
It seems that you originally had the problem with this forum, so you took it of your private little rathole, didn't you? So be consistent.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:08 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:And if you have an issue with another site, take it to that site, eh?
It seems that you originally had the problem with this forum, so you took it of your private little rathole, didn't you? So be consistent.
Rathole?

Private?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:39 am

JustinHorton wrote:Incidentally, we could usefully be spared some of the humbug on this thread. I've been called worse than "idiot", not elsewhere, but here on this very forum (the Professor's "parasite" comes to mind and it's far from the sole example). So spare me, please. And if you have an issue with another site, take it to that site, eh?
So we are to have inflicted more of the same?

I do not object to the occasional lapse, we have all sinned at times; but what Justin has done goes far beyond that. His industrial scale insulting goes much further than anything that David Robertson produced. Furthermore, it is preposterous to justify a dubious performance because someone else has done the same.

I, for one, am not prepared to put up with it. I should imagine that prospective members are discouraged by it, too. Carl has previously stated on these fora that he will not tolerate personal attacks. In my view Justin should, at the very least, be warned to improve his behaviour.

Nor do I take kindly to the suggestion that I should have to go to the Streatham blog, to complain to the judge, jury and executioner about his vitriolic barbs. There are better ways to boost the viewing figures of the Streatham blog than grandstanding here.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:37 am

Simon Spivack wrote:His industrial scale insulting
Simon - don't be silly.
Simon Spivack wrote:Nor do I take kindly to the suggestion that I should have to go to the Streatham blog, to complain to the judge, jury and executioner about his vitriolic barbs.
Simon - don't be silly.

"Judge jury and executioner" indeed.

(You may, of course, comment on it where you like. That's the point, you see. You can do so here or you can do so at S&B. You don't need to pretend you're somehow barred from comenting at S&B, a thesis so far not tested by anybody who's propounded it.)
Last edited by JustinHorton on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:38 am

This embarrassing thread is exactly the kind of thing that will continue to stop the ECF endorsing the forum and put off prospective members : I accept that some people may not care a fig about that and prefer it not to be endorsed.

I would appeal to Carl (and ask everyone's permission also) to expunge the entire thread.

I can't make a plea to ECF Officials to endorse the forum when this kind of stuff pollutes it.

99% of the postings are useful and worth reading : let us make it 100% :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:24 am

Justin's recent effusion rather proves my point. Its sole purpose is to ridicule and insult.

Nothing like 99% of Justin's posts are useful and worth reading. I shall make it easy for Carl. I shall withdraw from these fora if Justin is not reined in.

JustinHorton

Manifest humbug

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:30 am

Do us a favour Simon eh?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:48 am

John,

I can fully understand your frustration.

Carl,

Indulge me further to just the extent of this particular posting. I apologise, both to you, personally, and to the forum's public in general, for my contribution to this embarrassing donnybrook, whose point has now long been forgotten in the general atmosphere of ill feeling that it has engendered. I feel the point of principle that one shouldn't participate in a discussion on this forum, then hurl ugly epithets from the sidelines, only to continue the discussion on this forum as if nothing happened, is an important one. After this particular posting I can assure you that I shall refrain from any further comment on "The Rancorous Thread" and on this point of order, too.

I believe that Justin's behaviour towards Alex has been unacceptable. I'm not sure why he has singled out Alex, in particular, for his invective, perhaps because Alex is younger, and presumably less ugly. But continually hurling labels such as "idiot" at Alex, has diminished Justin in my eyes, something he can only address with a gentlemanly and sincere apology.

Jack,

What has happened here cannot correctly be typified as fair comment. Fair comment is something that an only a detached observer can do, from the sidelines. Dealing insults from one's privately owned but publically displayed journal, whilst simultaneously taking part in a contentious discussion with those whom you have dealt those insults is an abuse of the principles of free speech. An insult dealt on the Streatham blog to a member of this forum, is an insult to this forum, in itself.

I would suggest that the structure of this discussion is that of ONE thread, SEVERAL participants, TWO physical locations and ONE participant who has priviliged access to one of those physical locations.

I believe that the priniciple of solidarity ought to apply to insults directed against contributors to this forum. An insult to one is an insult to all. If this principle is not understood, then this forum's standing is permanently undermined.

Justin,

I would ask you to consider refraining in future from simultaneously posting on your private blog whilst participating in a divisive debate here. You must understand that others might view that as a tactic that would have shamed a student Trotskyite splinter group during the days of Militant Tendency. It is hardly a transparently democratic means of discourse and your arguments lose any weight they may have had because of it. If you had seen fit to post The Screed here, whilst it might still have been impossibly long and dull, it would, at least, have been subjected to proper discussion - which I sincerely hope was your intent - rather than cries of, "Foul". You claim that all have a fair right to reply on your blog. That claim has been contested in the past. No one taken to task by you in The Screed would therefore rightly consider bothering.

Code: Select all

Said the Shark to the Flying Fish over the phone
"will you join me tonight?  I am dining alone.
Let me order a nice little dinner for two.
And come as you are in your shimmering blue."

Said the Flying Fish, "fancy remembering me,
and the dress that I wore to the porpoise's tea".
"How could I forget" said the Shark in his guile.
"I'll expect you at eight", and rang off with a smile.

She has powdered her nose,
she has put on her things,
she is off with one flap of her luminous wings.

Oh little one, lovely,
light hearted and vain,
the moon will not shine on your beauty again.
Above all, however, I appeal to you to do the decent thing and apologise to Alex. Your behaviour has been unworthy of the standards we know you strive to maintain.

Kindest Regards,
Paul.
Last edited by Paul McKeown on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:00 am

Paul McKeown wrote:I would ask you to consider refraining in future from simultaneously posting on your private blog whilst participating in a divisive debate here.
What I would ask you to do, Paul, is to cease complaining that somebody has had the effrontery to express an opinion in a place where you have no influence or control over it. It's a ludicrous suggestion and one wholly contrary to the principles of freedom of expression.

Why you think you have the authority to decide what the structure of this or any other discussion is, I cannot imagine.

(And please. When constructing your - ah - remarkable an-insult-to-one-is-an-insult-to-all argument, did you recall this at all?)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:17 am

I want to thank you so much Justin.......For replacing me as the biggest .........On the forum.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:21 am

You're irreplaceable, Ben
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:22 am

awwwwwww :oops:
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:23 am

Where as theres plenty of your type :twisted:

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:24 am

"We are many, they are few"
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com