House Rules and Leaching

Technical information will be posted here, use it to ask questions too.
Ben Purton

Re: House Rules and Leaching

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:26 am

Well as a Jew im happy to be labelled in the "few" bracket. I also understand what Poems are about the holocaust directly.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:27 am

Ben Purton wrote:Well as a Jew im happy to be labelled in the "few" bracket. I also understand what Poems are about the holocaust directly.
I'm not quite sure, though, that you grasp the distinction between "directly" and "solely".
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:33 am

With the British Championships approaching, you need to find somewhere in the host town for evening meals and drinks. For some reason, this thread reminds me of the popular Wetherspoons in Great Yarmouth two years ago.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/pubs/pub ... Number=210

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:34 am

Your a total plonker...Its talking about not doing anything despite the warning signs about the Hitler rising. One of the variables of proving the point is the holocaust, but I do not think stating the poem is "solely" this variable.

In fact if you have a generalised poem of this uprising, alot more Soviets died in numbers than Jewish people , so surely his directive was anti-Soviet?

I am dyslexic , Simon might be silly, Jonathan might be a child but someone dyslexic, someone silly , even a child could interpolate that poem in a proper manner.

Ben
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:37 am

Is this a direct link to the Sharks in the pub , dancing around the arbiters table?

That was a good pub, better than there race course!!

"I went to Great Yarmouth to support Makepeace and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" - were very cool.

Ben

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:40 am

Ben Purton wrote:Your a total plonker...Its talking about not doing anything despite the warning signs about the Hitler rising. One of the variables of proving the point is the holocaust, but I do not think stating the poem is "solely" this variable.
I'm not sure what this means, Ben, but - yes, of course the poem is directly about the Holocaust. It lists various groups who were carted off by the Nazis and taken to the camps where they were subsequently wiped out. Last in the list is "me,", i.e. Niemöller, who of course went to the camps eventually himself.

Hence, "directly". It is the poem's subject. That's what "directly" is, Ben. But of course that's not all it's about: plainly it invites people to draw conclusions for the future and for their own situation. Hamlet's most famous soliloquy isn't just about his consideration of suicide: but it is, directly, about suicide and his personal contemplation of that act.

You see?
Last edited by JustinHorton on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:42 am

Ben Purton wrote:Is this a direct link to the Sharks in the pub , dancing around the arbiters table?

Ben
I was thinking of the pub name myself.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:44 am

I'm not sure what this means, Ben, but - yes, of course the poem is directly about the Holocaust. It lists various groups who were carted off by the Nazis and taken to the camps where they were subsqeuerntly wiped out. Last in the list is "me,", i.e. Niemöller, who of course went to the camps eventually himself.

If this does not prove my point , I don't know what does. Considering your a liberarian, read Peter Longerich- the third Riech , very easy to get hold of.

also "wiped out" ......................??????????

Ben

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:48 am

Ben Purton wrote:If this does not prove my point , I don't know what does.
Am I struggling to understand you, Ben, or are you struggling to understand me?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Is leaching of this forum for the purposes of another blog or forum to be considered in accord with the House Rules. Particularly given that a free right of response may not necessarily be granted on another organ?
I prefer that URL's are quoted giving due respect both to this site and whatever "other" site people are quoting - that is the only fair way
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:04 pm

John Upham wrote:I would appeal to Carl (and ask everyone's permission also) to expunge the entire thread.
In this case no...
John Upham wrote:I can't make a plea to ECF Officials to endorse the forum when this kind of stuff pollutes it.

99% of the postings are useful and worth reading : let us make it 100% :D
Give it up John, the ECF do not want any debate
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Re: Manifest humbug

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:06 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Do us a favour Simon eh?
I would like to suggest Justin that you take a couple of steps back (whilst doing deep breathing exercises..) and try to calm down
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:09 pm

JustinHorton wrote:What I would ask you to do, Paul, is to cease complaining that somebody has had the effrontery to express an opinion in a place where you have no influence or control over it. It's a ludicrous suggestion and one wholly contrary to the principles of freedom of expression.
I have control but am depressed when I have to step in and ask people to behave
Cheers
Carl Hibbard