2016 Candidates Moscow 10-29 March

The very latest International round up of English news.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: 2016 Candidates Moscow 10-29 March

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:34 am

Richard Bates wrote:We just need a couple of forumites to simultaneously play 4 games against each other through the medium of the website.
It’s all quite absurd. The more absurd it is the more it shows up that Monsieur McClain's apparent statement that,

"The only thing they are trying to protect is the exclusivity of the broadcast during the broadcast."

is at best deeply deluded and more probably simply disingenuous. A chap has to earn a crust, of course, but it’s depressing to see him do it lickspittling for gits.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:21 am

Chessbomb has said it will be covering the Candidates live. Official statement tomorrow.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:43 am

This might be the official live video from the tournament, starting from today's opening cerimony:

http://livestream.com/ChessCast

If this is the official video feed from Agon, would anyone else find it amusing that Agon makes such a fuss about driving viewers to their website for live chessboards but then they use a video feed service that most likely allows viewing without the need of going to their website and accept their T&Cs? Go figure...

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:06 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tim Harding wrote:Well as I write for that website I shall definitely NOT be infringing its rules.
Do you agree with its interpretation then? If so, then why?

Actually if push comes to shove we should move discussions to the ECF website. There's little or no effective moderation and would FIDE's supposed partner really have the courage to attempt legal action against one of FIDE's constituent members?

I struggle to understand why Agon wants its events to take place in a publicity free zone, but they have form, given the "no spectators" venue for their very first event.
I just received the following email from Dylan McClain:

"I am standing with the lawyer for Agon and it turns out that posting moves is against the terms and conditions of World Chess.com I can send you a copy if you want to post it on the ECForum, but simply stated, posting moves during the games is not allowed. The idea behind all this is to drive traffic to the site to attract sponsors.
Again, we have sponsors lined up, they are waiting to see how all this plays out. In the end, if it works, it helps chess by bringing much more sponsorship. I understand that it seems very draconian, but it is not meant to be harsh or punitive. It is for commercial reasons.
So, we hope people watch the site and enjoy the games. We have commentators and a large TV studio built for all of this, at great expense."

As to RdeC's question above, since my writings for Worldchess are right now one of my principal sources of income I am of course not going to do anything to jeopardise that, and I won't be posting on the Forum (or the ECF forum) concerning the Candidates while it's in progress.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:11 pm

Tim, I understand your position totally, and think you are making a sensible decision

The rest of us can no doubt see things differently
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Dylan McClain wrote: ... if it works ....

These are not the words of a man who is 100% confident in his position.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:14 pm

Tim Harding (quoting nonsense from Agon) wrote:In the end, if it works, it helps chess by bringing much more sponsorship.
It hinders chess by denying events publicity and attempts to deny chess fans the opportunity to discuss games in real time. Most sports events have exclusive media coverage for the live action. That doesn't prevent other sites from broadcasting a summary of the action so far or prevent remote spectators from discussing it.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:22 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
I just received the following email from Dylan McClain:

"I am standing with the lawyer for Agon and it turns out that posting moves is against the terms and conditions of World Chess.com I can send you a copy if you want to post it on the ECForum, but simply stated, posting moves during the games is not allowed.
Simply stated, reporting and reproducing the moves of a chess game is legal and requires no permission from anybody to do it: it is simply the reporting of facts and to make threats against it is to threaten free speech. Shame on Dylan Loeb McClain.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:53 pm

I can understand the desire to be the sole live broadcast but the rest goes too far.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:I can understand the desire to be the sole live broadcast but the rest goes too far.
I take it back you have to login too :roll:
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: There is no validation on the email address!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:24 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: I take it back you have to login too
You are expected to agree to their term and conditions as part of the login, which try to have the effect of disallowing you from discussing the game whilst it is in progress. If there's a market at all for live chess games and it's certainly several zeros in size short of 600 hundred million, it's been built up by regular coverage of minor events.

As far as I am aware, they are showing the video in real time, so the moves of the game are not exactly copy protected. Once the moves have been made public, there isn't any means of preventing discussion, by those who have not signed for access to their official site anyway. Norwegian TV viewers are also, presumably, not required to agree to anything to watch telly and presumably are free to discuss what they've just watched.

There was a possibly similar dispute at the time of the 1993 Kasparov Short match where the BBC had to use slightly undercover methods to enable it to broadcast material on the match. The current ECF President was invited to participate in the unofficial coverage.

The attitude of the broader chess world to Agon is likely to be summed up by the response in Arkell v Pressdram. That wasn't KRB v KR rather
http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/t ... ye.282747/

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:10 pm

:lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Well, Chessbomb announced today they will be covering it live. Chess24.com sent an email saying they are covering it Live too.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:59 pm

Ray Sayers wrote:Chess24.com sent an email saying they are covering it Live too.
They don’t actually use the word "live" in the email, although that is the implication.

You can follow the action on chess24, where video commentary in English will feature Jan Gustafsson, Loek van Wely, Robin van Kampen, Pepe Cuenca and Anna Rudolf

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:21 pm

It links to the Live tournament pages, so that's a fair indication. We will see tomorrow.