EU Senior Individual Champs 2016 Yerevan

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Tim Harding

Re: EU Senior Individual Champs 2016 Yerevan

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:35 am

Round 9 is still in progress but Zurab Sturua has won the 50+ title.
He had the easiest pairing of the co-leaders and won his game while the other two drew.

Sturua 7,
Bagaturov and Vaganian 6.5 but others still playing can also reach 6.5.

In the 65+, Bogdanov-Gaprindashvili was an 8-move draw to finish on 6.5 and 6 respectively but others on lower boards can equal those totals.
Most importantly, it looks like Kupreichik (who has 5.5 so far) may beat Sveshnikov (6/8) to force a multi-way tie. Kupreichik has R and 4 v R and 2.

If Sveshnikov holds (very unlikely) he would presumably have the best tie-break but if Kupreichik wins his loss to Vasiukov in round 5 could cost him.
Watch this space.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:03 pm

I thought I posted a detailed report this afternoon but maybe something went wrong as it has vanished?

Final results of the two tournaments can be seen at http://chess-results.com/tnr218917.aspx ... =30&wi=984

Sturua (Georgia) won the 50+ and IM Valentin Bogdanov (Ukraine) won the 65+ after Kupreichik beat Sveshnikov in the final round.
Three players finished on 6.5 but Bogdanov had the better tiebreak. Correspondence GM Bent Sorensen from Denmark took bronze on tiebreak.

Peter Gayson (England) finished on 50 per cent after losing his last game in the 50+ while Roger Scowen (the other English representative) won his third game in succession in the 65+ to finish on 4/9.

The World Senior Teams start on the 26th; see the separate thread for that.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 am

This looks like awful after-timing, but, irrespective of rating, I made the more active Sturua favourite over Vaganian to retain the 50+ title.

His Senior tally now reads:

European 50+ Bronze in 2014, Gold in 2015 and Gold in 2016;
World 50+ Gold (on tie-break) in 2014.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:18 pm

What were you doing awake at 2.25am Keith? (Time of your post.)
Don't you realise that rounds 2-9 at the World Teams (in less than a fortnight) begin at 9.30am?

The body clock needs to be adjusted. I'm already trying to force myself to get to bed by 11pm in training...
Tim Harding

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:05 am

Tim Harding wrote:What were you doing awake at 2.25am Keith? (Time of your post.)
Don't you realise that rounds 2-9 at the World Teams (in less than a fortnight) begin at 9.30am?

The body clock needs to be adjusted. I'm already trying to force myself to get to bed by 11pm in training...
One game a day? That'll be a luxury compared to my recent schedule, Tim! I've played 11 consecutive weekenders, often including playing 3 games on the Saturday :P

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:51 am

Tim Harding wrote:I thought I posted a detailed report this afternoon but maybe something went wrong as it has vanished?

... SNIP
A oouple of my posts - one here and one elsewhere - also seem to have gone missing.

Probably due to a s/w hiccough, or three.

Mine are often dispensable so I'm not
bothered.

Yours, Tim, are usually indispensable so thanks for reiterating your report on the results. I would not have been able to follow the event anywhere near as well without your very informative coverage here.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:03 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:
Tim Harding wrote:What were you doing awake at 2.25am Keith? (Time of your post.)

One game a day? That'll be a luxury compared to my recent schedule, Tim! I've played 11 consecutive weekenders, often including playing 3 games on the Saturday :P
Also I suppose you'll be having some days off in Radebeul, Keith, so it will really seem like a summer holiday! (Paid, I hope?)
See you there!
Tim Harding