London chess-FIDE open

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: London chess-FIDE open

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Another event has been confirmed by a 4NCL Congress circular. There will be a British Knockout Championship from 1st to 9th December. The open qualifier place will be the winner of the next 4NCL Congress, which is at Coventry over the weekend of 3-5 November.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:02 am

So there will be a tournament 3-5 November in Coventry, right?
Unfortunately too lately announced

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:55 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:So there will be a tournament 3-5 November in Coventry, right?
Unfortunately too lately announced
The Coventry tournament was announced several months ago.
http://www.4ncl.co.uk/fide/information_16.htm

There's another one in January
http://www.4ncl.co.uk/fide/information_17.htm

All that's new is that the winner will be a qualifier for the British Knockout taking place alongside the Olympia FIDE Open. The same method was used last year.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Is it true that Brits have no good opinion of middle-easterns generally?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:04 am

Having lost all faith in Merkel's EU and Trump's US, it's safe to say, the Brits have no good opinion left of any other nation on the planet - with the possible exception of the Canadians & New Zealanders?

But, everyone feels at home in London no matter where they are from because the 'visitors' outnumber the 'natives' there.

Get a flight to London Heathrow and stay in a budget hotel somewhere between the airport and the playing venue at Olympia and you'll feel like you're in your home away from home since so many "middle easterns" frequent the area.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:46 pm

I think we're still friendly with Norway, Switzerland and Portugal. There are plenty of arguments in Britain - England vs Scotland, North vs South, Yorkshire vs Lancashire, Lancashire vs Greater Manchester, I could go on...

People are people everywhere and have their likes and dislikes. Some express their dislikes in unpleasant ways.

John is right, there are several parts of London where the visitors outnumber the locals. But it is cosmopolitan and we are used to seeing a wide variety of people of different races here.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:14 pm

John McKenna wrote:Get a flight to London Heathrow and stay in a budget hotel somewhere between the airport and the playing venue at Olympia and you'll feel like you're in your home away from home since so many "middle easterns" frequent the area.
or stay somewhere near Edgware Road - "The southernmost part of the road, south of the junction with Marylebone Road, is noted for its distinct Middle Eastern flavour. Many Lebanese restaurants, shisha cafes and Arabic-themed nightclubs line the street."

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 am

A woman is filling the form for me and say it Needs the address and phone number of the place of residence, what shall I do?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:10 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:A woman is filling the form for me and say it Needs the address and phone number of the place of residence, what shall I do?
If the "form" is the entry form for the tournament, your address in Iran. It's so the organisers can send stuff through the post, but they probably wouldn't bother for overseas players.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:38 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:A woman is filling the form for me and say it Needs the address and phone number of the place of residence, what shall I do?
If the "form" is the entry form for the tournament, your address in Iran. It's so the organisers can send stuff through the post, but they probably wouldn't bother for overseas players.
I suspect he means a visa application form, or similar, which wants to know where he'll be staying whilst in the UK. In that case, he ought to book somewhere to stay, preferably on a rate that can be cancelled without penalty, so he can put it on the form.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:41 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
I suspect he means a visa application form, or similar, which wants to know where he'll be staying whilst in the UK. In that case, he ought to book somewhere to stay, preferably on a rate that can be cancelled without penalty, so he can put it on the form.
Yes, do you know of such a place?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:48 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Ian Thompson wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Yes, do you know of such a place?
Just about any decent hotel in London will offer rates that can be cancelled without penalty up to shortly before the arrival date.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:27 am

My invitation was for Calgary, but I returned back to Iran. does it need to be for Tehran, with my address changed?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:09 pm

:(
Travel agency clerk got an appointment for me on Nov 20
Can I make it?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:47 am

She advanced it to 5 Nov!