Abolish Women's Chess Titles? Discuss.......

Discuss anything you like about women's chess at home and abroad.
Maria Yurenok

Re: Abolish Women's Chess Titles? Discuss.......

Post by Maria Yurenok » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:46 pm

I think we've gone the full circle in this subject. Women's titles should stay for the reasons I described in my earlier post and even better described by Kosteniuk in her article. Women are still achieving WIM and WGM titles which suggests that logistics are not having a massive impact.

Being WFM, I wish I could demand conditions! I consider myself lucky if my entry fee is waived. Some round-robin tournament organisers can be generous with offering free accommodation and food, but that's more of a lucky strike than a standard. When I become WIM I'll let you know how much my conditions improve :)

Alan - I've been invited by Sean to play in IM norm round-robin back in February. But back then I didn't feel confident that I'd do well so I declined (it was the right decision as I found out later). Now I also feel it's too much of a physical and psychological strain to play 4 days of double rounds. I'm definitely with Nigel Short on this one - one round a day, time for preparation and relaxation. I have also researched Gibraltar's tournament table and found that I'm highly unlikely to get a WIM norm there as I will almost certainly not play enough titled players. Last time there was a huge mass of untitled players below 2300. I'm probably going to Cap D'Agde where at least they have a rating cap of minimum 2000. And then London Classic will probably have a WIM round-robin.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:23 pm

I wonder, if it is possible for a man to get a womens title then would he be allowed to play in the 4ncl and occupy the female slot in a team?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:30 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:I wonder, if it is possible for a man to get a womens title then would he be allowed to play in the 4ncl and occupy the female slot in a team?
No. What on earth makes you think he would?