ECF Manager of ICT

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

ECF Manager of ICT

Post by John Upham » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:46 am

ECF News
Duncan Burbidge has been appointed as Acting Manager of ICT.

is the hot news on the ECF web site. Anyone know Duncan?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matthew Turner

Re: ECF Manager of ICT

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Photo is here

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=412198

Looks like he is a county strength player who doesn't play that much, only 9 graded games in the last year. I always find it strange when someone who is not a regular player wants to be involved with the ECF.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Duncan and I have chatted informally at length today.

He has lots of great ideas and ways of making progress. :D

I very much hope that he accepts the role at the March board meeting.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:38 pm

Just for the record I have had a private discussion with Duncan last week before any announcement was made and although I don't agree with all the points and ideas up for debate at least we should move in the right direction if he takes up the post?

A movement in any sort of direction would be nice :)
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Just for the record I have had a private discussion with Duncan last week before any announcement was made and although I don't agree with all the points and ideas up for debate at least we should move in the right direction if he takes up the post?

Like what?
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Matthew Turner wrote: I always find it strange when someone who is not a regular player wants to be involved with the ECF.
The problem is most of those who are regular players either don't want to spend time on administration, or are not that good at it (or both).

That was why I offered to be the SCCU Junior Organiser - nothing was being organised.
Being the SCCU junior organiser, and Surrey Youth Team Organiser and running 3 school chess teams are some of the the reasons why I don't play much chess. I now run a chess club and teams, but only play when one of the others is not available (quite often, actually - I've already had 5 LP and 5 QP club games this season).

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:48 pm

Charles W. Wood wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Just for the record I have had a private discussion with Duncan last week before any announcement was made and although I don't agree with all the points and ideas up for debate at least we should move in the right direction if he takes up the post?

Like what?
The post covers all ICT matters and since the ECF aren't really at the leading edge you could say well everything...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:57 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Charles W. Wood wrote:

Like what?
The post covers all ICT matters and since the ECF aren't really at the leading edge you could say well everything...
I know I'm being very thick but what is the ECF ICT stock and issues. I really don't understand. I kinda thought each puter was run by the relevant Manager; like Grading Office would look after the Grading Computer. What are we talking about and what change could be done.

I'm only asking to find out about a section of the ECF I don't understand.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:10 pm

John Upham wrote:Duncan Burbidge has been appointed as Acting Manager of ICT.
It appears this is no longer the case although an actual report of the fact is missing off the main ECF site?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:34 pm

Carl,
Your posting can be read in a number of ways. Are you saying that Duncan has resigned?
This would seem to be quite worrying given the IT changes that are taking place and particularly given the latest announcement on the ECF webpage

"Further to us thinking that email our ECF email was fixed, we have discovered that although incoming emails appear to be working, we are unable to send any email via our accounts until a blacklisting issue is resolved. We are working with DHS to ensure the swiftest resolution possible and will keep you all informed. If we have not responded to something vital you've sent us, give us a call on (01424) 775222"

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:04 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Carl,
Your posting can be read in a number of ways. Are you saying that Duncan has resigned?
This would seem to be quite worrying given the IT changes that are taking place and particularly given the latest announcement on the ECF webpage
I would prefer something official to be forthcoming rather than me comment further to be honest
Matthew Turner wrote:"Further to us thinking that email our ECF email was fixed, we have discovered that although incoming emails appear to be working, we are unable to send any email via our accounts until a blacklisting issue is resolved. We are working with DHS to ensure the swiftest resolution possible and will keep you all informed. If we have not responded to something vital you've sent us, give us a call on (01424) 775222"
This one is just unrelated incompetence
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Does anyone know who the the Manager of ICT is?

I recall that Alan Martin was the last person in post having been appointed without any visible signs of the vacancy being advertised.

Will the same happen again or will the post be advertised?

For the record, what are the other current vacancies?

I assume :

1. Chairman of the Finance Committee
2. Manager of Rating and Grading
3. Manager of ICT
4. Alternate CEO

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:31 pm

The vacancies list is here:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/?page_id=54

Nobody with sufficient competence would be daft enough to take up the ICT role, the rest are fillable I suppose
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:44 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:The vacancies list is here:

Nobody with sufficient competence would be daft enough to take up the ICT role, the rest are fillable I suppose
I agree.

The candidate would have to be permitted to sort things out without interference and they would need a non-zero budget. That is, they would have to be trusted as well as being competent and they would need means to come up with solutions.

From what I know about the back office infrastructure there is no point anyone taking it on if they want to achieve something. The hiring of a skip must be part of the plan.

If they simply want the cue-dos of being Manager but have no desire to actually sort out the problems then anyone could fit the role.

Even an IT Project Manager could take it on on that basis!

If there was ever a poisoned chalice then this must be it!

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:56 pm

We have two directorial positions unfilled currently, both non-executive.
All the managerial positions are reconsidered by the new Board. Where people are reasonably happy an incumbent may stay in place.
I agree ICT has been one of the most difficult.
We no longer have a Strategic Planning Officer, although Andrew Farthing will possibly continue to shoulder that burden plus those of CEO.
There is no requirement that a director has an Alternate. I believe the only two that do have are now Junior and Home. I would very much welcome an Alternate for Marketing.

Stewart Reuben