Your 4NCL games

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Alex Holowczak

Your 4NCL games

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:58 pm

If people put their games into Fritz (or similar) this weekend (or early next week), the games inputters would appreciate it if you saved the file, added the names, and sent it to [email protected] - that way we can use it to check what we've done already, or even use it if we haven't put yours into the database yet... This would be particularly helpful for people playing in either the Northern League (where the games probably won't reach Jack until Tuesday), and Division Three where there are about 200 games between 3 inputters, all of whom are playing at the actual weekend. So it'll help to speed up the process a bit!

If you spot mistakes in the games as they appear on the 4NCL website, send an e-mail to the same address, and we'll look into it.

Michael Jones

Re: Your 4NCL games

Post by Michael Jones » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Are you only interested in mistakes in this year's games? I can correct a mistake in a game from round 5 of the 2008-09 season if you want.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:44 pm

Michael Jones wrote:Are you only interested in mistakes in this year's games? I can correct a mistake in a game from round 5 of the 2008-09 season if you want.
Probably not, I don't have those games! Just this year's games, plus mistakes we make inputting them.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks to everyone who submitted their games to us at the last 4NCL weekend. I hope the PGN file is devoid of mistakes!

Submissions for this weekend would be appreciated too. Note that it will take longer for the games in the lower divisions to appear; given the relative youth of the inputters, most of us are into an exam period at the moment. Personally, I have exams until next Saturday, but others will drag on for longer. Bear this in mind before complaining about the absence of the games!

With all but the Northern League in the same venue, we should be able to get through both rounds of Division One, and hopefully both rounds of Division Two, by Monday morning. Be patient with the rest. :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:59 am

Well, you did ask

Northern League Round 2 - you have transposed my rating with that of my opponent (at least on the game replay on the website, I've not looked at the pgn)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:14 pm

That was due to a skeleton PGN not being present; makes those things much more likely. Could you point that out in an e-mail to [email protected] - otherwise I'll forget about it tomorrow!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:42 pm

I don't know why, I emailed a copy of the game from my database.... would have been better to use that?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Mick Norris wrote:I don't know why, I emailed a copy of the game from my database.... would have been better to use that?
I sent that message in a rush from University without actually checking the inbox, you're right... :oops:

Should get it done tomorrow before the start of the round, assuming there are no major delays in transit from Sandwell & Dudley to Hinckley.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:27 am

well done to Jon Rogers on his win v the (shaved) wolf. Look forward to seeing the game.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks Gavin but the game will probably be a slight disappointment - Speelman blundered quite spectacularly. I needed to offer a swap of queens to avoid getting mated (...Qa2-a5) and I confidently expected him to snap the queeens off and convert an endgame a pawn up (though it would be a rather obscure ending, so play would continue, but of course not very hopefully against Speelman ...). But after about twenty seconds he played another move entirely (Qc3xf6), designed to mate me there and then but which allowed me to play Qa5xd2 with devastating consequences.

I then tried to convince myself that I had deserved this luck! I had put him under some sort of pressure earlier on, with some unconventional play, so was happy with that - but then I had been the first to go seriously wrong (with Qa3-a2) and the real reason why he blundered was rather that he was too relaxed. He had half an hour or more left on the clock too! So really it was "just luck" but very timely - it was even my first win of the season :shock:

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:18 pm

Will the round 8 games be available to download before next weekend?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:43 am

Gareth Harley-Yeo wrote:Will the round 8 games be available to download before next weekend?
Yes. Apologies for the delay; Div 2's inputter has been otherwise engaged for the past month, and Div 1's inputter has been on holiday for the last 2 1/2 weeks.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:44 am

Maybe the board should impose a leave embargo :roll:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:34 pm

We now know the problem. The person thought they had sent me the games before going on holiday. A second attempt today revealed the problem; the place the files were being sent from has set up its firewall such that you can't e-mail files. So there was no capacity to actually send the games to me.

So - problem identified, and we should have a solution in the next 24 hours.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Solution emailed to you Alex