Queens Gambit Accepted?

Technical questions regarding Openings, Middlegames, Endings etc.
Gareth Harley-Yeo

Re: Queens Gambit Accepted?

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:48 am

Short answer: No, it's not a bad opening. In fact I think you'd do quite well with it if you learn it properly. As somebody who's played the QG for over 10 years I think I've faced the QGA maybe 6-7 times. For this reason alone the white player is unlikely to be so up on his theory as he would vs the QGD options.

Saying that though, it comes down to taste. I've never enjoyed the resulting positions as black. Thought about a slav? or semi-slav? it's a bit more solid and you have lots of choices as to how you want to steer the game.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:31 pm

I have played the QGA on a regular basis since the mid-80s, and it has served me well.

Two main problems:

1) Some White players will try to blow it off the board with aggressive lines such as the following:

3e4;
3Nf3 Nf6 4Nc3 followed by an early e4;
"main line" variations (ie White plays e3 & Bxc4, Black counters with c5) where White tries an early pawn sac with e4!?

You need to know a bit of theory to cope with these lines!

2) Going to the other extreme, I have found lower rated players often play an early dxc5 in the "main line", swap off queens and go quite shamelessly for the draw. Since they usually play so passively, it is normally possible to win nonetheless - but the resulting positions may not be to everybody's taste........

With the above in mind, happy QGA'ing! :D
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Warren Kingston wrote:
Is the Queens Gambit Accepted a bad opening because it doesn't seem to get the same use as other opening?
The QGA is totally viable and yet to be refuted. Black temporarily gives up a stake in the centre but hits (or should at least!) back pretty quickly with c5 and active pieces.

White will try and establish a nice centre with a quick or delayed e4. As with most QP openings White will attempt to play e4 and e5 and mate Black with once the Knight has been driven from f6.

If White plays the obvious and principled 3.e4 then Black can easily play 3..e5

A game of chess is the result!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:06 pm

The other aspect to this point is that if you do not like NF6 type openings then it kind of shows you the type of game you prefer (open/closed/attacking/passive positions/etc)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:09 pm

QGA can't be a bad opening. One practical problem at club level, however, is that you need to be careful not to be move ordered by folk who don't play c2-c4 on move 2.

Not that this is necessarily insurmountable. It's just something you don't necessarily have to think about with other set-ups.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Warren Kingston wrote:Gavin didn't say I didn't like Nf6 openings, I just get mullered. I like open attacking chess, but play better when its closed and passive??
i get mullered on several pints of bitter but prefer lager. Whatever opening you go for know your self.

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:51 am

Warren Kingston wrote:Is the Queens Gambit Accepted a bad opening because it doesn't seem to get the same use as other opening?
I found Rizzitano's book (How to Beat 1.d4, pub. Gambit) quite helpful. I play 1.d4 as white and need to know what I might face from black.

Robert Stokes

Post by Robert Stokes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Although I'm not very good, my play has been influenced by the book "The System" by Hans Berliner. He was correspondence world champion in about 1966 and one of the original chess computer programmers. If anyone really has time to analyse a situation then surely it is a correspondence player.

He claims to have fully worked out responses by white to QGA, QGD, Kings Indian, Benko, and Benoni which maintain white's opening advantage. However, he admits not having fully worked out responses by white to Slav, Semi -Slav, and Nimzo-Indian.

This has made me decide to play the Semi-Slav against 1. d4, as if he doesn't know for sure what to do how can ordinary players?

That said, leading Grandmasters use QGA so it can't be bad.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:15 pm

Warren Kingston wrote:Robert, thanks for giving your opinion on QGA. I have started playing it and my game results have shot up. Chuffed to bits.
You can only have been playing it for 4 days! ;)

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:49 am

I think this is supposed to be a good book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Queens-Gambit-A ... 772&sr=8-2

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:48 am

Nick Burrows wrote:I think this is supposed to be a good book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Queens-Gambit-A ... 772&sr=8-2
I've got their book on the Grünfeld and it's phenomenal. Sakaev is a 2600+ GM who puts his heart and soul into the material. The English is a bit clumsy but that's irrelevant.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu May 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Robert Stokes wrote: ..... Hans Berliner ..... claims to have fully worked out responses by white to QGA, QGD, Kings Indian, Benko, and Benoni which maintain white's opening advantage.
What opening advantage? White has an initiative by virtue of being the first to move, but that's all. Doesn't matter what White does; if Black always answers correctly then the only possible result is a draw!
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Get hold of How to beat 1. d4 by James Rizzitano http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1904 ... ss_product I've been studying it on and off for about a month, the analysis of the QGA (which is Rizzitano's recommendation against the QG) is really top notch, plus you get a get a good working knowledge of any other Queens pawn systems where after 1...d5 white omits 2.c4 The Blackmar-Diemer Gambit stuff is great - you can take the pawn with a big smile.

I think the QGA will be my main weapon next season - Apart from a brief flirtation with the Dutch, I've played 1...Nf6 for the last 2 years, usually going into a Benoni, with mixed results, but I've grown tired of the cramped positions I get, and I've never got on with the KID.

I’ve seen a lot of 120 and below players respond 3.e3 to the QGA - either just not knowing what to do and/or hoping for the famous piece winning trap if black goes 3… b5 - but against 3.e3 black can just go 3…e5 with a wonderful game immediately.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Thu May 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Warren Kingston wrote:I am not sure want to play against d4. Nf6 leaves my with egg on my face (every time)

Is the Queens Gambit Accepted a bad opening because it doesn't seem to get the same use as other opening?
If you are fairly sure someone is going to play QG against you, try the Budapest gambit.

It mucks up whites normal plans and nearly always you can win the pawn back.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu May 19, 2011 1:42 pm

PeterTurland wrote: If you are fairly sure someone is going to play QG against you, try the Budapest gambit.

It mucks up whites normal plans and nearly always you can win the pawn back.
and if White plays 2. Nf3 and then 3. c4 how would this work?

Many people play the QG via a 1. d4 2. Nf3 3. c4 move order to avoid the various e5 tries although this won't stop the hardened Englund Gambit fan!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D