Midlands Rapid u150 GP

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
raycollett

Midlands Rapid u150 GP

Post by raycollett » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:45 pm

With results now in from the Stockport Rapidplay, Ben Scattergood (Holmes Chapel) leads with Harry Brooks (Great Lever) second. For leaderboard and details see http://www.mccu.org.uk/gp/rgp_lead.htm.

raycollett

Re: Midlands Rapid u150 GP

Post by raycollett » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:15 pm

Manchester Rapidplay results are at last up delayed by faults in Worcs telecoms infrastructure on the MCCU website athttp://www.mccu.org.uk/gp/rgp_lead.htm. Ben Scattergood remains in the lead on 16 points (subject to confirmation that Holmes Chapel is a MCCU-associated club), followed by Michael Connor (Great Lever, GMC) on 14, Harry Brooks (Great Lever, GMC) on 11½, David Dunne (West Nottingham) on 10½, and Ian Lamb (Bolton, GMC) on 10 points. Full results of the Manchester Rapidplay are available on the Manchester Chess Federation website at http://www.manchesterchessfederation.co.uk/page19.html.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:37 pm

To my knowledge, Holmes Chapel are a Cheshire club, and as such affiliated to the NCCU....I presume. But that may not preclude the individual from having a MCCU connection.

Like, I see Holmes Chapel also play in the Stoke League...MCCU territory..!!
Last edited by David Pardoe on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:39 pm

The ECF grading database http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getcl ... mes+chapel shows Holmes Chapel as being MCCU and NCCU. Don't know how reliable that is though.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:The ECF grading database http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getcl ... mes+chapel shows Holmes Chapel as being MCCU and NCCU. Don't know how reliable that is though.
When the first person was presented with this problem, I suspect the following thought process may have occurred: "Oh, sod it, I'll just put them both down." I don't know if the club list updates for clubs playing in leagues in a different union.

There may well have been a more detailed thought process, but does it matter, really? They play in a league in MCCU territory, so that's good enough for me.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Same presumably applies to Macclesfield players. They too play in the Stoke League.
Presumably this also makes those players eligable to play in the MCCU counties competition.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:00 pm

The question is actually if the club is affliated to the MCCU, 3Cs plays in the Bury and Rochdale League which is affliated to the NCCU but 3Cs is affliated to Manchester, within the Manchester league certain clubs are affiliated with the NCCU and not Greater Manchester therefore could be described as ineligible (e.g. Urmston, Rochdale, Heywood)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Alan Walton wrote:The question is actually if the club is affliated to the MCCU, 3Cs plays in the Bury and Rochdale League which is affliated to the NCCU but 3Cs is affliated to Manchester, within the Manchester league certain clubs are affiliated with the NCCU and not Greater Manchester therefore could be described as ineligible (e.g. Urmston, Rochdale, Heywood)
It can also qualify by where it is, I think.

After all, Warwickshire has no concept of clubs of affiliating to it.

Therefore, under the BCF agreement from the 1970s, if you play for a club in the region covered by Greater Manchester, then you're eligible. So Rochdale, Urmstone and Heywood would also be let in in that way, I believe.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Alan Walton wrote:..3Cs plays in the Bury and Rochdale League which is affliated to the NCCU ..
Really?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Alan Walton wrote:..3Cs plays in the Bury and Rochdale League which is affliated to the NCCU ..
Really?
I thought it was but maybe I was thinking when it was just the Rochdale League, also I don't know if we currently have a team but we used to have one

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Alan Walton wrote:The question is actually if the club is affliated to the MCCU, 3Cs plays in the Bury and Rochdale League which is affliated to the NCCU but 3Cs is affliated to Manchester, within the Manchester league certain clubs are affiliated with the NCCU and not Greater Manchester therefore could be described as ineligible (e.g. Urmston, Rochdale, Heywood)
It can also qualify by where it is, I think.

After all, Warwickshire has no concept of clubs of affiliating to it.

Therefore, under the BCF agreement from the 1970s, if you play for a club in the region covered by Greater Manchester, then you're eligible. So Rochdale, Urmstone and Heywood would also be let in in that way, I believe.
Yes, Rochdale, Urmston, Heywood players qualify as MCCU under the GP rules as they are in Greater Manchester, and indeed all those clubs are members of the MCF

However, if the players play for a non-MCCU county, they become ineligible for the RGP

That's why although the RGP events have finished, the results won't be finalised until the NCCU county championships have been played

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Mick Norris wrote: However, if the players play for a non-MCCU county, they become ineligible for the RGP
Oh really? So if one plays county chess for Surrey (for arguments sake), but had played in the RGP as they're spending the year at University (while playing for a Birmingham-based club in the Birmingham League), they'd become ineligible for the RGP?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Well, the point is to pay a prize out of MCCU funds to an MCCU player, not one who is non-MCCU

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Well, the point is to pay a prize out of MCCU funds to an MCCU player, not one who is non-MCCU
Of course. But if they play for an MCCU club, or in an MCCU league, or for an MCCU county, then I don't really see why we should be stopping them winning any prizes. We certainly don't want to bring GM/Lancs politics into it... which is where I fear such a ruling could be headed.