4NCL Northern League....steps forward

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
David Pardoe

Re: 4NCL Northern League....steps forward

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:07 pm

You are quite correct Mike.
And if Sean can manage 5 teams simultaineously, surely others could manage just one...lets hope so...
BRING BACK THE BCF

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:02 am

Paul Robson wrote:There will very likely be a team from the North East entering the Northern league. We have Durham and Northumberland chess associations backing. Sponsors love the £50 discount Mike !

Just have to think of a team name ! any ideas?

Oh and if anyone wishes to register with us please let Robin Horner,Durham, John Wheeler Northumberland or myself know.
It would be good to see entries from Teesside/Cleveland too..!
With venues near Bishop Auckland & Harrogate offering great facilities...lets hear from the Teesside brethern...
This event caters for a wide range of players from circa 225 down to about ECF 140, so its not just an elitist club..

Also, I note that David Grobler from Huddersfield area said he was having trouble getting players.
Andrew Wainwright from Bradford said he knows a number of players who would be interested....I`m guessing he means from the Bradford/Sheffield/South Yorks area. David, if you are willing to captain a team I suggest you PM Andrew to see what players he knows.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:50 pm

It would be good to see entries from Teesside/Cleveland too..!
With venues near Bishop Auckland & Harrogate offering great facilities...lets hear from the Teesside brethern...
This event caters for a wide range of players from circa 225 down to about ECF 140, so its not just an elitist club
David
I did approach the Cleveland League but they were not sure about the level of interest and have not come back to me, the door is still open. I would be interested to hear from any Cleveland players who would wis to play.

This would also geographically increase the area for sponsorship deals. :D

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:15 pm

[
Also, I note that David Grobler from Huddersfield area said he was having trouble getting players.
Andrew Wainwright from Bradford said he knows a number of players who would be interested....I`m guessing he means from the Bradford/Sheffield/South Yorks area. David, if you are willing to captain a team I suggest you PM Andrew to see what players he knows.
sorry...too late....I gave up trying to muster a team together...and Ive joined some other established outfit(that will hopefully be running a Northern team though :) )

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Dear all

North East England are entering a team for 2011/12. I would be interested to hear from any North East based players wishing to play for us. I can be messaged by members via this forum. Please note you dont have to play at all the venues as we will rotate the team , just to give the others a chance ! :lol:

Although we have some sponsorship I am happy to hear from any futher sponsors that wish to support North East Chess.

Thanks Paul

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:28 pm

I hope Tyneside manage to get some good support for there new team...
Did you try the Middlesborough Congress for spreading the word....
And, yes, I`d have thought that Teeside/south Durham could also raise a useful team...
Remember, its a league for teams of just 6 players (team pool/squad) of say 10 - 12 players.
And note that this league caters for quite a wide range of players..circa 135 up to about the 225 level...so bags of player choice, I`d have thought.
I see that the Northumberland Congress is coming shortly, so maybe thats another opportunity to promote the new northern league. If someone could put up some promotional notices at these congresses, I`d hope that it might spur some interest, and increase awareness. Somwe good publicity at Scarborough would not go amiss either.....

Away the lads......
BRING BACK THE BCF

Paul Robson

Post by Paul Robson » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Thanks David

All is in hand - I did get some interest from Middlesbrough Congress . I have just entered the one team and we will see how it goes. Northumberland, Durham and Cleveland chess Associations are all involved. Just like to crawl before we walk with this one.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Good to see the North East join the Northern League party..top marks for effort there.
Just need some additional support from other northern chess hot spots, such as Central Lancs/Preston...Yorks/Bradford C...and Merseyside..another great chess centre.
A South Manchester team might also not go amiss...and support from other chess heartlands like Sheffield/Leeds....Huddersfield..perhaps. Even support from other North Midlands quarters would be greatly welcome and add balance to the 3rd Divisions..... can e2e4 stand the heat and join the party.... :D :D :D

Its for teams of 6 players, so not a big ask...and great playing conditions and good discount rates...and a reduction of £50 for teams entering the Northern 4NCL league...!! And its not just for the elite
classes. Players in the 225 - 135 grade range are catered for in the Northern league...something for all players. Has your club/league/chess group entered..??

A bit more `official` promotion and literature/advertizing at Northern Congresses and maybe County events from 4NCL might also help. I`m a great advocate of hard copy literature to take the message to the people...not just `web blasts` which can get lost in the noise.
Manchester have made good progress so far this season, and have already got provisonal bookings for all the main players for all this seasons matches...top marks to Jon Lonsdale & those involved.
Can Manchester sweep to the top of the league, or will the others come out fighting too....
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Your enthusiasm in support of Saint Jude is commendable. However, I need to regretfully point out that the deadline for entries was the end of August, so you have rather missed the boat. In any event, given that the significant amount of publicity for the Northern League for the several months before the deadline elicited the grand total of one new northern team entry and an overall increase in numbers of precisely zero, I rather doubt that a late push at this stage is going to have any effect other than to demonstrate the futility of continuing to push water uphill.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:49 am

Bob Clark wrote:Given that only 6 teams have entered are you still going to run the competition this year? and if you do what will the format be for the six rounds?
Six teams over 6 rounds is a bit like eight teams over 8 rounds, so maybe the same as last year? I.e. an APA for 5, followed by a Jamboree?

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:24 am

Various hurdles seem to have led to things taking time to get started...for the new northern 4ncl league..
One question might be...what additional ingredients/changes are needed to help constructively drive things forward.
I certainly believe that our northern area needs good quality chess events such as this..
Whether some more effective promotion/publicity drives are needed, to get the message out more clearly to northern club/league & congress players is a mute point. Certainly some hard copy `official` posters at congresses and other events might help. Although 4ncl operate a good and informative website, many chess players are only occasional web users/browsers for chess.
Disappointing that Augsburg (Merseyside) have apparently dropped out...and they seemed to have the makings of a good squad of players. And of course we lost 25% of our teams through the `one way` promotion system to the `southern` group.
Many northern players are already snapped up by the `southern` branch.
Other venues might help at some point..maybe Preston (to encourage our Lancs/north western brethern.
And how about Sheffield...Ponds Forge perhaps... :D they turned out in force for the recent `British`...
Thats not to forget there is already a fair range of chess activities going on...County..good Congresses..Saturday leagues like the Woodhouse, which appears to thrive. And other league events.
Bob..I see you are from Chester area..is there any groups/clubs/leagues there who might be able to raise teams. Surely we can raise a few teams of 6-players, given the league caters for a broad range of players..so many club players would be quite comfortable with the playing standard..but more of our `top guns` would be welcome.
It may or may not be too late this season, but at a future date such entries would I`m sure be welcome.
PS It would be interesting to know how many northern based club/league/county/other chess bodies actually had `4ncl Northern league` on there AGM agendas...and if so, what was said regarding entry of teams. Of course, as Mike says, any group of chess players can form a team.
Last edited by David Pardoe on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:37 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Bob Clark wrote:Given that only 6 teams have entered are you still going to run the competition this year? and if you do what will the format be for the six rounds?
Six teams over 6 rounds is a bit like eight teams over 8 rounds, so maybe the same as last year? I.e. an APA for 5, followed by a Jamboree?
Exactly, but disappointing nonetheless

I think Mike is right to be frustrated, as I am and Bob is, at the lack of entries - although we have gained geographically and welcome the North East team, losing Aigburth is a shame (as they were the only team we beat last year, Dave's idea of Manchester sweeping the league is preposterous)

What I have discovered is that talking about it to people face to face is the best way to encourage them into the team (I picked up our board 1 at Leyland by overhearing him talking to someone else) - personally, I find it frustrating that I can do this playing only 2 days congress chess in a year, yet others (some of whom have played 4NCL North) play more often and fail sometimes even to mention it :x

I don't agree that chess players don't know about it, just that the people in influential positions to encourage it haven't done so, particularly in Lancs and Cumbria

Anyway, I have a room booked at Redworth Hall and look forward to renewing acquaintance with Bob and others, and enjoying the chess as last year - Manchester currently have a full team of 6 picked for each of the 11 rounds, so getting through without defaults (aim 1) seems likely to be satisfied
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:55 am

Yes, Manchester have built on last years experience, and although they may not run away with the title this year, they should give a good account of themselves.
It will be interesting to see how the new North East team fairs.....kicking off on `home` ground at Darlington/Bishop Auckland in the Tees Valley certainly should see them off to a good start...and the venue is top drawer.
One of the `obsticles` is being well organised...and we seem to be set fair on that score. I`ve heard it said that captains are reluctant to come forward and run teams. I can see that at first glance the rules/administration might look a bit scarey, its not that bad when you look closer. Certainly existing captains can be contacted through the 4ncl website and would be glad to advise. Getting to grips with the finances/fees is vital, and a fair team contribution scheme should not be hard to formulate.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 am

Given that only 6 teams have entered are you still going to run the competition this year? and if you do what will the format be for the six rounds?
Yes, we will run it again this year. I expect the format will be as last year, i.e. a jamoree style sixth round. As it transpires, having combined weekends for the two final weekends proved to be prescient!

The venues are booked for this season and next, so we will certainly be carrying on for 2012/2013 unless something unforeseen happens. The main worry is that the venues will tire of providing 4NCL terms (free venue, bedroom commission etc) for a small event that isn't paying its own way - although at the moment I am able to use the 'if you want the bigger weekends you need to fit this one in as well' line.

In the unlikely event that there any late entrants for this season we can of course fit them in. An odd number of teams is not a problem given the possibility of playing triangular matches.

Thank you to all who have worked (and are working) so hard to publicise the Northern League. It's obviously a bit disappointing for everyone that it's not bearing as much fruit yet as we had hoped. Economic conditions are not exactly on our side either. However, the 4NCL itself took a few years to really take off, so hopefully this will be the same.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:51 am

Mick Norris wrote: I think Mike is right to be frustrated, as I am and Bob is, at the lack of entries - although we have gained geographically and welcome the North East team, losing Aigburth is a shame (as they were the only team we beat last year, Dave's idea of Manchester sweeping the league is preposterous)
Mick..you spoke at a Manchester AGM urging that our County `Open` team should drop out of the Open event because you felt it had no chance of winning, if memory serves....?
But our County team did have problems last year getting out a team, so would have struggled regardless.
Hopefully the move to `Minor` will encourage more support and we can make a better showing.
I don't agree that chess players don't know about it, just that the people in influential positions to encourage it haven't done so, particularly in Lancs and Cumbria

I`ve contacted some Lancs sources/players who have expressed interest..but I`ve not seen any follow through.
If they were to join the party I`m sure they would be most welcome & surely could raise at least one good representative team. This would undoubtedly strengthen the Northern 4NCL event, as would more entries from other areas mentioned
Such a move(s) might hopefully be a prelude to us regaining a northern venue..
Preston would be a great centre...maybe even Blackpool.
Manchester currently have a full team of 6 picked for each of the 11 rounds, so getting through without defaults (aim 1) seems likely to be satisfied
Yes, last year we defaulted on one or two occasions which didnt help, and it might easily have been more if some of us hadn`t pulled out some last minute `stops`.
BRING BACK THE BCF