POSTPONED - The 2nd London Team Rapidplay

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
John Sargent

POSTPONED - The 2nd London Team Rapidplay

Post by John Sargent » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:59 pm

THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED - PLEASE READ BELOW FOR DETAILS

Dear all,

Our sincere apologies to all concerned but we have had to postpone the 2nd London Team Rapidplay at more or less the last minute (15/Nov/2011, 11 days before the event). It is obviously incredibly poor form to postone or cancel a chess tournament, especially so soon after the incredibly successful Imperial College Chess Congress. We would highly appreciate if you could disseminate this message to those that have previously received e-mails regarding the event, and want to extend our apologies to those individual players who were looking forward to the event as well. The explanation for this is as follows.

A society of a musical nature has booked out the hall which is directly above the excellent playing venue, for the entire day on Saturday the 26th of November. In addition to this, rehearsals for the concert as well as the concert itself are understood to be going on for the entire duration of the day.

Unfortunately, we are unable to reschedule the tournament or move it to a different room due to administrative issues beyond our control – we were only notified of the above situation on the 14th of November, 2011. This does not leave us with sufficient time to find an alternate venue, which was also not provided for us. This puts us in a tough situation – hope the event works in the existing venue or wait until next time (and address the room booking issues with Imperial College directly).

We would categorically be unable to guarantee an environment quiet enough for a decent level of chess to be played, so it is with great regret that we had to postpone the event.

This is devastating for us as to be honest, Rapidplay events that have been previously held at Imperial College have been incredibly enjoyable and very social. I would like to emphasise that we fully intend to host another Imperial College Chess Congress soon, and that the Rapidplay is merely being postponed to a later date (we’re hoping for April-May 2012, more news when we know more) rather than being cancelled as an event.

I look forward to seeing many of you on the London chess scene in the near future, and I also look forward to seeing many others at the next Imperial College event.

Yours sincerely,
John Sargent
Competitions Secretary
Imperial College Chess Club
Last edited by John Sargent on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sabrina Chevannes

Re: The 2nd London Team Rapidplay - 26/Nov/2011

Post by Sabrina Chevannes » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Hey John

This sounds great! I didn't know it happened last year! I really like the sound of it, as the team thing makes it much more sociable!

Can I arrange for a couple of girls teams to go along? :)

Or will this be seen as sexist? :s

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Sabrina Chevannes wrote:This sounds great! I didn't know it happened last year!
The 1st of these was held at the start of April. It was a very successful event, but it had one or two ways it could be improved. Judging from the blurb above, John has taken measures to get around the difficulties created last time.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:43 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sabrina Chevannes wrote:This sounds great! I didn't know it happened last year!
The 1st of these was held at the start of April. It was a very successful event, but it had one or two ways it could be improved. Judging from the blurb above, John has taken measures to get around the difficulties created last time.
Will you be arbitratingalong?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:Will you be arbitratingalong?
Well, I haven't been invited yet...

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:Will you be arbitratingalong?
Well, I haven't been invited yet...
He has been now ;)

Please also note: Due to the ECF's generous loan of digital clocks for the event, the time control has been amended to the favourable 25 minutes + 10 seconds per move starting from move one. Due to the slightly extended playing session, times have been updated accordingly.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:01 pm

The change to incremental time controls ties in with what I was saying in the other thread, about how any sensible arbiter will make sure the event they're arbiting has incremental time controls...

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:02 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:The change to incremental time controls ties in with what I was saying in the other thread, about how any sensible arbiter will make sure the event they're arbiting has incremental time controls...
Whew! Am I glad of that...
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

John Sargent

Post by John Sargent » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:The change to incremental time controls ties in with what I was saying in the other thread, about how any sensible arbiter will make sure the event they're arbiting has incremental time controls...
Official disclaimer: Organiser distances himself from any and all zealous Birmingham-based politics :wink: The views of any invited arbiters are theirs alone!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:05 pm

John Sargent wrote:
Official disclaimer: Organiser distances himself from any and all zealous Birmingham-based politics :wink: The views of any invited arbiters are theirs alone!
Black Country, actually. :lol:

John Sargent

Re: POSTPONED - The 2nd London Team Rapidplay

Post by John Sargent » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:52 pm

(This post is a repeat of the first post's edit, and intended as a 'bump' to bring the thread to the attention of any previously interested parties)

Dear all,

Our sincere apologies to all concerned but we have had to postpone the 2nd London Team Rapidplay at more or less the last minute (15/Nov/2011, 11 days before the event). It is obviously incredibly poor form to postone or cancel a chess tournament, especially so soon after the incredibly successful Imperial College Chess Congress. We would highly appreciate if you could disseminate this message to those that have previously received e-mails regarding the event, and want to extend our apologies to those individual players who were looking forward to the event as well. The explanation for this is as follows.

A society of a musical nature has booked out the hall which is directly above the excellent playing venue, for the entire day on Saturday the 26th of November. In addition to this, rehearsals for the concert as well as the concert itself are understood to be going on for the entire duration of the day.

Unfortunately, we are unable to reschedule the tournament or move it to a different room due to administrative issues beyond our control – we were only notified of the above situation on the 14th of November, 2011. This does not leave us with sufficient time to find an alternate venue, which was also not provided for us. This puts us in a tough situation – hope the event works in the existing venue or wait until next time (and address the room booking issues with Imperial College directly).

We would categorically be unable to guarantee an environment quiet enough for a decent level of chess to be played, so it is with great regret that we had to postpone the event.

This is devastating for us as to be honest, Rapidplay events that have been previously held at Imperial College have been incredibly enjoyable and very social. I would like to emphasise that we fully intend to host another Imperial College Chess Congress soon, and that the Rapidplay is merely being postponed to a later date (we’re hoping for April-May 2012, more news when we know more) rather than being cancelled as an event.

I look forward to seeing many of you on the London chess scene in the near future, and I also look forward to seeing many others at the next Imperial College event.

Yours sincerely,
John Sargent
Competitions Secretary
Imperial College Chess Club

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:03 pm

When I was a student at Southampton University, we had a season when we played home matches directly under the university ballroom which was holding a rock disco night. All was well for about an hour then all hell would break loose.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:When I was a student at Southampton University, we had a season when we played home matches directly under the university ballroom which was holding a rock disco night. All was well for about an hour then all hell would break loose.
That happened once when I played for Bristol University. My opponent, a teacher, blundered immediately after complaining about Pink Floyd singing 'We don't need no education'.

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:17 am

I remember playing for Roland Graf's Grasshoppers chess club upstairs at the Highfields Community Centre in Leicester in '82 or '83 while Misty in Roots were playing in the hall downstairs. Our room upstairs was bouncing with the 'thub thub thub' of the heavy dub. Great stuff.

The ultimate chess event would be where all the games are played with classic 70s & 80s rock / heavy metal in the background, especially Rainbow's 'Kill the King'.