CJ Banned?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Charlie Storey

Re: CJ Banned?

Post by Charlie Storey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Charley Storey - you're clearly a clown - which may or may not be a good qualification for ECF President - but your presidential qualifications are entirely irrelevant to this thread.

Hi Paul,

thanks for this personal derogatory comment.

if you think a Clown is someone that;

1. Teaches Chess to 100s of Children every Year
2. Writes a Global Sell Out Book
3. Is a recognised Chess Master
4. Pioneered Live Internet Chess Games
5. Has won over 70 UK Opens
6. Has defeated GM Michael Adams twice!
7. Commissioned by FOXY Openings to do a DVD on The White Sniper
8. Finished top of the class at University.
9. Played for Blyth Spartans F.C.
10 Is a Professional Football Coach.

Then I think your right.

You on the other hand aren't a clown - well not a very famous one, because I've never heard of you - then again I rarely go to the circus because I am promoting and teaching chess.

Next time you have a cheap pop at a quality Circus Performer - remember I'l be watching you.

The Sniper Chief

http://www.CharlieChess.com
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:21 pm

EDIT: Spoilsport. Funny typo got corrected.

But let's take this to the correct thread.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:27 pm

To be honest I don't see why Charlie should not become ECF President he has it all it seems. Why not give it a chance.

Don't see anyone else coming forward.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:28 pm

CS: you are clearly a clown if you think that bigging yourself up in pursuit of the ECF Presidency is at all relevant to this thread.
FIDE Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Does anyone know where in the Sunday Times the story was published? Was it only published online and have I wasted £2.20 buying the print edition? The only media stories I've seen so far have been in the online Guardian, which was reprinted in the Sunday edition of the Observer (7 August 2011).
Well it's mentioned briefly as a light-hearted item in the Atticus diary column.

Considering that Raymond Keene in the chess column (and in the daily Times column on Saturday) seems to be implying that deadlines for publication to the Times are several weeks before printing, it's perhaps not surprising that it hasn't made it in any depth.

matt_ward

Post by matt_ward » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Well he should put it in his thread he has just wrote rather than continuously commenting on becoming President in this thread.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Does anyone know where in the Sunday Times the story was published? Was it only published online and have I wasted £2.20 buying the print edition? The only media stories I've seen so far have been in the online Guardian, which was reprinted in the Sunday edition of the Observer (7 August 2011).
Well it's mentioned briefly as a light-hearted item in the Atticus diary column.

Considering that Raymond Keene in the chess column (and in the daily Times column on Saturday) seems to be implying that deadlines for publication to the Times are several weeks before printing, it's perhaps not surprising that it hasn't made it in any depth.
Thanks. I see that there is an online article at:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk

"Chess champ’s anger over gay T-shirt ban"

"Published: 7 August 2011"

Then you hit the paywall: "Welcome to The Times and The Sunday Times websites. Available exclusively by subscription."

Wonder if it's worth paying £1 to see what was said there?

FWIW, the Atticus piece (page 19) is less than 2 inches and only about 60 words. Ending with the limp joke "How best to settle the dispute? Prawns at dawn?"

I'm actually quite impressed that the Guardian/Observer has such a quick turnaround time compared to the Sunday Times. Or maybe Raymond Keene's contacts at the Times/Sunday Times don't quite warrant to getting space in the paper the next day?
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:48 pm

Ernie Lazenby wrote:Dont mis quote me you will not find anywhere that I have said the shirt was offensive I said it was inappropriate for the particular occasion as I would any t shirt bearing any logo- too casual..
I apologise to Ernie if he thinks I have misrepresented his position. I prefaced my attempt to summarise his view with the words "I think" to attempt to clarify it was my understanding of his view, not necessarily his view itself.

I formed this view based on his comments:
Ernie Lazenby wrote:One can speculate that the audience at Sheffield for the prize giving would contain people who are against gay rights because of (1) religous reasons or 2. They believe the man and women union as being the only acceptable way of life. Its not reasonable to expect everyone to accept CJ's believes and therefore something less controversial in dress sense at an important time in our national chess would have been much wiser.
I took this to indicate he felt the issue with the t-shirt was its content not how casual it was.
Ernie Lazenby wrote:It is clear to any person who knows the facts that CJ made errors of judgement. The worst by far was going off and shouting about what took place before the ECF board where informed. His choice of clothing for such an occasion was not appropriate however thats not the core issue any longer is it.
I disagree strongly with this conclusion. It would have been better if CJ had responded calmly. But it is unreasonable to expect it of him. The core issue for me is why he was made to feel the victim of prejudice. The person in charge could and should have made every effort to talk him down from the ledge, in my opinion.

Jonathan Berry

Post by Jonathan Berry » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Lara Barnes's http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 360#p68827 actions make complete sense. Thank you, Lara, for posting that!

Warning: OT. Earlier in the thread, it was jumping to conclusions, tabloid press, inappropriate dress, hidden meanings, inappropriate meanings, and hijacking the debate. I'd like to indulge all of those sins, and give away the chance to make money (the market might be "straight to the press men of a certain age"), with this:

T-shirt. Pic of Rebekah. If monochrome, then red. Caption: "I'd edit her." Charity inappropriately supported: literacy.

My apologies if anything similar is already in circulation. Out here in the (former) colonies we don't necessarily follow ye Olde Country as closely as we might.

Charlie Storey

Post by Charlie Storey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:54 pm

I was particularly upset that Cj used his own money to get the 'big' players there.

This seems a contradiction to the fair play of a tournament;

On One hand players are paid thousands of pounds to play on the other it is made far more difficult for others to stay in nice accommodation and can barely afford a laptop or the latest chess books / DVDs / Chess Programs.

Although it was good intention in the interest of 'fair play' and to avoid 'conflicts of interest' any CJ Sponsorship should have gone to extra prize fund such that all competitors could have a chance of it.

Fair enough sponsor away if he is not in that role but to me it stank and showed an error of judgement which was compounded at the prize-giving.

F.M. Charlie Storey - The Sniper Chief.
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Charlie Storey wrote:On One hand players are paid thousands of pounds to play
Evidence or shut up.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:07 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:
Evidence or shut up.
In fairness, I think this is uncontested. CJs sponorship is not reflected in the prize fund. I believe it was paid as starting fees.

On the other hand:
-this is a normal way to attract GMs. It is fair, to qualify for it you just need to play well enough to get a big Elo.
-it doesn't belong in this thread

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:
Evidence or shut up.
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 899#p64899

The exact figure is £16,585.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:34 pm

I think that it's time for a poll and since I am stupid to know how to set one up, may I suggest that there be two questions 1) Should the ECF accept CJ's resignation Yes/No 2) if Yes, should Charlie Storey be the next ECF president Yes/No. I think that the results would be interesting.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:41 pm

John Moore wrote:I think that it's time for a poll and since I am stupid to know how to set one up, may I suggest that there be two questions 1) Should the ECF accept CJ's resignation Yes/No 2) if Yes, should Charlie Storey be the next ECF president Yes/No. I think that the results would be interesting.
You nearly persuaded me, but not quite. I suspect everyone would rehash their view from this thread and it would give the debate more life when I hope we are close to closing it out.

It appears CJ has overwhelming support, even from those with reservations. (Either about the t-shirt or RDK).

Charley appears not to have overwelming support, there is already a separate thread for that.