English Chess Forum

A home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:52 pm 
The 2011 Leicester Chess Congress will take place Friday 30th Sept to Sunday 2nd October 2011 at Regent College, Regent Road, Leicester LE1 7LW

Sections

FIDE Open

Open to all players. This event will be FIDE rated. In addition, the highest placed player not already qualified will qualify to play in the 2012 British Championships.

1st Prize £250 ; 2nd £100 ; 3rd £50 ;
Entry Fee £25

Major

Open to players graded below 160

1st Prize £200 ; 2nd £100 ; 3rd £50 ;
Entry Fee £23

Minor

Open to players graded below 130

1st Prize £200 ; 2nd £100 ; 3rd £50 ;
Entry Fee £23

Full Details : http://www.leicesterchess.co.uk


Attachments:
Leicester_Atkins_2011.pdf [83.41 KiB]
Downloaded 73 times


Last edited by Sean Hewitt on Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:29 pm
Posts: 923
Location: NORTH WEST
Should be a good event. I guess you ment that the Open winner qualifies for the 2012 British at North Shields/Tynemouth.
Incidentally, the Grand Hotel at Tynemouth looks a nice spot for those willing to spash out...but I`m sure there are good budget B&Bs to choose from.

_________________
BRING BACK THE BCF


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Posts: 961
Location: Sutton Coldfield
David Pardoe wrote:
Should be a good event. I guess you ment that the Open winner qualifies for the 2012 British at North Shields/Tynemouth.
Incidentally, the Grand Hotel at Tynemouth looks a nice spot for those willing to spash out...but I`m sure there are good budget B&Bs to choose from.

Sean's using his time machine again:

Sean Hewitt wrote:
The 2011 Leicester Chess Congress will take place Friday 30th Sept to Sunday 2nd October 2010 at Regent College, Regent Road, Leicester LE1 7LW

_________________
Ian Kingston
www.iankingston.com
square65.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:31 pm 
Ian Kingston wrote:
Sean's using his time machine again:

Sean Hewitt wrote:
The 2011 Leicester Chess Congress will take place Friday 30th Sept to Sunday 2nd October 2010 at Regent College, Regent Road, Leicester LE1 7LW

Cheers. Sorted!


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 pm
Posts: 95
Is membership of the ECF compulsory to enter a FIDE rated event, or only if you want your games FIDE rated? A couple of weeks ago I considered entering Leicester but was put off by the fact that the open is FIDE rated. Have I misunderstood the entry requirements?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Posts: 2318
Location: Bideford
Dragoljub Sudar wrote:
Is membership of the ECF compulsory to enter a FIDE rated event, or only if you want your games FIDE rated? A couple of weeks ago I considered entering Leicester but was put off by the fact that the open is FIDE rated. Have I misunderstood the entry requirements?


It's compulsory to enter a FIDE-rated event in England if you wish to play under the England flag. As you seem not to have a FIDE ID at the moment, you would be able to avoid that rule by picking a nationality other than England, should there be one you are eligible to claim.

_________________
http://westcountrychess.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 pm
Posts: 95
Thanks Jack. I just fancied entering a local congress, playing a few games, and later having a few beers with mates who have entered (various sections) but the only section I'm eligible for is the open and it's a bit frustrating to find I can't enter without being an ECF member. Oh well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:20 am 
Dragoljub Sudar wrote:
Thanks Jack. I just fancied entering a local congress, playing a few games, and later having a few beers with mates who have entered (various sections) but the only section I'm eligible for is the open and it's a bit frustrating to find I can't enter without being an ECF member. Oh well.

Why not just join the ECF? Chances are you'll need to next year anyway.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Posts: 11497
Sean Hewitt wrote:
Why not just join the ECF? Chances are you'll need to next year anyway.


Presumably the £ 27 puts him off. It is quite a large Chess Prevention Tax.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:49 am 
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:
Why not just join the ECF? Chances are you'll need to next year anyway.


Presumably the £ 27 puts him off. It is quite a large Chess Prevention Tax.

On the contrary, more players play in the Open since it became FIDE rated (and hence, ECF membership compulsory).


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 pm
Posts: 95
Spot on Roger.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Posts: 2318
Location: Bideford
Well, you could always play as a representative of another federation. Having looked your surname up on the FIDE list, I would assume you are of Croatian/Serbian/other former Yugoslav ancestry. Why not put one of those nations in the "Federation" field?

_________________
http://westcountrychess.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 pm
Posts: 95
Yes, I'd probably be eligible to play footie for 3 or 4 of the former republics if I was good enough. However, I'll only play under the English flag, being born & bred. If other players want to play in a FIDE rated event and don't fancy paying £27 they now know of a nice little loophole: pretend you have a foreign ancestor!

I think I'll content myself with cheering on the mighty Rams on the box away to the Foxes.

I suppose next year I'll have to decide whether to upgrade from Bronze/Silver to Gold. Then again, my grade should be lower, or if it isn't I suppose I could always follow the example (allegedly) of certain well known players and lose a few games to lower my grade!
(ps. tried to add a smilie but couldn't)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:05 pm 
Dragoljub Sudar wrote:
However, I'll only play under the English flag, being born & bred.

I thought we'd just established that you won't play under the English flag? :oops: :lol:


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:34 pm
Posts: 95
Ha! Very Good.

English flag? Yes. English Chess Federation? Not unless you drag me kicking and screaming. Or change the bye-laws...

Anyway, hope the congress goes well Sean. Give Barnesy a tough draw to sharpen him up for Gambit!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group