Grading Query

General discussions about ratings.
Steve Crisp

Grading Query

Post by Steve Crisp » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:10 pm

After a long break of around 7/8 years I have finally returned to chess :roll:

My last published grade was 2006 which in itself was the result of dragging forward literally a handful of games I played in 04/05.

My question is this - will my grade for "next year" be calculated based in using my last published grade or will I be treated as a "new" player?

Roger de Coverly

Re: Grading Query

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Steve Crisp wrote:My question is this - will my grade for "next year" be calculated based in using my last published grade or will I be treated as a "new" player?
As far as calculations are concerned, you would be treated as a new player. If you play in Congresses, they would probably refer to the historic grades to determine eligibility and where to place you in the seeded pairings.

You would need at least 9 games to re-establish a published grade.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Steve Crisp wrote:After a long break of around 7/8 years I have finally returned to chess :roll:

My last published grade was 2006 which in itself was the result of dragging forward literally a handful of games I played in 04/05.

My question is this - will my grade for "next year" be calculated based in using my last published grade or will I be treated as a "new" player?
Is this you?
http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/getre ... ef=109088E

Welcome back - can I ask what has made you return (or what kept you away)?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Steve Crisp

Post by Steve Crisp » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi Mick,

Yes it is :D

I had been playing pretty much 35+ games a year since I was ooh..12 :D and just needed a break I guess,didnt really miss it much while I was gone and found other ways to fill my time.

Then about a month ago it was just like a light going on in my head and I thought I want to play again...so here I am!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Steve

Thanks, I get the impression a few players have decided they have had enough and want a break (maybe just from evening chess), but a few people are coming back too - always trying to see what we can do to encourage the latter and discourage the former
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Phil Taylor-Bowd

Post by Phil Taylor-Bowd » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:42 am

Hi Steve

Great to see you back on the scene and nice to see you here too! I've also taken a couple of multi-year breaks from chess since my childhood, it's perhaps surprising that it's not more prevalent amongst amateur players.

If you want to get back to 35+ games a year, you'll be very welcome at one or more of the upcoming Bournemouth congresses (October / January / April). Either way, hope to catch up with you again during the course of the season!
Any postings reflect my personal views and do not necessarily represent those of any chess organisation of which I am a member.

Bournemouth Chess Congresses
Wimborne Chess Club
Dorset Chess

Steve Crisp

Post by Steve Crisp » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi Phil,

Already entered - in fact the Bmth Congress 14-16th Oct will be my first competitive games for almost 9 years...looking forward to it ..with some apprehension!