Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Venues, fixtures, teams and related matters.
Alex Holowczak

Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:23 pm

The Division 1 and 2 games for both rounds this weekend are online: http://www.4ncl.co.uk/downloads.htm

Division 3 Round 1 is online, Round 2 is being done overnight.

While I'm writing this, it's worth pointing out how the sight of a triplicate scoresheet sent waves of confusion through people at the Division Three venue:
(1) So the scoresheet had three columns, and yes, a dividing line between white and black moves would have been nice. There wasn't one. So people proceeded to write the black moves in the second column, in the spaces for moves 25-48. I know from conversation that one only realised this when they got to move 25!
(2) I assume it was announced that you had to hand in the top two copies. I think we had about a 85% success rate at getting access to two yellow copies; one of the miscreants being a forumite...
(3) Playing illegal moves is bad, and makes our lives awkward. Even if they deliver checkmate... (see Div 3 R1)
Last edited by Alex Holowczak on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Grobler

Re: Division 1 & 2 games online - BOTH rounds!

Post by David Grobler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:37 pm

ahh...having got home....and tried entering my games onto chessbase....I realise I may make the odd mistake when writing down moves :-(
sorry mate...best of luck guessing it all !

Michael Yeo

Post by Michael Yeo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: (2) I assume it was announced that you had to hand in the top two copies. I think we had about a 85% success rate at getting access two yellow copies; one of the miscreants being a forumite...
The forumite I suspect (since I happened to enquire as to why he was in possession of the yellow copy of his scoresheet in the pub) missed the announcement. Through no fault of his own (and every fault of the centralised booking system that had his name in writing), the hotel had no record of him and check-in took him half an hour longer than it should have.

I do think the design of the score sheets could be improved. Do we really need the logo where moves 69 - 72 should be? My opponent was one who started to write moves in the wrong column. It would be better if the White and Black headings were in the centre of each column! There could be a written instruction to hand in the top two copies. One opponent today refused to surrender the yellow copy on the grounds that his red copy was illegible - the carbon for the bottom copy is very faint.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Division 1a rd 2 is missing...

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Michael Yeo wrote:
I do think the design of the score sheets could be improved. Do we really need the logo where moves 69 - 72 should be?
Even more sensible would be to have the scoresheet ending at move 70 (or 60, or 80...). 50 move rule claims aren't straight forward when a you go onto a second scoresheet but the counting starts before move 68! Scoresheet designers these days seem determined to come up with new layouts for the moves which either give no thought to these things, or are done to deliberately annoy people.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:02 pm

David Grobler wrote:ahh...having got home....and tried entering my games onto chessbase....I realise I may make the odd mistake when writing down moves :-(
That's alright, we're used to these things now. :)
Michael Yeo wrote:The forumite I suspect (since I happened to enquire as to why he was in possession of the yellow copy of his scoresheet in the pub) missed the announcement. Through no fault of his own (and every fault of the centralised booking system that had his name in writing), the hotel had no record of him and check-in took him half an hour longer than it should have.
You were not the forumite to whom I referred. The forumite was one who really should have known better having used triplicates many times, who I'm sure made a perfectly honest mistake. :)
Michael Yeo wrote:One opponent today refused to surrender the yellow copy on the grounds that his red copy was illegible - the carbon for the bottom copy is very faint.
He's just as obliged to hand in the second copy of the game as he is the first as far as I understand; it wasn't an optional extra. If his red copy is illegible, then he or she should press harder when he records.
Richard Bates wrote:Division 1a rd 2 is missing...
Aha, that's a website-uploader error... Thanks!

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
David Grobler wrote:ahh...having got home....and tried entering my games onto chessbase....I realise I may make the odd mistake when writing down moves :-(
That's alright, we're used to these things now. :)

From memory....23....Bc8 was actually 23 ....Bc6....still...who cares ...just a piece of paper eh?
Bet youre glad they all aren't like me...:-)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:11 pm

David Grobler wrote:From memory....23....Bc8 was actually 23 ....Bc6....still...who cares ...just a piece of paper eh?
Well we usually get two scoresheets, so things like that come out in the wash. :)

I'm not sure who did your Division 3 Round 2 game - which is what I think you're referring to - but I'll keep an eye peeled when it gets published/sent to me.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:(3) Playing illegal moves is bad, and makes our lives awkward. Even if they deliver checkmate... (see Div 3 R1)
Many thanks to you and all who inputted the games, but for my peace of mind can you say what this bit is referring to? There are nine games in the Division 3, Round 1, pgn that end in mate. Was one of them really an illegal move?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:(3) Playing illegal moves is bad, and makes our lives awkward. Even if they deliver checkmate... (see Div 3 R1)
Many thanks to you and all who inputted the games, but for my peace of mind can you say what this bit is referring to? There are nine games in the Division 3, Round 1, pgn that end in mate. Was one of them really an illegal move?
Keep searching. :wink:

The game we inputted did not feature the move giving mate, because you can't input illegal moves on ChessBase. So the game stops before the illegal move, and there's a note explaining what happened.

Although the move giving mate was illegal, and thus it wasn't checkmate, the player was deemed to have "resigned" because he'd already signed the scoresheet with a result on it when a spectator pointed it out.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Division 1a rd 2 is missing...
This error has now been fixed. :D

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
David Grobler wrote:From memory....23....Bc8 was actually 23 ....Bc6....still...who cares ...just a piece of paper eh?
Well we usually get two scoresheets, so things like that come out in the wash. :)

I'm not sure who did your Division 3 Round 2 game - which is what I think you're referring to - but I'll keep an eye peeled when it gets published/sent to me.
I ended up inputting this game, but as your opponent had notated that move correctly it was no real issue.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:38 pm

You're missing about 30 moves from my Round 2 game. Stopped 2 moves after i finally threw away the draw, but missing 20odd moves of how to win with K+Q vs K+R...
Last edited by Richard Bates on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:39 pm

I just received the file, and it included 23...Bc6, not 23...Bc8. :D

The Division 3 Round 2 file has been sent to the webmaster, who I assume will upload the files when he first gets opportunity to do so.

Done in record time! 8)

David Grobler

Post by David Grobler » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:45 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:

I ended up inputting this game, but as your opponent had notated that move correctly it was no real issue.
well done Rob...I am grateful of your time spent trying to make sense of all the nonsense we write down